OVERVIEWJoin our team and work with a amazing team of engineers, that will invest in you, value your creativity and innovation ! This posting may also be used to fill positions in Sewer Utility, Survey, Traffic, or Construction. Engineer 1 - Design
Performs professional office and field civil engineering activities requiring the application of basic engineering principles and methods for the design of Public Works road, bridge, culvert and other transportation projects. Duties involve technical and complex work in researching, designing, drafting, estimating, preparing specifications, final contract documents applying basic engineering principles and methods and performing senior level technical computer aided design and drafting (CADD) for assigned County projects. Working knowledge with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and with Microsoft Word and Excel software applications required. QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Required Education and Experience for all Positions
- Registered as an Engineer in Training (EIT)*; or
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering** field (degree obtained by June 30, 2023); or
- Equivalent four years related civil engineering* experience working under the direct supervision of a licensed Professional Engineer (PE).
- Experience using AutoCAD, Civil 3D and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Experience with WWHM Windows and Western Washington Hydrology Model software program.
**"Engineering" means the "practice of engineering" as defined in RCW 18.43.020.Note: Qualifications for this position must be met; no other equivalencies will be accepted.
Kitsap County requires verification of education, certification and/or experience. The following information is required to meet the minimum qualifications for this position:
- Certification: A copy of the Engineer in Training Certificate; OR
- Education: Official transcripts from an ABET Accredited School of Engineering; OR
- Experience : Complete a verification form and submit it during the application process. The form includes verification of work performed under the direct supervision of a Professional Engineer, Professional Engineer signature and PE stamp/seal or a copy of their current license; OR
- Combination of Education and Experience: Official Transcripts from an ABET Accredited School and complete a verification form and submit it during the application process. The form includes verification of the work performed under the direct supervision of the Professional Engineer, Professional Engineer and PE stamp/seal or a copy of their current license.
The successful incumbent must meet the driving requirements of this position and submit a copy a current driving record/abstract (from state of residency) to review for eligibility to drive for Kitsap County prior to employment. The successful incumbent must obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License prior to hire and maintain a satisfactory driving record as outlined in the Kitsap County Vehicle Use Policy. This position is categorized as a:
Required Licenses, Certificates, Examinations/Tests and Other Requirements
- Category 1 Driver and operates County-owned vehicle.
The incumbent is responsible for obtaining and maintaining all the following required licenses, certifications and other requirements. Prior to employment, the successful candidate must:
Required Working Conditions / Physical Activities
- Submit official transcripts from an accredited college or university or business school, if education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications.
- Pass all job-related examinations/tests necessary to demonstrate required knowledge, skills and abilities, as determined by the hiring authority at time of job posting.
- Authorize and complete a criminal background check. Information received is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and will not necessarily remove a candidate from consideration.
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Exposure to a variety of weather conditions while driving or conducting field work.
- Exposure to physical hazards from traffic, field site environment and construction equipment.
- Requires lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling various survey, inspection and testing equipment and materials up to 50 pounds (to 10% of time).
- Requires bending/stooping/climbing/twisting while traversing rough, undeveloped terrain or construction sites or while conducting inspections and surveys.
- Requires reaching, sitting, standing, mobility, and grasping; talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
- Who May Apply: These positions are open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, which may include testing for office and computer skills.
- This position is classified as eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Non-represented and covered under the Kitsap County Personnel Manual.
- Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.
- Flexible work hours are available, as approved by management.
- This posting may be used to fill future full time and part time openings.
- Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the application materials submitted. Per RCW 42.56.250, all applications for public employment, including the names of applicants, resumes, and other related materials submitted with respect to an applicant are exempt from public inspection.
New hires are eligible for the incentive of up to 10% of salary (not to exceed $10,000).
The recruitment incentive will be paid in a lump sum amount upon hire in the first regular payroll. In consideration for the recruitment incentive, the candidate will agree to remain employed with the department for a minimum of two years. Should employment end, for any reason, prior to the two-year expiration, the lump sum will be repaid in a pro-rated amount based upon the number of months that remain.