The City of Tacoma is seeking highly motivated people devoted to public service to join our team in providing exceptional service to the citizens and rate payers of Tacoma. Laborers are generally hired on a temporary basis (normally employed for a period of one hundred twenty (120) calendar days or less) to perform heavy manual labor, and can work with different Departments at the City of Tacoma and Tacoma Public Utilities. This is a great opportunity to join the City of Tacoma and acquire valuable work experience. If the below list of personal traits sounds like you, then you are just the type of person we are looking for to joinour teamas atemporary Laborer.
Examples of job responsibilities:
- Enjoy working both indoors and outdoors, in all types of weather conditions
- Great customer service
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Enjoysphysically demanding and variety ofjob tasks
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Sweeps streets, gutters and alleys, loads dirt from streets into a truck; removes snow from sidewalks and stairs, and spreads sand or salt on icy streets
- Cut grass and remove weeds on parking strips; rain gardens, ponds and ditches; rakes and loads grass and brush; mows lawns and cleans grounds; cuts trees and brush along rights-of-way; plants, waters and assists in care of shrubs, flowers and grass
- Digs ditches, trenches, and post holes and loads dirt and construction materials
- Pours concrete and fills pavement cracks with asphalt and shovels asphalt paving mix in repairs of streets
- Uses a jackhammer to break asphalt or concrete; shovels broken material into a dump truck
- Builds, repairs, cleans and maintains solid waste containers
- Delivers and removes solid waste containers for customers
- Picks up debris on and around the grounds and the buildings at the Recovery and Transfer Center
- Uses a pressure washer
- Uses manual and power tools
- Performs traffic control for job sites
- Performs light to medium manual labor and related duties as assigned.
Outdoor and indoor environments; subject to noise and fumes from equipment operation and adverse weather conditions. Position requires heavy lifting, climbing, hoisting and pulling.Candidates must successfully complete a physical ability test as a condition to hire. City of Tacoma Recruitment Information:
One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work and play.QualificationsEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Some experience in performing heavy manual work; completion of the eighth grade; or any equivalent combination of experience and training.LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Driver's License will be required at time of appointment and maintenance thereafter.Knowledge & SkillsKNOWLEDGE OF:
- Applicable occupational hazards and safety precautions
Selection Process & Supplemental InformationOur City:
- Ability to understand and follow specific oral instructions
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods, often under adverse climate conditions
- Maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Operate motor vehicles
- Perform heavy manual labor
With a population over 200,000, Tacoma is the second largest city in the Puget Sound region, gracing the shores of Commencement Bay. We are a diverse, progressive, international city that serves as a gateway to the Pacific Rim and the rest of the world. Named one of the most livable areas in the country by Livability.com, Tacoma and the surrounding area is a playground for outdoor and maritime enthusiasts. Our businesses are vibrant, our parks are beautiful, our schools are exceptional and our housing is affordable.
When you work for the City of Tacoma you'll enjoy a healthy work/life balance, the potential for flexible schedules with some job classifications, continuing education programs, leadership pathways, wellness incentives and a total rewards benefits program.We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny http://www.cityoftacoma.org/ and http://www.traveltacoma.com/
The City of Tacoma believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.Interested individuals must apply online and meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the referral process.
NOTE: This is a Continuous Recruitment that will remain open for an indefinite period of time.It is in the best interest of all candidates to ensure your application materials are submitted via our on-line processas soon as possible, as Hiring Managers from any City of Tacomaor Tacoma Public Utilities Department may select candidates for interview at any time.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on thereferral list for interview and hiring consideration. Once on the list, candidates may be considered for temporary Laborer vacancies at the City of Tacoma for one year. Candidates for this current recruitment will bemerged with a priorLaborer Eligible List established July, 2016, andthe Eligible List expiration date will be extended accordingly. Interviews may include a practical demonstration of skills and/or completion of a skills/knowledge assessment.
Per City of Tacoma Personnel Management Policy #170, the City of Tacoma is a drug-free work environment. Appointment is subject to passing a background check and a pre-employment medical exam and drug screen and physical ability test.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Teamsters Local 117.Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend at least an hour entering information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, callthe Human Resources officeat (253) 591.5400 before 5:00 pm of the closingdateof the job announcement.