THE POSITION “THIS POSTING WILL BE OPEN UNTIL FILLED”With supervisor approval, incumbents may be eligible for intermittent remote work; however, they must physically reside within the State of California with the ability to report to Sacramento-based physical worksites daily if required.iDEAL CANDIDATE STATEMENT
The City of Sacramento is seeking an experienced, licensed Electrical Engineer, with extensive building and facilities power and lighting design to support the Architectural and Engineering section in the Division of Facilities and Real Property, Department of Public Works. The A&E section provides support for the maintenance of existing buildings and the construction of new buildings. Successful candidates will have experience designing electrical systems for a large variety of building types. Experience with police facilities, fire stations and commercial office buildings is a plus. The ability to collaborate with mechanical, structural, and architectural consultants and contractors is essential. Technical writing skills and a strong understanding of construction is also desired. The City offers a comprehensive incentive package including a very competitive salary base and excellent benefits.
Under general direction, the Senior Engineer participates in the conduct of complicated civil, structural, electrical, or mechanical engineering planning, design, construction, maintenance/operation, plan review, assessment, and regulatory activities; develops plans; inspects sites and assists in problem resolution; coordinates engineering related activities with other City departments and outside agencies; conducts engineering planning studies; conducts plan reviews; and prepares grant applications.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This advanced journey-level class is populated with multiple incumbents. Senior Engineers perform the most complex professional civil, structural, electrical, or mechanical engineering work requiring a substantial level of professional training. Incumbents may also lead professional and technical personnel on a team or project basis. Assignments require the exercise of independent judgment and initiative in scheduling, assigning, and coordinating work with that of other units, referring only unusual or highly-complex problems. Senior Engineer is distinguished from Supervising Engineer in that the latter manages broad professional engineering categories, such as electrical, mechanical, civil, structural, environmental, traffic, water, drainage, wastewater, or sanitation. The classification of Senior Engineer is distinguished from that of Associate Civil Engineer in that the former serves as project or team leader and performs the most complex and highly skilled engineering work while the latter is the journey level in the registered engineer series.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General direction is provided by higher level licensed professional staff. Incumbents may oversee a project team consisting of professional and technical personnel staff assigned to a project. Responsibilities may include direct or technical supervision of lower level personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed:
- Develop plans and estimates work orders for the construction of public works and capital improvement projects and programs (including public buildings, transportation infrastructure, public spaces, and public services); inspects project sites; assists in solution of difficult engineering problems; interprets specifications and City policy; makes change orders.
- Participates in the selection and management of consultant engineers for the development of plans and specifications, studies and reports; reviews plans for construction prepared by private engineers.
- Provides direct supervision over lower level staff including assigning, directing, training, and evaluating subordinate staff; performs evaluations; and recommends discipline.
- Checks computations and specified materials for accuracy and conformance with regulations; reviews and makes recommendations on technical reports and studies.
- Initiates and conducts engineering planning studies to identify public works facilities; reviews and participates in the preparation of environmental assessments and studies; prepares project status reports; and checks private building plans for compliance with City building codes and ordinances.
- Serves as staff to a variety of City commissions, boards, and committees on various engineering matters; and coordinates engineering related activities with other City departments, divisions, and sections and with outside agencies.
- Develops and implements environmental regulatory programs; and analyzes water quality data and prepares regulatory reports as applicable.
- Prepares various applications for state and federal grants; assists in the preparation and administration of budget and capital improvement plans.
- Within City guidelines, recommends and selects contractors; oversees contractor work.
- Manages and/or participates in the preparation of complex engineering studies and reports related to public works and capital improvement projects.
- Provides structural plan review for the most complex development projects and confirms construction documents comply with all code requirements; evaluates alternate materials, design, and methods of construction requests; and establishes schedules and methods for planning, design, construction, rehabilitation, and operation/maintenance.
- Provides technical advice and assistance to City staff.
- Participates in budget preparation and administration; prepares cost estimates for budget recommendations; submits justifications for services, labor, materials and related resources for public works projects and/or programs; monitors and controls expenditures.
- Oversees, reviews, and participates in preparation of environmental assessments and studies related to City and private projects; meets with developers to discuss projects or to resolve design issues; and reviews new development plans.
- Prepares and presents information to City Council and various commissions.
- Performs other or related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of engineering.
- Modern methods and techniques used in the design and construction of a wide variety of engineering projects and programs.
- Modern developments, current literature, and sources of information regarding the assigned area of engineering.
- Applicable laws and regulations relevant to design and construction in the area of assignment.
- Methods, materials and techniques used in planning, design, construction, maintenance/operation, and rehabilitation of a variety of public works facilities and systems.
- Principles, methods, and practices of budgeting.
- Principles and practices of safety management.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, ordinances and regulations
- Principles of supervision and training.
- Use of computers, computer applications, and software.
- Use of computer aided design systems.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Interpret and apply rules, regulations, laws, ordinances, and policies.
- Make complex engineering computations.
- Check, design, and supervise the construction of a wide variety of public and private facilities.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Use a variety of drafting and engineering apparatus.
- Oversee contractor work assignments or work projects.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Plan, assign, and supervise the work of a diverse staff in the accomplishment of engineering projects and programs.
Four years of professional-level engineer experience.
Possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in an engineering discipline related to the area of assignment. PROOF OF EDUCATION
Proof of education such as, but not limited to, university/college transcripts anddegrees should be submitted with your application and will be required at the time of appointment.
Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable.
An applicant with a college degree obtained outside the United States must have education records evaluated by a credentials evaluation service. Evaluation of education records will be due at time of appointment.SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License may be required at the time of appointment.
For positions where ability to drive is not an essential function, the employee must be able to arrange reliable and timely transportation whether through use of a private vehicle, use of government vehicle (when available) or through other private or public transportation for attendance at essential off-site meetings, events, and trainings.
Possession of a Certificate of Registration as a professional engineer in the State of California. PROOF OF CERTIFICATION
Proof of the required certificate and/or license should be submitted with your application and will be required at the time of appointment
. Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox. 1. Application:
(Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online
a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline ;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the duties area of the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on full-time experience (40 hours per week). Qualifying experience is calculated to the full-time equivalent (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
Position/job titles will not be considered in determining eligibility for meeting the minimum qualifications for this position. Proof of education such as, but not limited to, university/college transcripts and degrees should be submitted online with your application. Proof of education will be required at time of appointment.
Proof of certification and/or license should be submitted online with your application. Proof of certification and/or license will be required at time of appointment. 2. Supplemental Questionnaire:
(Pass/Fail) - In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline ;
3. Screening Committee:
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
- Possession of the minimum qualifications is not necessarily a guarantee for further advancement in the selection process.
(Pass/Fail) - All applications received by the final filing deadline will be forwarded to the hiring department for review. The hiring department will select the most competitive applications for further consideration. Human Resources will only evaluate employment applications for the minimum qualifications, as stated on the job announcement, for applications selected by the hiring department. 4. Interview Process:
Human Resources will forward applications to the hiring department. Those determined to be the most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview process. 5. Conditional Hire:
Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan/fingerprinting. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment. QUESTIONS:
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM - 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities ;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org ; or
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726
Did you know that the City offers bilingual pay? That's right, most labor agreements offer the option of providing employees with bilingual pay if the department deems it to be operationally necessary.
Pension Reform Act
The City of Sacramento is covered by the California Public Employees' Retirement System, and as such, must adhere to the California Public Employee's Pension Reform Act (PEPRA) of 2013. Please note that the provisions within this act may affect or impact an applicant's eligibility and/or selection for open vacancies at the City of Sacramento.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Civil Service Rules: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Divisions/Administration/HR-Boards-Commissions/Civil-Service-Board
Union Contracts: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Divisions/Labor-Relations/Labor-Agreements
Salary Schedule: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Document-Library