Under general supervision, the Accounting Clerk, Lead performs a wide variety of specialized lead worker duties while providing guidance and direction for the Accounting Clerk I's/II's in Accounts Payable (AP) and Accounts Receivable (AR). This position performs a variety of accounting functions and can apply basic principles of accounting in support of accounting functions such as cash receipting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, business licenses and Community Facility Districts (CFD). An employee in this position must be familiar with account maintenance practices as well as be familiar with accounting concepts and principles; have the ability to explain and interpret information; insure deadlines are met, and work independently. Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties ARE NOT
intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements: Education and Experience:
- Provides training and assistance to Accounting Clerk I's & II's.
- Provides accounts payable decisions related to more complex issues with vendors, invoices and City departments
- Reviews and verifies invoices and check requests; sorts, codes and matches invoice, enters invoices for payment into the City's financial system
- Provides accounts receivable and cash receipting decisions related to more complex issues with general billing customers, CFD customers and City departments
- Receives, prepares and enters data to record and processes accounts receivables; prepares and issues account statements and collection letters
- Performs the end of day procedures for cash receipting and balancing all related documentation to the general ledger
- Processes, prepares and issues business licenses certificates using the City's Energov software system
- Performs administrative duties such as updating various reports and records, preparing routine correspondence and completes filing associated with the position.
- Reviews source documents for compliance to rules and regulations; determines proper handling of financial and technical transactions within designated limit.
- Enters data into computer systems; processes transactions, compiles documentation, and generates reports in support of accounting functions such as cash receipting, accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Provides information and assistance to visitors and others having business with the City; assists customers with applications, government forms and other documents as needed; answers phones; responds to requests for information within the span of authority.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Associate's Degree in accounting or related field preferred and five year's general accounting experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer experience with fund accounting and/or governmental accounting.Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- City policies and procedures
- Financial accounting principles and methods
- Principles of record keeping and records management
- Generally accepted techniques for compiling, verifying and analyzing accounting data
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations
- Data entry and mathematical calculations
- Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software
- Correcting and updating financial records and database systems
- Maintaining accurate financial records and identifying and reconciling errors
- Reviewing financial documents and calculations, preparing basic financial reports
- Effective oral and written communication
Additional Information: WORK SCHEDULE:
- Perform basic mathematical calculations
- Train and coach employees on policies and procedures within their assigned area
- Analyze and resolve work procedures, problems and questions
- Maintain records and files
- Manage and execute multiple tasks
- Perform general ledger entries
- Prepare, maintain and proof a variety of financial related reports
- Apply and explain applicable policies and/or procedures, laws, codes or regulations
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with city employees, customers and the general public
Monday - Thursday, 7:00am - 6:00pm
Wed. 07/17/19 6:00 PM Mountain Time