Johnson County Mental Health is currently looking for an On-Call Peer Support Specialist
to work at the Shawnee location. Thesuccessful candidate will demonstrate recovery expertise in mental illness by successfully supporting others in their recovery and have the ability to demonstrate their own efforts at recovery. The candidate must self-identify as a present or former client of mental health services. This posting will remain open until it is filled.
Job duties include the following:
- Serves as a role model for clients by identifying as a client of mental health services in an effort to help clients develop skills for coping and managing psychiatric symptoms.
- Teaches, coaches and provides guidance and support on various skills to enable productive lives of individuals; assists individual and family members to identify strategies or treatment options and participates in the development and modification of plans to regain ability to make independent choices and promote coping skills; develops and maintains a positive and effective relationship with service recipients, families, and other service providers, serving as the main point of contact.
- Provide individual and group peer support activities to promote skills for managing psychiatric symptoms and monitor and report client progress toward identified goals.
- Organizes and participates in meetings related to care coordination; completes documentation for direct services provided to ensure timely and accurate completion.
- Provides, assists with, or coaches individuals on personal care needs with limited supervision; provides crisis interventions, including physical intervention and restraint to ensure the safety of individuals; monitors and/or administers medication as prescribed; monitors and documents mental and physical condition of individuals.
- Transports individuals receiving services to appointments, activities, and/or work.
High School diploma or equivalent and one year of experience working in a human services field and KS or MO driver's license are required.
Education can substitute for experience.
Candidate in recovery from a dual diagnosis of mental health and substance use and certification in peer support preferred.
Johnson County Government requires reference/background screening for all positions. Specified criteria may vary by Department/Agency. Physical, Environmental, and Special Working Conditions:
All County employees may be called upon to assist other departments/agencies in a declared emergency situation.
Intermediate (5% to 25%)
Health, Welfare, and Social Services