Salary: $34,277-$47,062 DOE
GILA COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
1400 E. ASH STREET, GLOBE, AZ 85501
POSTED: JANUARY 29, 2019 REVISED DATE: MARCH 11, 2019
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
PURPOSE OF THE JOB The purpose of this position is to provide safe, functioning equipment and automotive vehicles for the County. This position inspects and maintains vehicles and systems on vehicles and equipment, in addition to ensuring a clean, safe workplace.
This position does not supervise other employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Performs comprehensive vehicle safety inspections and preventive maintenance; performs mechanical repairs, rebuilds and/or overhauls vehicles and equipment including differential, manual and automatic transmissions; replaces mufflers and weld repairs exhaust systems.
• Tests, diagnoses and repairs all systems on County vehicles and equipment; inspects, tests and diagnoses mechanical and electrical systems for automotive, specialized road maintenance, heavy construction, and law enforcement equipment; determines the nature of repairs required to make vehicles/equipment safe and operable, this includes road tests after the repairs.
• Provides assistance with cleaning maintenance shop including sweeping and mopping floors, picking up tools, and cleaning shop benches; cleans and fuels vehicles; picks up and delivers vehicles and equipment in the field. 15%
• Designs and fabricates vehicle accessories, radio support mounts, emergency light mounts; cargo hold-downs and supports and ladders; installs equipment, modifications and additions including stripes and decals on law enforcement and emergency vehicles.
• Performs repairs on trailers and small equipment including generators, pumps, small engines, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, weed trimmers, and chain saws; performs preventative maintenance on vehicles/equipment in accordance with standardized maintenance schedules; determines materials, supplies and equipment required to complete work assignments.
• May operate service truck and towing equipment to provide emergency service on County vehicles as necessary. 10%
• Performs other duties as assigned
This position has no responsibility over any types of budget.
This position does not have PROJECT RESPONSIBILITIES.
ORAL COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position trains colleagues.
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position creates or edits documents, internal memos, emails and reports.
INTERACTIONS WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC
Interacts regularly with internal cowokers and other departmental personnel over the telephone, by email, and/or in person. Incidental contact with the public may occur as part of the work location.
INTERACTIONS SPECIFICALLY WITH CUSTOMERS
Frequently (More than 25% but less than 40% in a year)
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
High School Diploma or GED
19-004 PLEASE USE CDL/DRIVER'S EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
MINIMUM YEARS OF DIRECTLY RELATED EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Four (4) years automotive mechanic experience; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Technical school training in automotive maintenance and repair and/or trade certifications are desirable.
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS REQUIRED
A valid Class B Commercial Driver's License is required or must be obtained within six (6) months of employment. MAC/EMAC and ASE Certification preferred. Position is subject to drug and alcohol testing.
Electrical systems, mechanical (e.g., machines and tools), hazardous materials (handling and disposal), education. Automotive/equipment maintenance principles and practices; maintenance/repair methods and standards; instruments, tools and diagnostic equipment used to repair/maintain vehicles and equipment; safety precautions relevant to repairing, maintaining and operating light and heavy vehicles; design and fabrication techniques.
Customer service, routine maintenance, occasionally operating heavy equipment, operate and understand scan tools and electronic diagnostic tools and electronic service manuals, as well as, the printed versions.
Read and write minimum high school level, solve problems using deductive reasoning, perform tasks with finger dexterity, maintain hand, eye, coordination and follow orders.
• Occasionally stands to attend to customers.
• Occasionally sits to complete reports and to operate special equipment.
• May be required to lift work related materials, equipment, tools, and/or gears or more than 75 lbs. in weight.
• Constantly requires dexterity for special tools; occasionally requires dexterity for special machines.
• Incumbents in this position may be required to occasionally walk to and from work sites; regularly bend; occasionally stoop, crawl, kneel in, out, over and under vehicles that are being maintained.
Incumbents in this position perform work in a maintenance shop environment and in the field. May occasionally spend time in an office environment.
SAFETY RISK EXPOSURE
Incumbents in this position may be exposed to variable weather conditions when repairing vehicles in the field; exposure to motor, transmission and hydraulic oil, cleaning solvents, mechanical hazards, chemical hazards and electrical hazards.
PROTECTIVE GEAR & SAFETY MANUALS
Incumbents in this position are required to constantly follow written and/or electronic safety procedures and manuals relevant to the division or department. This position constantly requires safety foot wear, eye protection devices and hard hat; routinely requires hearing protection devices.
CONSEQUENCES OF ERROR
Potential errors can have legal ramifications, loss of funding, loss of organization's credibility.
APPLICANTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO FURNISH, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE, DOCUMENTARY PROOF OF EDUCATIONS, CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION, LICENSE OR ANY OTHER PROOF OF COMPETENCY AS REQUIRED IN THE OFFICIAL CLASSIFICATION DESCRIPTION OR ANNOUNCEMENT AND MAY BE REQUIRED TO UNDERGO PHYSICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL AND/OR BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS AS A CONTINUING CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT. FURTHER, APPLICANTS FOR POSITIONS REQUIRING OPERATION OF A COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE ON OFFICIAL BUSINESS MUST POSSESS AND MAINTAIN COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE OPERATORS LICENSE. GILA COUNTY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY, AND FAMILIAL STATUS IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISIONS OF SERVICE. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.