Job SummaryMohave County Library - Public Services Division is currently recruiting for a Librarian - Youth Services. Hiring for the Kingman and Bullhead City locations. Position can be filledas a Librarian with no youth experience.
Starting pay ranges from $18.56 to $21.48 an hour depending on qualifications. Position may be filled as an Underfill. *Position Open Until Filled*
Performs professional level operational and supervisory work relating to the provision of library services to children and adults. REPORTS TO
Work is performed independently under direction of the Library Services Manager.Work is performed with latitude for discretion and judgment in applying Mohave County and Library District goals and objectives, assisting in the management of the Youth Services Division, and in supervising and evaluating clerical, technical, and paraprofessional support personnel.Work is reviewed through conferences and results achieved. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Supervision may be exercised over a staff of volunteers and clerical, technical, and paraprofessional staff.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists in planning, organizing, and directing staff in general library techniques, reference, readers' advisement, circulation, programming, collection development and maintenance, technical services, and related activities with a special emphasis on working with children, teens, and accompanying adults.
- Assists in developing and implementing goals and objectives for library services for youth.
- Schedules projects, recommends budget, and monitors budgeting functions for assigned library's services for youth.
- Assists in, coordinates, and oversees service with a special emphasis on working with children and teens.
- Assists in promoting cooperation and coordination of effort between the assigned library's Youth Services Division, the district's Youth Services Division, other library divisions and locations, and the district as a whole.
- Selects, plans, assigns, supervises, and evaluates the work of Youth Services subordinates.
- Participates in the ongoing training and development of Youth Services staff at both the local and district levels.
- Resolves operational problems, develops and implements new programs, methods, and procedures to increase youth library services efficiency and quality of work for the library assigned.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises the work of Youth Services volunteers.
- Assists in district-wide collection development activities.
- Reads reviews and recommends items for purchase for the youth collections.
- Is directly involved in and assists lower level staff in youth collection development, collection maintenance, collection assessment, and materials processing and preservation as appropriate to the assigned library.
- Assists patrons with questions and requests and provides instruction in the use of various library tools and reference resources, identifying appropriate sources, and fulfilling reference needs.
- Plans, develops, and presents activities and programs for children.These may include, but are not limited to, Story times, puppet shows, book talks, the Summer Reading Games, and literacy enrichment programs.
- Plans, develops, and presents activities and programs for teens.These may include, but are not limited to, poetry slams, book or computer-based games, the Summer Reading Games, and basic library and computer use programs for teens.
- Assists in, coordinates, and oversees outreach to preschools, elementary schools, high schools, and community groups with an emphasis on children, teens, and their caregivers.
- Develops and arranges for the distribution of library advertising materials, bookmarks, bibliographies, websites, and promotional materials targeted at children, teens, and their caregivers.
- Participates in promoting public services for youth including preparing bibliographies, websites, and other information brochures, pamphlets, and handouts.
- Assists in maintaining a pleasant, informative library to include the creation of information and promotional displays.
- Oversees local circulation functions of materials in the Youth Services areas.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining effective local community contacts and relationships.May participate with other district libraries to develop and implement effective public relations and service programs.
- Assists in developing and implementing innovative library programs that are well-advertised to serve the needs of the community such as programs for children, young adults, families, and other special interest groups.
- Plans themes, crafts, and books for special outreach to groups such as Headstart, daycares, preschools, elementary schools, high schools, and community groups with an emphasis on children, teens, and their caregivers.
- Conducts library tours for school groups, community groups, scout groups, teachers, and other special interest groups.
- Supervises collection development, inventory, and the maintenance of shelves as required.
- Supervises and participates in collection development functions such as checking donated materials, checking for duplications and condition of materials, and completing forms for the donation and mending processes.
- May serve on and take an active role in various committees.
- Works with other county entities, schools, and public officials to distribute information relevant to parents and other caregivers.
- Assists with surveying target groups to determine library needs and informs the public of available library services for youth.
- Attends and participates in division, district, state, and national library meetings, workshops, and conferences as required and resources permit.
- Assists in the development, coordination, and implementation of district policies and procedures.
- Supports and supervises the implementation of district policies and procedures.
Minimum Qualifications REQUIRED MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Collects, compiles, and submits data for use in statistical reports, internal operating studies, or policy formulation.Develops and runs reports and queries.
- Assists in the maintenance of youth facilities as appropriate to the library assigned.
- Prepares library borrower cards, assists in the maintenance of patron files, and distributes informational materials.
- Reviews new developments and trends in the library field for value and potential use.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Performs related work as required.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Masters of Library and Information Sciences (MLIS) from an ALA accredited school or a Master's Degree in a related field of Youth or Family Services, including but not limited to, early literacy, childhood development, or education.
- Three (3) years library experience, two (2) years of which must be at a supervisory or managerial level, including general clerical and computer experience involving youth services programs and experience working with children and teens.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & AbilitiesKnowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the county.
- Two (2) to three (3) years of hands-on work with groups of children, which qualifies the Youth Services Librarian as a youth expert to work with these groups and their caregivers.
- Must have expertise, experience, and/or training in the needs and developmental patterns of children and/or teens.
- Library facility organization and operations and the procedures, terminology, accepted or common practices, and policies involved in the provision of library services.
- English grammar, spelling, and arithmetic.
- Standard office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Filing and information systems.
- Computing literacy to include use of keyboards, related peripheral equipment, electronic spreadsheet, word processing, and department specific software.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Efficiently operating and utilizing modern office machines as necessary to include typewriters, fax transmittal machines, calculators, and the use of computer keyboards, related peripheral equipment, and applications.
- Reference sources or materials in the area of specialty.
- Standard office practices and record keeping.
- Computing literacy involving online and automated systems, microcomputers, and related peripheral equipment.
- Utilizing computer systems and applications to include online and automated systems, microcomputers, and related peripheral equipment in the performance of work assignments.
- Familiarity with and skill utilizing computers and gaming equipment used in youth programs and in special children's or youth areas of the library.
- Establish and maintain filing systems.
- Use good judgment to solve work problems through established guidelines.
- Interpret technical and departmental information encountered in the performance of responsibilities.
- Work independently in completing assigned tasks accurately and in maintaining standard correspondence, files, and reports of the library.
- Deal courteously with the public and obtain from them the information necessary to assist them.
- Work and communicate effectively with all people contacted.
- Understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Develop and implement library programs to provide appropriate library services.
- Exercise judgment and discretion in matters of policy and procedure design and implementation; make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and manage the work of paraprofessional, technical, and clerical support staff in various activities.
- Coordinate collection development and maintenance, materials processing, and preservation.
- Effectively speak before community groups and other civic organizations and utilize public relations and media skills for presentations, publicity flyers, and introduction of programs.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve problems at all levels.
- Appraise and select appropriate materials for the library collection.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with library system staff, community groups, and other professional contacts.
- Design and develop attractive flyers, displays, bibliographies, bookmarks, websites, etc., designed to promote the use of the library.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with children, youth and their parents, as well as with other library staff members.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Perform the essential functions of the class with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.