Air Conditioning Mechanic This recruitment is open to the public and will remain open for a minimum of five (5) business days. This recruitment will be open on a continuous basis and will close at 11:59p.m. (PST) on the day the Department needs are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
Effective July 2, 2021 - 3.04% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 0.46% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
Some positions in this job classification may be assigned to work schedules that include weekends, evening shift, or night shift and may be assigned to work in a Correctional Facility. Night shift or Evening shift differential is paid in addition to hourly salary as listed. An employee who is regularly assigned to a Correctional Facility shall be paid an additional $1.00 per hour. Click here for more information on the County of Orange.THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list to fill current and future Air Conditioning Mechanic vacancies. This eligible list may also be used to fill vacancies within other County Agencies.
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:THE OPPORTUNITY
The Orange County Sheriff's Department is seeking experienced individuals who possess extensive technical expertise in the field of HVAC/Air Conditioning maintenance, installation and repair. Air Conditioning Mechanics are responsible for installing, maintaining and repairing various types of commercial/industrial air conditioning, heating, and refrigeration equipment; installing and maintaining heating and ventilating duct systems; and performing maintenance, repair and calibration on heating and air conditioning control devices. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
The most successful Air Conditioning Mechanic candidates will possess a minimum of 4 years of HVAC experience, primarily in the installation, repair and maintenance of industrial and commercial air conditioning systems.Technical Expertise
Analytical and Problem Solving Skills
- Knowledge of and ability to install, maintain, and repair various types of air conditioning, heating, and refrigeration systems.
- Lay out, install, and maintain heating and ventilating duct systems.
- Maintain and repair steam and water boilers.
- Repair and replace control valves.
- Complete scheduled inspections of all equipment, check pressure valves, and belts
- Maintain records of inspections and work performed.
- Clean coils, oils fans, change filters, and adjust air flow.
- Troubleshoot units not functioning properly and repair or replace defective or worn parts; diagnose problems and repair pneumatic and electronic control systems.
- Determine parts and equipment needed for maintenance and repair work and submit job estimates.
- Review operational charts on boilers and air conditioning equipment to determine efficient operation or significant deviations from normal.
- Accurately and concisely exchanges information with others, both orally and in writing.
- Effectively follows written and oral instruction and is able to give instructions to others.
- Actively listens to others for full understanding of what is being communicated.
- Comprehends and interprets technical material related to the job.
- Records project information to ensure accurate reporting.
- Ability to engage in safe work practices.
- Ability to comply with all applicable regulations and safety procedures regarding the installation, maintenance and repair of air conditioning/HVAC systems.
- Possession of a Universal Technician certificate as required by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in accordance with Section 608 of the Clean Air Act for dealing with refrigerants.
for the complete listing of the minimum qualifications for Air Conditioning Mechanic.SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must not have been convicted of a felony or be on any form of probation and must pass an extensive background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner.
Background screening includes completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e.. degree, license, or official transcripts).RECRUITMENT PROCESS
The Orange County Sheriff's Department screens all application materials for minimum qualifications. After screening, candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All candidates will be notified via email of their status in the process.ELIGIBLE LIST
After all procedures have been completed, the Sheriff Human Resources will establish an eligible list of qualified candidates.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.Performance exam | (Weighted 100%):
Candidates will be required to participate in a hands-on performance exam consisting of job-related tasks. Only the highest scoring candidates will be placed on the eligible list.
Based on the Department's needs, the recruitment / selection procedures listed above may be modified. Candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Nereida Gutierrez at (714) 834-5845 or email at email@example.com.
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.