The City of Fort Lauderdale is seeking a Surveying Supervisor for its Engineering Division in the Public Works Department.
The ideal candidate will be a survey party chief who will provide day-to-day supervision of staff responsible for conducting field surveys and layout work on engineering, mapping and construction projects. We Build Community, in a fast-paced organization that operates by vision, strategy, and action. Would you fit in? Click here
. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Plans, organizes and supervises the work of a field survey party
- Supervises subordinate staff, to include preparation of performance evaluations and recommending disciplinary actions as needed
- Supervises the establishment of survey lines, points and angles and elevations, the taking of cross sections and the measurement of areas
- Provides survey investigation of new subdivisions; checks proposed street grades and drainage plans
- Originates, maintains, reviews and submits survey field notes, sketches and calculations
- Uses and maintains survey instruments, equipment and vehicles; drives survey vehicles to job sites
- Collects survey data during new installation of water, sewer and storm drain lines by city personnel or outside contractors
- Makes mathematical computations and prepares survey notes, sketches, drawings and charts
Performs related work as required JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT: We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
1. Graduation from a standard high school or possession of an acceptable G.E.D. certificate is required (college-level courses in surveying & mapping, geomatics, or GIS is preferred).
2. Three (3) years of progressively responsible surveying work experience, which includes at least one (1) year experience in specifically in supervising a field crew, hands-on experience in the setup, adjustment, operation, and care of survey instruments is required.
3. CST (Certified Survey Technician) Level III
Additional qualifying experience or completion of coursework at an accredited college or university in a job-related field, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for one year of the required experience or education. Special Requirements: Essential Employees
may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work. Non-Essential Employees
will not be required to work during a declared emergency but may be required to work in some capacity after the declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine when the employee will be required to work. HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION:
Depending on the number of applications and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training & Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants will be required to pass a medical examination, including drug screening , prior to appointment. Open until sufficient applicants have applied.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form (J204
This job classification is in Management Category V for benefit purposes.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous