2005 Hilltop Circle Roseville, 95747 Description FINAL FILING DATE:
This position is open until filled
. PERS retired annuitants are not eligible to apply.IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.THE POSITION
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary and part-time position of Tree Trimmer I in the Parks, Recreation and Libraries Department. While the current vacancy is for a 1000 hour position, this recruitment may be used to fill 1500 hour positions in the future. The work schedule is from Monday to Friday, 6:30 am - 3:00 pm.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.DEFINITION
To perform semi-skilled and skilled duties in the trimming, maintenance, and planting of City trees.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is the entry level class in the Tree Trimmer series. Positions in this class typically have little or no directly related work experience and work under immediate supervision while learning job tasks. The Tree Trimmer I class is distinguished from the II level by the performance of less than the full range of duties assigned to the II level. Incumbents work under immediate supervision while learning job tasks, progressing to general supervision as procedures and processes of assigned area of responsibility are learned.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives immediate supervision from an assigned supervisor; receives technical and functional supervision from the Senior Tree Trimmer or Arborist Technician.EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSKnowledge of:
- Using aerial lift and through skilled climbing, trim and structurally prune trees to provide clearance of streets, sidewalks, signs and lights as well as to ensure the continued health of the trees.
- Perform tree trimming using chainsaws, hand/pole saws and loppers; remove trees, stumps, hangers, branches and related debris; perform stump grinding and plant healthcare duties.
- Plant, spray, stake and maintain trees on City owned property and in the public right-of-way.
- Operate tree trimming and maintenance equipment such as boom trucks, chippers, stump grinders, and power tools, such as chain saws and hydraulic loppers.
- Clean, sharpen, maintain tools, ropes, and other tree maintenance equipment.
- Collect debris from tree trimming and removal operations into piles, using shovels, rakes, or other tools.
- Load debris onto trucks or into chipper and haul it away for disposal.
- Inspect trees for public safety and wildlife; respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
- Identify equipment needs for each assigned project.
- Utilize proper safety precautions related to work performed.
- Work multiple shifts during emergencies, seasonally caused circumstances, or special projects in varying climate and temperature conditions.
- Perform general natural resource maintenance work when not assigned to tree trimming duties.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Safety rules and work practices used in operating and maintaining tree maintenance equipment.
- Uses and purposes of tools and equipment related to tree trimming and maintenance.
- Basic methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in trees maintenance.
- Basic principles and practices of record keeping.
Experience and TrainingExperience:
- Perform skilled tree trimming and maintenance work; climb trees at heights necessary to perform trimming activities.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand tree trimming and removal operations; observe safety rules.
- Intermittently, sit at a desk while studying or preparing reports; twist to reach equipment or materials; stand, walk, balance, stoop, kneel, climb, crawl, and bend while performing tree trimming and removal duties; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
- Use and operate vehicular and stationary mechanical equipment, hand power tools, mechanical equipment, and equipment required for the work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Prepare and maintain simple records of activities.
- Perform heavy physical labor.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Community clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- No experience is required; experience in basic methods and techniques used in tree trimming and maintenance and/or ISA best management practices for tree planting and pruning is highly desirable.
License or Certificate
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth (12th) grade, GED, or higher level degree.
- Possession of a valid California driver's license by date of appointment.
1. Describe in detail your experience in the tree care industry including your knowledge and understanding of the following: pruning, planting, plant health care, climbing, equipment use, and conducting tree inventories. If you have municipal experience please describe.
2. Are you an ISA Certified Arborist and/or ISA Tree Worker Climber Specialist? If so, what certificates do you hold and for how long have you held the certificate.
3. Do you possess a valid California Class A or B drivers license? If yes, please list the expiration date.
4. This is a non-benefitted, part time position. Would you still like to be considered for this position?
5. Are you a current CalPERS member? A current CalPERS member is someone who has funds on deposit with CalPERS.SELECTION PROCESS
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.Recruitment Contact
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org