PH1760G FIRST DAY OF FILING :
Wednesday, June 8, 2022, at 8:30 a.m., Pacific Time (PT)
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job OpportunityPosition Information:
Supervises and directs the work of Epidemiologists and professional support staff in the provision of planning, designing, implementing, and evaluating multiple health-related surveillance systems, epidemiologic studies and field investigations. Classification Standards:
Positions allocable to this class report to a physician or higher-level manager and are responsible for providing administrative and technical supervision to Epidemiologists and other professional research and support staff. Positions direct the planning, design, implementation, and analysis of multiple epidemiological studies, including large field investigations and surveillance systems in a health program. This responsibility includes the coordination of epidemiology operations and activities across surveillance systems, studies, and field investigation in addition to overseeing complex data analyses. Some assignments in this class require positions to function as senior-level epidemiologist, which may not involve direct supervision of lower-level staff, by performing highly complex and specialized epidemiologic studies and projects that incorporate and have significant impact on multiple public health program areas. These positions also provide highly specialized guidance and direction to Epidemiologists and other professionals in a variety of public health program areas and may coordinate the work and activities of epidemiology teams across multiple public health epidemiology programs.
Essential Job Functions
Supervises and provides technical direction to Epidemiologists and other professional research staff conducting multiple health-related epidemiological studies, field investigations, and surveillance systems including large-scale and high profile outbreak investigations.
Functions as a primary or lead liaison with state and federal public health officials on epidemiology and surveillance activities related to a specific content area (e.g., HIV/AIDS, environmental health tracking, maternal-child health, or chronic non-infectious diseases).
Provides oversight of grants and cooperative agreements that support epidemiologic studies and surveillance activities.
Conducts complex epidemiologic analyses that involve large datasets, or linkage of multiple datasets, and require complex statistical analyses such as multivariate methods and advanced biostatistical techniques (e.g., non-parametric regression or hierarchical regression).
Represents the Department as a specialized or content-area epidemiology specialist on external committees, expert panels, and planning bodies.
Functions as the primary or lead author on manuscripts for publication in peer-review journals and presents research findings at professional meetings.
Advises programs on program evaluations that require complex research designs.
Requirements Selection RequirementsOption I:
Two years of journey-level* work experience planning, designing, implementing, and evaluating health-related surveillance systems, epidemiologic studies and field investigations at the level of the County of Los Angeles class of Epidemiologist**Option II:
A Master's degree*** from an accredited college or university with specialization in epidemiology or its equivalent.-AND-
Five years of work experience designing, conducting, and evaluating epidemiologic studies and field investigations.Option III:
A Doctoral degree*** from an accredited college or university with specialization in epidemiology or its equivalent.-AND-
Two years of work experience designing, conducting, and evaluating epidemiologic studies and field investigations.License:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. Physical Class:
2 - Light :
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10-pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved. Special Requirement Information:
- *Journey-level experience applies to a person who is an experienced worker, not a trainee, and is fully qualified and able to perform moderately complex epidemiological work without supervision.
- **Experience at the level of Los Angeles County classification of Epidemiologist includes having a Master's degree or higher from an accredited college or university with a specialization in epidemiology or its equivalent and experience planning, designing, implementing, evaluating, and managing health-related surveillance systems, original epidemiological studies and field investigations; and provides consultation to departmental staff and external health partners on epidemiological research methodology and design.
- ***In order to receive credit for any type of college or university degree, such as a Master's Degree or higher, you must attach a legible copy of the Official Diploma, Official Transcript(s), or Official Letter from the accredited institution, which shows the area of specialization and the date the degree was awarded, with Registrar's signature and school seal, to the application.
- All documents must be attached to your application at the time of filing, or e-mailed to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission or your application may be rejected as incomplete.
- Experience is evaluated on the basis of a verifiable 40-hour work week, prorated part-time experience will be acceptable.
- No Out-of-Class Experience will be accepted.
Credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualifications:
- Work experience using Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping software to perform thematic mapping and spatial analysis with spatial analyst (e.g., density) and/or spatial statistics tools (e.g., analyzing patterns, mapping clusters).
- Work experience working with public health programs such as (e.g., Chronic Disease, HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis etc.)
Additional Information Examination Content:
Once we have determined that you meet one of our requirement options described above the examination process will consist of an evaluation of experience based on application information, desirable qualifications, and supplemental questionnaire information submitted at the time of filing weighted 100%
Applicants must meet the Selection Requirements and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination (evaluation of experience) to be added to the Eligible Register (hiring list).
Passing this examination and being added to the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment. Eligibility Information:
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be added to the Eligible Register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.
Complete applications will be processed on an as received basis and promulgated to the Eligible Register accordingly. Vacancy Information:
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur. Available Shift:
Any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. Application and Filing Information:
Applications must be filed ONLINE ONLY. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, fax, or in person will NOT be accepted. Any required documents and/or additional information, if any, must be received with your application at the time of filing online or sent to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov
within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission. Plan to submit your online application well in advance of 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on the County of Los Angeles Job Opportunities Website , you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button located on this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website. Applicants must submit their completed applications before 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing.
Please make sure you put in the time and effort when filling out your application and supplemental questions completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Selection Requirements as listed on this job bulletin. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely and correctly to receive full credit for any relevant education, training, and job experience you include. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work and duties performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be REJECTED.Important Notes:
Computer and Internet Access at Public Libraries:
- Please note that ALL information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination and selection process.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification(s) and/or Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. In doing so your application will be dispositioned as INCOMPLETE and will not be accepted.
- Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered a valid response; therefore, using such statements will also result in your application being rejected as INCOMPLETE.
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. You may refer to their website
for more information regarding the reopening of some libraries with limited hours throughout Los Angles County. Social Security Number:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. Do Not Share User ID, Email, And Password:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. COVID-19 Vaccination:
All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department. Fair Chance Employer:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the County of Los Angeles to provide equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal law. All positions are open to qualified men and women pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act. The County will follow all of its obligations under State and Federal laws regarding the provision of reasonable accommodations to applicants. County of Los Angeles Employment Information:
The Employment Information document can be viewed by copying and pasting the URL http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dhr/247636_EmploymentInformation.pdf
into a web browser search bar or click on the following link: County of Los Angeles Employment Information
Have any questions about anything? Please contact us using the following information: Department Contact Name:
Exam Analyst Department Contact Phone:
(323) 659-6546 Department Contact Email: HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922 Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099 Alternate Teletype Phone: