CLASS SUMMARY The City of Spokane Engineering Services Department is looking to hire a driven, detail-orientated Engineering Technician III to join our team.
The Engineering Services Department is the design and construction arm for the City of Spokane. We provide design and construction management for the utility and street projects. You would be responsible for assisting in the design of public works projects to include organizing, drawing plans, profiles, and specifications. A successful applicant possesses the ability to operate a personal computer requiring considerable knowledge of Autodesk AutoCAD software such as Civil 3D, Map 3D, and Land Desktop. In addition an Engineering Technician III should demonstrate a sound understanding of engineering terminology and strong interpersonal skills.
This position offers guaranteed pay increases annually and opportunities for advancement. As a City of Spokane employee, you will also be part of an excellent work environment with a great compensation plan, including medical, pension and 457 plan.
A career with the City of Spokane is more than a pathway to success. It's all of us, helping to build a better community, every day. If you find yourself wanting to pursue a career with the City of Spokane, then we encourage you to apply today!
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
- Organizes and draws plans, profiles, and specifications for public works projects. Prepares or assists in preparing labor and material estimates. Computes quantities, and prepares property and assessment district descriptions. Locates utilities, and assists in field checking plans.
- Assists in the design of public works projects. May assist in structural design. Checks plans for accuracy.
- Computes areas and percentage rates of assessment for properties and for local improvement districts. Computes costs for each property, prepares preliminary assessment rolls and prepares final assessment rolls.
- Performs difficult drafting work, and conducts studies and surveys relating to land use planning, zoning, or traffic control. Processes zone changes, permits, and petitions. May supervise part time or subordinate employees.
- May assist on a survey crew, perform other office work, or perform snow removal as required.
- Supervises maintenance of water distribution system records.
- Operates a calculator, computer, reproduction machine, and drafting equipment.
- Performs related work as required.
Combinations of education and experience that are equivalent to the following minimum qualifications are acceptable. Open Entry Requirements:
(Open-entry applicants must meet all requirements when they apply.)
- Education: Completion of two years of college (90 quarter credit hours or 60 semester credit hours) in Engineering related field to include algebra, trigonometry, surveying and drafting. Graduation from a four year college or university with a degree in Civil Engineering may substitute for the above requirements.
- Experience: At least three years of experience in operating modern computer-aided drafting/design program. Additional experience may substitute for the education requirements on a year for year basis.
- License: Valid driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
You must pass the examination for this classification to be eligible for employment by the City of Spokane. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit a City of Spokane employment application online by 4:00 p.m. on the filing cut-off date.
This examination consists of an online written test and a pass/fail performance test that are required, prior to hiring. Scoring weights are assigned as follows:ONLINE WRITTEN EXAMINATION DETAILS
- Test Date: Continuous examination schedule, until all positions are filled.
- Test Location: Online
- Approximate Duration of Examination: 3 hours
The written examination may include such subjects as:
- Plan Reading
- Standards and Specifications
- Test Date and Time: Determined by candidate availability.
- Test Location: City Hall, 808 W Spokane Falls Blvd, Spokane, WA 992011
- Approximate Duration of AutoCAD Examination: 1 hour
Upon request, at time of application, the City will provide alternative accessible tests to individuals with disabilities that impair manual, sensory or speaking skills needed to take the test, unless the test is intended to measure those skills.WRITTEN TEST DETAILS
You will receive a link to the examination in a separate email, on the morning of the examination. Please note that this email will be sent from FastTest (firstname.lastname@example.org). The test will be available for log-in, until 4:00 PM Pacific time, five days after the examination was sent.PERFORMANCE TEST DETAILS
The top 20 candidates based on written test scores will be contacted to schedule a performance examination. This is a pass/fail examination that is required, prior to hire. If a performance test is failed, the candidate will be removed from the Engineering Technician III - Office eligible list.We encourage you to apply immediately. Online applications must be completed and submitted before 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information, veteran/military status or disability status. As a Fair Chance employer, City of Spokane does not conduct initial background screening for non-public safety positions.COVID 19 SAFETY IN THE WORKPLACE
The safety of our employees and community are our highest priority. All employees are educated and trained on how to use proper social distancing, enhanced hygiene techniques, and personal protective equipment (PPE). As a public agency we are following all state required procedures in regards to PPE and COVID 19.
- Remote work when available for certain positions
- Daily cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces
- Temperature checks
- In office social distancing
- Use of video conferencing