Calling all EMS/FIRE and LAW ENFORCEMENT Dispatchers!
If you are currently an experienced public safety dispatcher, we want you!******************************************************************
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY LEVEL POSITION.
Applicants must have current experience as a public safety dispatcher.
What makes us the best? Our center dispatches for police, fire and medical and includes aprogressive in-house training program, team-based shifts from a dispatcher-developed schedule, fire "incident dispatch" and law enforcement "tactical dispatch" programs as well as many other career development opportunities and programs. In the summer of 2019, Public Safety Communications will move into a newly constructed building containing a 911 Dispatch Center, Office of Emergency Services and the County's Emergency Operation Center. The new state of the art dispatch center will also include a brand a new Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system.
The Ideal Candidate
- Knowledge of Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) operation.
- Knowledge of basic computer use in a business office and Communications Center environment.
- Ability to operate various types of communications equipment including public safety telephones, two way radio systems, data terminals and other related technologies.
- Ability to utilize available resources.
: The successful incumbent MUST
be willing to work day, swing, graveyard, rotating, holiday, and weekend shifts including preplanned and last minute mandatory overtime.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is one year of experience working as a communications dispatcher or related position with a public safety agency within the last three years.
A Public safety agency is defined as an agency that receives and processes emergency calls for service for police, fire and/or emergency medical services. Other types of emergency call center experience such as, but not limited to, road service, security, or basic life support ambulance should apply as entry level Communications Dispatcher I or Calltaker.Knowledge of:
- English language, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Customer service and interpersonal communications principles.
- Computer operation and use in office and Communications Center environments.
- Basic principles in communicating by means of face-to-face contact, telephone and/or data terminals.
- Public safety entities who provide emergency services within the County of San Mateo.
- Various resources within the County in order to provide referrals to the public and public safety agencies.
- Speak, read and write English clearly.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, in English, both orally and in writing.
- Operate various types of communications equipment including public safety telephone and data terminals and other related technologies.
- Read and interpret various mapping devices and relaying pertinent information.
- Work under pressure, exercising good judgment and common sense while making sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Prioritize and determine an appropriate course of action based on a given set ofcircumstances.
- Perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Listen, understand and relay information via radio, telephone and in person.
- Remain calm and controlled under stressful periods while projecting a professional demeanor.
- Establish and maintain positive and courteous working relationships with customers, the community and co-workers.
- Participate in Communications Center teamwork while maintaining assigned job responsibilities and duties.
- Anticipate and adapt to fluctuating workloads in the Communications Center.
- Communicate and receive feedback and opinions to affect change.
- Access and refer to information using available resources.
- Read, interpret, understand and follow written and oral instructions and/or information.
- Remain seated for long periods of time.
- Read standard text/data on electronic screen or computer terminal teletype printouts and variety of maps.
- Hear in an open space and noisy environment with static or weak transmissions and/or telephone conversations.
- Successfully complete a pre-employment medical examination and be subject to polygraph testing.
- Follow strict Drug Use standards and guidelines.
- Possess good moral character and psychological suitability as determined by a thorough background investigation, including fingerprinting and psychological evaluation.
- Be willing to work day, swing, graveyard, rotating, holiday, and weekend shifts.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply. Thorough and detailed responses to the supplementalquestions must be submitted in addition to the standard San Mateo County employment application. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of a scored relevant Training and Experience (T&E) evaluation (weight: 100%) based solely on the candidates' responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who receive a passing score in the T&E evaluation will beinvited to adepartmental interview. Because of this screening process, all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the next phase of the examination process.
Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations.All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
Subsequent phases of the selection process include a departmental hiring interview, background investigation, psychological evaluation, polygraph test,and medical examination. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time and place of the tests. Applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to: https://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply.At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day.
County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact:Mandy Singh(04052019) (Communications Dispatcher II - V048)