DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICESFIRST DAY OF FILING: April 17, 2018 at 8:00a.m., (PST)
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.EXAM NUMBER: Y5338ATYPE OF RECRUITMENTDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL JOB OPPORTUNITYRestricted to permanent employees of the Department of Health Services of the County ofLos Angeles who have successfully completed their initial probationary period.Current employees in the unclassified service who meet the following criteria also qualify to participate in this exam:
NO OUT-OF-CLASS EXPERIENCE ORVERIFICATION OF EXPERIENCE LETTERS WILL BE ACCEPTED
- Unclassified employees who have attained permanent County status on a classified position by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service.
- Full-time employees in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified serviceat the time of filing.
.NO WITHHOLD ALLOWED IN THIS EXAMINATION. CANDIDATES MUST MEET SELECTION REQUIREMENTS AT THE TIME OF FILING.
REBULLETIN: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS REBULLETIN TO ADD THE MANPOWER SHORTAGE RECRUITMENT RATE. PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY APPLIED WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS NEED NOT REAPPLY, BUT MAY SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BY THE LAST OF FILING. THE INFORMATION MUST INCLUDE YOUR NAME, THE CORRECT EXAMINATION TITLE AND NUMBER.
Due to Manpower shortage recruitment, incumbents and appointees in the nursing of Integrated Correctional Health Service shall be compensated at Step 3. Manpower Shortage Recruitment established in the Los Angeles County Code Section 6.10.050. The recruitment rates shall remain in effect through June 30,2020.DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES:
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest health system in the nation, providing compassionate, quality care through its integrated system of hospitals and community-based clinics. DHS annually cares for about 600,000 unique patients, employs over 22,000 staff and has an annual operating budget of $4.3 billion. DHS leads the county's effort to provide health services to the resident of Los Angeles County, of which approximately two million are uninsured. DHS hospitals also conduct post-graduate medical education through university affiliations for interns, residents and fellows to train the physician workforce for tomorrow.THE MISSION:
We're remaking the nation's largest county-run correctional health system with a focus on social justice medicine, compassionate whole-person care, community partnership and professional growth. Every day, we put our vision and our values into practice as we strive to strive to improve healthcare for uniquely underserved population.DEFINITION:
Supervises nursing activities on a ward or in a clinic in a large Los Angeles County Custody facility infirmary or an outlying custody facility for a shift.
Essential Job Functions
- Assigns work to subordinates and observes/monitors work progress by making ward rounds in an in-patient area or clinic.
- Provides relief in the absence of the Nurse Manager, who serves as shift or facility nursing manager, as required.
- Supervises a group of registered nurses, nursing assistants and attendants providing nursing care and treatment to inmate patients in an assigned in-patient area or clinic.
- Provides counseling and conducts conflict resolution with employees when required.
- Provides direct care to inmate patients as necessary.
- Collaborates with departmental, County, and other professional health care providers concerning patient care issues, treatment options, and outcomes.
- Implements standardized procedures where clinically indicated, and evaluates staff competency.
- Participates in and conducts nursing care quality-improvement studies within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Prepares formal performance evaluations for nursing personnel.
- Assesses inmate patients with illnesses such as diabetes, cardiac disease, and/or hypertension and develops plan of care.
- Responds to medical emergency situations throughout the facility and provides emergency care such as Basic Life Support and first aid.
- Interprets and explains Department policies, procedures and regulations to subordinates, visitors, and outside agencies.
- Prepares and supervises the implementation of individualized patient care plans for inmate patients admitted to the custody facility's in-patient area.
- Identifies and schedules Continuing Education and training courses for subordinates.
- Supervises clerical staff who provide support and ancillary services in an assigned clinic or in-patient area.
- Assesses the dietary needs of inmate patients as necessary.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
Two years of lead experience as a Registered Nurse II*
, Registered Nurse II, Sheriff*
, Registered Nurse III*
, or Registered Nurse III, Sheriff*
in the service of the County of Los Angeles.LICENSE(S)REQUIRED
** The required license and certification MUST be current and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license or certificate will NOT be accepted. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
- A current, active license to practice as a Registered Nurse** issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Applicants must ensure the License Section of the application is completed. Provide the title of your license, license number, date issued, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency.
- A Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification** in accordance with the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program. Applicants MUST attach a legible photocopy of the required BLS certification to their application at the time of filing oremail it to exam analyst at email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title in your email.
* To qualify, applicants MUST hold or have held the payroll title ofRegistered Nurse II*, Registered Nurse II, Sheriff*, Registered Nurse III*, or Registered Nurse III, Sheriff*with the County of Los Angeles.
Applicants MUST attach a legible photocopy of the required license and BLS certificateto the application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days from the application filing date. Applications submitted without the required evidence of license and BLS certification will be rejected as incomplete.Physical Class III - Moderate
: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of two (2) parts.PART I:
An evaluation of training and experience based upon application information weighted 50%.PART II:
An Appraisal of Promotability covering job preparation, analytical and decision-making skills, interpersonal and customer service skills, communication skills, organization and supervision skills, and work skillsweighted 50%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part of this examination in order to be placed on the Eligible Register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
The names of the candidates receiving a passinggrade on this examination will beplaced on the EligibleRegister and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No personmay compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services - Correctional Facilities.SPECIAL INFORMATION
:SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES MUST COMPLETE A THOROUGH BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, INCLUDING FINGERPRINT SEARCH.
Examplesof disqualifying factors include: Any felony convictions; job-related misdemeanor convictions; certain serious traffic convictions or patterns of traffic violations (3 or more moving violations in the past one (1) year; failure to appear; at fault accidents; suspended license; driving under the influence); substance abuse; anyone on probation.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Appointees must be willing to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays, and at any correctional facility.Appointees will be in direct contact with inmate patients in a jail environment to provide professional nursing care and services to inmate patients. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION :
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made.Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
from Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS.
Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces providedso we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed.If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST on the last day of filing will not be accepted.NOTE:
If you are unable to uploaddocuments to your application, you mustemail the required documents to the Exam Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title in your email.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR:
(323) 914-7124CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Christina Ramirez, Exam Analyst