City of Palo Alto - Utilities
Palo Alto is the only city in California that offers a full array of utility services to its citizens and businesses. Because of this, the City has a unique opportunity to partner with the Palo Alto community to enjoy the benefits and achievements of reliable, home-grown, and environmentally-focused utilities. Palo Alto has a tradition of over 100 years of successful public utility operations. It is a tradition that continues to provide the Palo Alto community with safe and reliable utilities service, local decision-making over policies, utility rate-making, environmental programs, and customized services.Engineering Division
Engineering is responsible for managing all phases of CPAU's capital improvement and customer service projects including providing new or upgrading existing service to customers, and replacing and rehabilitating the City's electric, fiber, water, gas, and wastewater distribution systems.The Position
Utilities Engineering Estimator is found in the Electrical Divisions of the Utilities Department. This position provides the estimating functions in preparing plans for Electrical Utility Capital Improvement and customer service projects and the preparation of work orders indicating labor, material and equipment requirements for construction by City personnel for a variety of projects. In addition to the two primary responsibility of cost estimating and preparation of work orders, the Engineering Estimator provides inspection services for construction projects, inter-faces with contractors and consultants to insure in-house and contract work conforms to plans and specifications, and provides inter-utility coordination of project planning.Ideal Candidate
- Experience in underground and/or overhead line work
- Proficient in AutoCAD
- Proficient in GIS
- Familiar with G.O.95 and G.O.128
- Knowledge of NEC and/or CEC
- Experience in reviewing building plans
- Ability to communicate well
- Experience working with/for a Utility
- Experience using O'Calc
To see the full job description click here .Essential Duties
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducts field review of project site to determine project design constraints.
- Prepares plans, specifications, and cost estimates for construction, operation, and maintenance of Electrical facilities.
- Process customer applications for utility services, determines requirements, performs records search; performs design work, prepares work orders, plans, and material list for field construction.
- Prepares detailed and cost estimates of projects to be constructed by City forces or by contractors.
- Orders materials not in stock and estimates delivery dates for engineering proposals.
- Conducts periodic inspections of work in progress to insure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Approves acceptable work at established stages or indicates revisions necessary to meet specification requirements, works with City personnel, builders, and contractors to achieve required corrections.
- Makes progress reports and measures actual against estimated costs, maintains appropriate records of inspections, cost estimates, and other related data.
- Assists in preparation of utility's annual budget and capital improvement programs.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities which would typically be acquired through:
- Completion of two years of college level engineering courses in electrical engineering . or
- 3 years or more experience in Electric Utility construction, depending upon assignment.
- Experience in estimating and field inspection.
This is a Service Employees International Union (SEIU) position.
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License
Closing Date/Time: Continuous