COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES PROBATION DEPARTMENT
EXAM NUMBER: F8972C
FIRST DAY OF FILING: February 28, 2020 AT 8:00 A.M.THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO REOPEN THE FILING PERIOD. PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY APPLIED WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS NEED NOT REAPPLY, BUT MAY SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IF THEY WISH.TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITYDEFINITION:
Assists in planning and conducting research projects involving experimental designs, field studies and surveys in the behavioral or social science.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists in planning, designing, conducting, and interpreting research projects.
- Collects, processes and analyzes data for approved studies including the use of such techniques as multiple and partial correlation, multiple regression and simple analysis of variance including the use statistical software.
- Conduct extensive research review with database tools such as Internet based, library, or research databases.
- Prepares reports and initial recommendations based on research findings and communicates them orally, in writing, or through graphic representations and statistical summaries.
- Consults with departmental staff to explain procedures for conducting research projects and to obtain information necessary to carry out projects.
- Assists project supervisor on a team project and supervises trainees assigned to assist with the project or may independently carry out assignments under minimal supervision.
- Prepares initial recommendations and submit them for review with interpretations of analytical data in appropriate format.
- May supervise clerical personnel in connection with specific research projects, as needed.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:OPTION I:
A Master's degree* or higher from an accredited college or university in a field of the behavioral or social sciences -AND-
one year's post master's research experience in a behavioral or social science field.OPTION II:
A Bachelor's degree* from an accredited college or university in a field of the behavioral or social sciences -AND-
three (3) years full time post bachelor's research experience in a behavioral or social science field.PHYSICAL CLASS II: Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
- Proficiency in specialized statistical research software such as SAS, SPSS, ArcGIS, and GIS.
- Experience assisting with planning, developing, and maintaining research, data and related systems databases and systems.
- Research experience working with qualitative and quantitative methods, trend data, cross-sectional data, conducting predictive analytics, and utilizing research data and data management techniques.
- Experience conducting literature reviews to contextualize the current knowledge and methodologies of a topic and provide a critical evaluation using multiple sources such as online journal databases, Federal/Local government websites and other internet sources.
- Knowledge of survey and administrative data sources from a variety of fields.
- Ability to contextualize and present data in compelling graphics for Department staff, community stakeholders, and decision-makers.
- Experience in assisting in the design of community engagement research and policy analysis.
- Experience in evaluating juvenile and adult justice systems and programs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments, work in a team, as well as demonstrated ability to work proactively and independently, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
*In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as a Master's or Bachelor's degree, you must indicate on the job application and attach a legible copy of the official diploma or official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization, degree awarded and conferred date with Registrar's signature and/or school seal with your application at the time of filing, or within 15 calendar days of online application submission or your application may be rejected.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
The examination will consist of an Evaluation of Experience based on application information, desirable qualifications, and Supplemental Questionnaire weighted 100%.
Candidates who do not achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the Evaluation of Experience will be notified by mail. SCORES CANNOT BE GIVEN OVER THE PHONE.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the weighted test part in order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the eligible register accordingly. The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.SPECIAL INFORMATION:
FINGERPRINTING AND SECURITY CLEARANCE
A thorough background investigation will be conducted prior to appointment. Any false statement or omission of material fact may cause forfeiture of employment rights. Information presented on the employment application, resume, and during the examination process is subject to verification.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
Copies of supporting documentation of selection requirements and qualifications, including relevant research experience, such as research projects, peer review publications, research papers, including published research project(s) may be requested for review at any point of the recruitment process and subject to verification and rejection of application.
Candidates who are found unsuitable for employment will be removed from the eligible register pursuant to Civil Service Rule 6.04.
All applicants must enter a current/updated EMAIL
address at the time of filing as NOTICES MAY BE SENT BY EMAIL OR MAIL.
Entering an invalid mailing/email address may result in the rejection of your application during the examination process. To update information, applicants must make changes to their profile at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty VACANCY INFORMATION
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies located in the Los Angeles County Probation Department. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Any APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed online via NEOGOV electronic submission ONLY. Applications submitted by US Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
To apply for this examination, click on the "Apply
" button located on this posting. Your application must be submitted electronically by 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing. Visit the NEOGOV website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty
Applicants may upload required or additional documents (i.e. copy of degree, certification, etc.) as attachment(s) at the time of filing. If you are unable to attach the required and/or additional documents at the time of filing, you may email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 15 calendar days of online application submission or your application may be rejected. Please include your name, examination number, and examination title on the email.
Fill out your application completely. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. All information is subject to verification.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES: For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD: All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record and will result in an automatic rejection of your application.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have CLEARLY shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS. Please fill out the application completely and correctly to receive full credit for any related education, training, and job experience. In the space provided for education, include the names and addresses of schools attended, titles of courses completed, date completed, and number of credit and/or certificates earned. All information and records are subject to verification. Applications may be rejected at any stage of the selection process.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE COMPLETE INFORMATION INCLUDING THE NAME(S) AND ADDRESS/ES OF YOUR EMPLOYER(S), YOUR JOB TITLE(S); BEGINNING AND ENDING DATES; THE FUNCTIONS PERFORMED INCLUDING A DESCRIPTION OF YOUR ROLE, LEVEL OF INVOLVEMENT, INDEPENDENCE, AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE SIZE OF YOUR ORGANIZATION, COMPLEXITY AND LEVEL OF ACCOUNTABILITY RELATED TO YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND ACCEPTANCE INTO THE EXAMINATION PROCESS.Department Contact Name:
Probation Examinations & Recruitment Unit, Non-Sworn ExamsDepartment Contact Number:
(562) 940-2659Department Contact Email:
email@example.comCalifornia Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922ADA Coordinator Phone:
(562) 940-3764Teletype Phone: