Temporary - Content Strategist/Content Designer Job Requisition Number
COA081146 Position Number
T76505 Job Type
Full-Time Division Name
Development Services Dept Minimum Qualifications
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years of related experience, including one (1) of which was in designing digital content or marketing communications.
Notes to Applicants
- Graduation with an associate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work and/or certifications in a field related to the job, plus six (6) years of related experience, including one (1) of which was in designing digital content or marketing communications.
1. Complete City of Austin Employment Application.
2. Cover Letter.
4. Link to online portfolio of writing samples- Please upload as Other Document.Pay Range
Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm.Job Close Date
12/13/2019 Type of Posting
Development Services Dept Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
One Texas Center, 505 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TX 78704 Preferred Qualifications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Two (2) years experience writing web content in simple, easy-to-understand language consistent with commonly adopted plain language writing standards as detailed in the Federal Plain Language Guidelines.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Works on assignments that are complex in nature where judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations. Assumes primary responsibility for larger individual projects or acts as an account representative for client departments and programs.
- Serves on multi-disciplinary teams to concept, prototype, and implement content solutions for City services.
- Conducts requirement-gathering sessions to determine/design content production workflow and documentation based on the needs of stakeholders and department staff.
- Develops and implements short- and long-term strategies for content deliverables and performance monitoring.
- Collaborates with clients to assign, edit, and/or produce service-oriented content that is consistent and aligned with the organization's voice and values.
- Collaborates with developers and designers to create, test, and deploy effective content models for web content, user guides, social media, newsletters, applications, printed resources, and in-person transactions.
- Develops consistent and sustainable content standards for products, services, and projects across the City that improve usability, equitable access, comprehension, and efficiency.
- Contributes to the development of editorial standards, style guides, taxonomies, metadata frameworks, and SEO strategies.
- Develops and leads training programs that guide and coach departments, team members, and stakeholders on content strategy and writing for the Web. Conducts research on software products and technology services to verify that they meet business and user requirements.
- Collaborates with developers, designers, and researchers to execute thoughtful and ethical user research related to content delivery. Participates, as needed, on Agile product development scrum teams.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of concepts related to user experience design, including Web publishing and content management systems.
- Knowledge of current Web publishing standards to include best practices related to accessibility, usability, and writing for the Web.
- Knowledge of user experience research methodologies and best practices.
- Knowledge of current Web content management systems, social media, and other common tools used to deliver content.
- Knowledge of processes for importing/exporting data for use in reporting and documentation.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances governing digital content, archiving, and privacy.
- Skill in developing and delivering effective training to a diverse audience.
- Skill in developing and documenting processes, procedures, standards, and guidelines.
- Skill in writing in simple, easy-to-understand language consistent with commonly adopted plain language writing standards as detailed in the Federal Plain Language Guidelines.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in research design, data analysis, and problem solving.
- Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and recommend appropriate actions/steps to address them.
- Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in achieving organizational goals.
- Ability to give, receive, and share thoughts, ideas, and perspectives to create shared understanding.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with City employees and the public.
- Ability to take complex language and processes and make them simple to understand.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years of related experience, including one (1) of which was in designing digital content or marketing communications; OR graduation with an Associate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work and/or certifications in a field related to the job, plus six (6) years of related experience, including one (1) of which was in designing digital content or marketing communications. Do you meet the minimum qualifications of the position?
* The preferred qualifications for this position are Two (2) years experience writing web content in simple, easy-to-understand language consistent with commonly adopted plain language writing standards as detailed in the Federal Plain Language Guidelines. Please tell us if you meet these qualifications and how?
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Media Presentation Optional Documents