The County of San Mateo's Sheriff's Office is dedicated to improving the quality of life within the community. Here is your opportunity to make a difference by beginning a career in law enforcement! We are currently seeking dedicated professionals to serve as Correctional Officers
responsible for the supervision of inmates and inmate activity in County detention facilities.To avoid delays in processing your application for this position, please carefully read all of the information contained in this job posting prior to submitting an application. IMPORTANT PRE-APPLICATION EXAM INFORMATION
Applicants for Sheriff's Correctional Officer
must have passed the entry level physical agility test, either the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB) with a minimum score of 320
or the Correctional Officer test with a passing score, and the POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) with a minimum T-score of 46.
Both test scores must be attached to the online application and must have been taken within a year of the date of application.
Pre-application tests for Sheriff's Correctional Officer applicants have been outsourced to the South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium (aka The Academy); however, test results from other training organizations and law enforcement agencies will be accepted so long as they meet California Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST) requirements as outlined below. Applicants are responsible for contacting The Academy and self-enrolling in the required written test and physical agility test. For current test schedule and enrollment, visit The Academy's website at www.theacademy.ca.gov
. A valid Basic Police Academy certification, meeting POST requirements, dated within one year of application will be accepted in lieu of PELLETB and WSTB scores. Academy certifications obtained more than a year ago will be accepted in lieu of PELLETB, but applicants must attach WSTB results showing the test was taken within a year of application.Note:
While the physical agility test can be retaken immediately, the written exam can only be taken once every 30 days. Practice sessions for the physical agility test are also offered through The Academy.1) Written Test - POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB)
- This test must be completed in less than 2.5 hours, and it must be passed with a minimum T-Score of 46
. The areas covered by the test include:
2) Physical Agility Test - Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB)
- Spelling - Select the correct spelling of a word from a list of options.
- Vocabulary - Select the correct meaning of a word from a list of options.
- Clarity - Select the sentence that is most clearly written from a pair of options.
- Reading - Read a passage and answer questions about the passage's content.
- CLOZE - Use contextual clues to complete a passage that contains missing words.
- This test mirrors the California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) test and is advertised as such on The Academy's website. Applicants can submit scores from either the WSTB or the Correctional Officer test through The Academy. The Academy offers optional practice sessions. Test and practice schedules are available on The Academy's website. The events for the Correctional Officer test include:
- 99-yard obstacle course in under 23 seconds
- 165-pound body drag for 32-feet in under 7 seconds
- 165-pound body lift for 60 seconds
- 500 yard run in under 2 minutes
- 1.5 mile run in 14 minutes or less
: When you report for the test, inform The Academy that you are applying to be a Correctional Officer with San Mateo County. San Mateo County Correctional Officer applicants will not be required to participate in climbing the 6-foot chain link fence or 6-foot solid wall portion of the WSTB test.
Examples Of Duties Correctional Officer duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Receive, search, book, fingerprint, and guard inmates in the correctional facilities.
- Take custody of inmates' property.
- Maintain records of bookings, releases, transfers, money and other functions of the correctional facilities.
- Prepare inmates for court and for release.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Skill/Ability to:
Education and Experience:
- Exercise good judgment.
- Read and comprehend legal documents, law enforcement manuals, and court decisions.
- Follow instructions.
- Function effectively under stress.
- Project authority.
- Make accurate observations.
- Perform strenuous physical activity.
- Write reports and correspondence.
- Communicate effectively orally.
- Communicate with all types of people.
- Meet State of California POST medical and physical standards for law enforcement personnel.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.Licensure/Certification:
- Possession of a Class C California driver license or equivalent.
- Graduation from high school OR possession of a General Education Development Certificate.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship prior to applying for this position with County of San Mateo. Citizenship must be conferred within three (3) years of applying for citizenship.
- Must not have any felony convictions.
- Must pass a written and physical agility test as outlined above with scores attached to the online application.
- Must be willing to work irregular hours, holidays, weekends and rotating shifts.
- Must pass a background investigation, psychological exam, polygraph and medical evaluations.
- Refrain from using tobacco products at any time for employees hired by the County after October 1, 2004.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
Responses to the supplemental questions and copies of your PELLETB and WSTB Physical Agility exam scores, or a valid Basic Police Academy certificate must
be submitted in addition to the regular employment application form. See description above for information regarding these exams and the required passing scores.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
Candidates who submit a complete online application and who meet all the requirements described above will be placed on an eligible list (hiring list).IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply'
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply. Please keep available the instructions below on how to attach documents to your application as you prepare to submit your application. Applications submitted without the required attachments will be immediately disqualified. Do not submit an application if you do not yet have your test results!
- In the application form, choose the Attachments link
- Click the Add Supplemental Attachment link
- Select "PELLETB T Scores" in the Attachment Type choices
- Click Upload to find and select your saved document
- Click the Add Supplemental Attachment link again
- Select "Physical Agility Result" in the Attachment Type choices
- Click Upload to find and select your saved document
- Click on the Next button to proceed with the rest of the application processAt the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day.County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
HR Contact: Mandy Singh (03062020) (Sheriff's Correctional Officer - H058)