PH5712B FIRSTDAY OF FILING :
Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 8:00 a.m., Pacific Standard Time (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. SPECIAL SALARY INFORMATION
This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance withMAPPguidelines and regulations. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Departmental Promotional OpportunityJOB OPPORTUNITY INFORMATION
Restricted to permanent employees of the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health, who have successfully completed their initial probationary period and meet the qualifying requirements.
Current employees in unclassified service in the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health who meet the following criteria also qualify to participatein this exam:
- Unclassified employees who have attained permanent County status on a classified position by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service.
- Full-time employees in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified service by the last day of filing.
: Permanent employees who have completed their initial probationary period and hold a qualifying payroll title may file for this examination if they are within six months of meeting the experience requirements by the last day of filing. However, the names of such employees will be withheld from the certification list until the required experience is fully met.DEFINITION:
Assists in planning, organizing, and directing the operations of the Health Facilities Inspection Division to enforce Federal and State licensing and certification requirements for the operation of hospitals and other health care facilities.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
The one position allocable to this class serves as assistant administrator of the Health Facilities Inspection Division, receiving administrative direction from the Chief, Health Facilities Inspection Division, and exercising full supervisory authority in both technical and administrative matters for the entire subordinate divisional staff.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists in planning, organizing, assigning, directing and evaluating the work of the Division in surveying and providing consultative services to hospitals and/or other types of health care facilities such as skilled nursing homes, intermediate care facilities, hospices, and clinics, to enforce Federal and State regulations and standards relating to patient care, physician, nursing and dietetic services, facilities and equipment, ethical practices, administration, qualifications of staff and management, maintenance of medical and other records, physical environment and infection control.
- Reviews operations to identify the need for administrative studies and assigns studies to staff, determining methodology and presenting recommendations which result from such studios.
- Plans, develops and directs an ongoing and comprehensive management analysis program in the Division and implements major changes in policies and procedures as approved by the Chief. Develops and implements an ongoing and comprehensive quality assurance program relating to HFID's operations. Reviews and approves all adverse actions that will result in revocation of facility licenses or provider agreements.
- Meets with section heads of the Division to discuss handling of operational problems, answering questions and providing information regarding departmental and County procedures and contacts.
- Takes the lead in ensuring compliance with the terms of the State/County contract and plays a major role in discussions with federal and State decision makers.
- Directs the investigationand resolutionof complaints and facility-reported incidents.from the general public, utilizing the staff of the Complaint Investigation Unit. Assumes the duties of the Chief, Health Facilities Inspection Division as needed.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
Three years' administrative*, supervisory** or general consultative*** experience in hospital and/or other types of health care facilities such as skilled nursing homes, intermediate care facilities, hospices, and clinic operations.-OR-
Three years' administrative*, supervisory** or general consultative*** experience in the surveillance of hospitals and/or other types of health care facilities such as skilled nursing homes, intermediate care facilities, hospices, and clinics for compliance with State, Federal, and local regulations.REQUIRED LICENSES:
A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
To qualify, applicants must have a current and valid license as a Professional Registered Nurse, issued by theCalifornia Board of Registered Nursing, without limitations or restrictions.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.PHYSICAL CLASS:
2 - Light: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIALTY REQUIREMENTS:*
Administrative Capacity is defined as the overall management of a function or an organizational unit, including responsibility for the development of procedures, budget preparation, the direction of supervisory employee, and participation in policy formulation.
**Supervisory Capacity is defined as planning and directing the work of others and evaluates performance objectively; to understand the role of planning, organization, and control of professional personnel; to stimulate and motivate the work of subordinates.***
Consultative Capacity is define as one who, as an expert in a specialized field, expresses views, provides opinions, and recommends courses of action to be taken in problems presented by others for resolution. Persons who provide such advisory or consultative services do not regularly perform or supervise the performance of the day-to-day work in the specialized field.
Please ensure the License and Certificate Section of the application is completed for the Registered Nurse License. Provide the title of your required license, number, date of issue, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency as specified in the Selection Requirements on your application at the time of filing DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION:
Credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualification:
- A current certification as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist issued by the California State Department of Public Health.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination consists oftwo (2) parts:PARTI
: An evaluation of experience based upon application information and desirable qualification,weighted 50%
: An Appraisal ofPromotabilitythat will evaluate Administrative and Management skills, Problem Solving and Analysis skills,Interpersonal Effectiveness skills,Written and Oral Communication skills,Organizational and Planning skills,Leadership and Supervision skillsweighted 50%.Candidates must meet the Minimum Requirements and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part in order to be added to the Eligible Register.
Notifications for this examination may be sent electronically to the e-mail address provided on the application. It is important that candidates provide a valid e-mail address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your e-mail address book and list of approved senders to prevent e-mail notifications from being filtered as spam/junk mail. Candidatesalso have the ability to view their accountinbox
at My Career Page Website for updated status information for this examination.
Passing this examination and being added to the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment.
Non-Acceptance and Final ExaminationResults letters will be sent via United States Postal Service(USPS). Examination scores cannot be given over the phone or by e-mail.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will beadded to the Eligible Register in the order of their score group for a period oftwelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.NO PERSON MAY COMPETEIN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s).If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.VACANCY INFORMATION:
The EligibleRegister resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filedONLINE ONLY
. Applications submitted bymail, fax,orin person willNOT
be accepted. Any required documents and/or additional information, if any, must be submitted with your application online or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to email@example.com .
Apply online by clicking on the"Apply"
button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website. Applicants must submit their completed applications by 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you haveclearly
shown that you meet theSELECTION REQUIREMENTS .
Fill out the application and supplemental questionnaire completely and correctly toreceive full credit for any relevant education and/or job experience you include. In the space provided on the application for education, include names and addresses of schools attended, dates attended, degree(s) received, and degree major. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, beginning and ending dates,number of hours worked per week, description of work and duties performed. If your applicationis incomplete, the applicationwill beREJECTED
If you are unable to attach required documents with your application online, youmust
e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission.In the "Subject" of the e-mail pleasetype the Exam Number and Exam Title.
Failure to provide complete, accurateinformation willimpact the assessment of your qualifications and the acceptance of your application into the examination process.IMPORTANT NOTES:
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
- Please note thatALLinformation supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject toVERIFICATIONat any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination and selection process.
- FALSIFICATIONof any information may result inDISQUALIFICATIONorRESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- UtilizingVERBIAGEfrom Class Specification and/or Minimum/Selection Requirements serving as your description of dutiesWILL NOTbe sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing sowill result in anINCOMPLETE APPLICATIONand the application will beREJECTED.
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes in the formatXXX-XX-XXXX. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735-2922
ADA Coordinator Phone: (323) 914-8505
Teletype Phone: (800) 899-4099
Alternate Teletype Phone: (800) 897-0077
Department Contact Name: Monica Fong
Department Contact Phone: (323) 914-8488
Department Contact E-mail: email@example.com