Position/Program InformationEXAM NUMBER:
R8265D-RTYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job OpportunityAPPLICATION FILING PERIOD:
August 23 , 2021, at 8:00 a.m. (PT) until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.
The County of Los Angeles is recruiting highly motivated and career-minded individuals to fill the position of Veteran Intern, Outreach and Advocacy. To view classification standards for the position, please click HERE .
With more than 10 million residents, Los Angeles County is the most populous county in the nation. As the largest employer in Southern California, over 112,000 employees in more than 36 departments provide vital public services as diverse as law enforcement, property assessment, public health protection, water conservation, cultural activities, and many more.
Essential Job Functions
Depending on the area of assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Functions as a systems navigator, providing outreach and linkage to supportive services to at-risk and impacted veterans and their families.
- Assists with screening veterans to determine proper avenues for wellbeing in supportive services areas such as: health care, mental health care, substance abuse treatment, legal services, employment, and housing.
- Helps coordinate direct referrals to appropriate community and government agencies.
- Acts as an access agent, providing direction to resources for recovery and assistance programs. Aids Veterans and/or their family members with setting goals.
- Participates in veteran engagement events and community outreach in the County of Los Angeles.
- Assists in the development and evaluation of veteran and military family focused programs.
- Maintains a referral checklist of services provided while engaging in consistent follow up.
- Participates in continuing education and trainings, staying informed of all relevant resources and programs available within the community, cities, County, state, and Federal government.
No experience required; however, the veteran must have been discharged or released from active duty in the United States Armed Forces under honorable conditions. LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
A valid DD214, Certificate of Discharge or Separation from Active Duty, is required. PHYSICAL CLASS:
2 - Light. Light physical effort which may included occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
Applicants who have been previously appointed as a Veteran Intern, Outreach and Advocacy for more than 18 accumulative months will not be accepted. IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Please note that ALL information included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION .
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification and Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION and you may be DISQUALIFIED .
Additional InformationOUR ASSESSMENT PROCESS:
One we have determined that you meet the requirements, we will invite you to take a multiple-choice and/or simulation assessment weighted 100% covering: Customer Focus, Learning Potential, Responsibility .
MULTIPLE-CHOICE AND/OR SIMULATION ASSESSMENTS ARE NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19.
Applicants must meet the Minimum Requirements and receive a passing score of 70% or higher on the multiple-choice and/or simulation assessment in order to be placed on the eligible register.Please note:
Test Invitation Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail. TRANSFER OF TEST COMPONENTS:
- Applicants who have taken identical components recently for other exams may have their scores automatically transferred to this examination.
- This examination contains test components that may be used in the future for new examinations and your test scores may be transferred.
Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. While the guides will help you prepare for the test, we advise you to review all related materials that you deem necessary.
- An interactive, Online Test Preparation System for taking practice tests may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/ . Please click on "Find A Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Test preparation information is located under the "Employment Test Assistance" section.
- Additional online practice tests are available at https://www.shldirect.com/en-us/practice-tests / .
While these practice materials will help in preparing for the test, we advise you to review ALL related materials that you deem necessary.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and those earning a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be placed on the eligible register for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
A Selective Certification may be established for various languages. Pursuant to TITLE 5 - PERSONNEL, APPENDIX 1 (Civil Service Rule 11.03) of the Los Angeles County Code, Selective Certification may be used for some positions that require special skills and/or training. BENEFIT INFORMATION:
This is a temporary position. Temporary employees can qualify for a County Medical Plan and Pension Savings Plan but are not qualified to enroll in a contributory defined benefit pension plan. Please disregard any additional Benefit Information listed in this bulletin regarding benefits for permanent employees. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout Los Angeles County, as they occur. HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online only. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Plan to submit your online application in advance as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Applicants must attach a copy of DD214 (Certificate of Discharge or Separation from Active Duty), or other official documents issued by the branch of service at the time of filing. If you are unable to attach the required document, you must email your document(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org within 7 calendar days from application filing. Please be sure to include the name and examination title and number on documentation.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Minimum Requirements . Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, the number of hours worked per week, description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES: For applicants who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, you may borrow laptops and Wi-Fi hotspots from some public libraries throughout Los Angeles County to complete job applications. Please note some public libraries have reopened with limited access hours and may require a prior reservation to use their computers. For more information, please visit their website at https://lacountylibrary.org/reopening or contact the specific libraries directly.
NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD: All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. SPECIAL INFORMATION: Anti-Racism, Diversity, and Inclusion (ARDI)
The County of Los Angeles recognizes and affirms that all people are created equal and are entitled to all rights afforded by the Constitution of the United States. The Department of Human Resources is committed to promoting Anti-racism, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts to address the inequalities and disparities amongst race. We support the ARDI Strategic Plan and its goals by improving equality, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance (FCIHO)
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. TESTING ACCOMMODATION:
If you require an accommodation to fairly compete in any part of the assessment process, let us know by contacting the Testing Accommodations Coordinator at TestingAccommodations@hr.lacounty.gov . You will be required to complete the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form as well as provide supporting documentation from a qualified professional justifying the requested accommodation(s). The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can respond to your request and keep you moving through the process. COVID-19 VACCINATION
All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department.
______________________________________________________________________________ Testing Accommodations Coordinator:
TestingAccommodations@hr.lacounty.gov Teletype Phone: (800) 899-4099 Alternate Teletype Phone:
(800) 897-0077 California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735-2922 Department Contact Name:
James CheungDepartment Contact Phone:
(213) 738-2361Department Contact Email:
For detailed information, please click here
Closing Date/Time: Continuous