PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITIONIST II
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. Premium Pay and Additional Benefits
In addition to the hourly salary, eligible applicants may receive premium pay for the items listed below:
Other Additional Premium Pays
- Bilingual pay: Qualified employees who meet the criteria found ( page 18 ) shall receive an additional seventy $0.70 cents per hour for all hours paid.
- Education Reimbursement: Eligible employees are qualified for up to $10,000 per fiscal year of pre-approved educational reimbursement (Pg 27). The reimbursement program may also be used for related licensure or certifications, subject to approval.
This recruitment is open to the public
for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST)
on the day the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open
eligible list to fill current and future Public Health Nutritionist II vacancies within the Health Care Agency. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange. HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven (7) service areas - Administrative and Financial, Strategy and Special Projects, Mental Health and Recovery Services, Correctional Health, Director's Office, Medical Health and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. THE DEPARTMENT
Through assessment, policy development and assurance, Public Health Services
provides a wide range of services aimed at reducing death and disability by reducing the transmission of communicable diseases, preventing and lessening the impact of chronic diseases, and ensuring healthy and safe environments. THE PROGRAM Nutrition Services
is the County's major resource for nutrition information, providing a number of services that improve the health of Orange County residents. The program provides information on healthy eating and physical activity through the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) and CalFresh Healthy Living programs. Other services include detention facility inspections and nutritional consults as well as partnership with multiple programs throughout the County. THE OPPORTUNITY
The Public Health Nutritionist II is responsible for the implementation of nutrition programs and regulations per Federal and State requirements.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Develop the nutrition education and training plan, which includes identifying nutrition topics and curricula for clients and staff, and developing lessons plans/group or online classes/counseling modules and all associated materials
- Provide actual training and conduct quality assurance to ensure compliance to the lessons developed
- Provide content for program communications such as articles, social media messages, bulletin boards and other mediums
- Work with internal and external partners, subcontractors, and community to support the implementation of the integrated work plan
- Provide technical support and training to community/resident leaders and partners that serve the target population
- Provide key support to senior program staff in the planning, initiation, and evaluation of future nutrition projects by assessing comprehension, practices, and opportunities
The ideal candidate will be a Registered Dietitian with at least one (1) year of experience working in a public health related program.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities in the following competencies:Professional & Technical Expertise l Legal & Regulatory Navigation l Using Technology
Leadership | Managing Performance
- Maintaining normal, therapeutic, and public health nutrition programs including current research and the food system
- Providing nutrition care and services to populations and individuals at each stage of life and for a range of clinical and socio-economic conditions.
- Incorporating public health functions and essential public health nutrition services, community nutrition assessments and program, personnel, fiscal and data management skills
- Assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating activities, projects, and programs to meet defined public health measures
- Monitoring nutrition policies, procedures, protocols and quality improvement systems and contract deliverables, to assure consistency, effectiveness, and compliance
- Utilizing digital media software to create brochures, pamphlets, flyers, and instructional aides
- Creating social media campaigns for outreach, engagement, and awareness
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Building & Maintaining Relationships
- Providing strong leadership by creating a productive work environment and facilitating and demonstrating teamwork and cooperation
- Applying effective facilitation skills to engage, inspire, and motivate staff and strategic partners
- Operating assignments and work plans with a high level of autonomy and independence
- Managing workload effectively, following directions and meeting program deadlines
Critical Thinking | Decision Making
- Interacting with mid and high-level managers and government officials, directors, community leaders and other health professionals, educators, and the public for the purpose of offering services
- Collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to accomplish projects and goals to ensure timely completion and quality product
l Innovative Problem Solving
Written & Oral Communication
- Ability to assess needs, develop original ideas, and employ creative problem-solving methods
- Applying, planning, managing, and evaluating techniques for public health nutrition programs and/or individual clients such as administering pre and post-tests and surveys
- Analyzing evaluation results to ascertain program effectiveness and recommending methods for improvements
- Providing critical and relevant information to program management in a timely manner
- Being adaptable and flexible while maintaining a focus on program quality of care and service
l Presentation Skill
- Ensuring all aspects of education are culturally competent and literacy level appropriate
- Developing and delivering effective written and verbal communication with various audiences
- Developing and implementing population-based community interventions to guide individual clients to choose healthier diets such as coordinating and facilitating nutrition classes
- Presenting and delivering information clearly and in an organized manner
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Public Health Nutritionist II
classification. PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENT, ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS Physical Requirements
Must have the body mobility to walk, climb stairs, reach, bend, twist, reach overhead and stoop; stamina to sit for a prolonged period of time (up to one hour); strength to lift and carry or push and pull objects such as boxes of materials and supplies, which may weigh up to 25 lbs.; hearing for normal conversations, ability to work in diverse environments; and the ability to drive a car. Environmental Conditions
Will be required to work in clinic or community environment; may work with individuals who have a communicable disease; may be assigned to evenings and/or weekends. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy. Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Application Appraisal | HR Review Rating (Weighted 100%):
An Application Appraisal conducted by HRS will thoroughly screen and evaluate all application materials for job knowledge, competencies, and related experience described above. Only the most qualified applicants will be placed on the eligible list. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures. Eligible List
Once the assessment process has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination and boosting as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted in accordance with applicable state orders . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason)
- In addition, depending on assignment and COVID-19 Community Level, workers in certain high-risk settings may be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. Email Notification Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.Frequently Asked Questions
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact John Duckson at (714) 834-3119 or firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous