CLASS SUMMARYJOIN THE SPOKANE CITY STREET DEPARTMENT AND KEEP OUR CITY MOVING!
The City of Spokane Street Department is looking for temp-seasonal workers to be a part
of our winning team, contributing to the success of our city.
(season is typically April through October).
The employee in this position will be responsible for performing semi-skilled manual work.
Seasonal workers are utilized in various Streets departments. Duties are routine requiring some independent judgment in making minor decisions. Duties require considerable physical activity, heavy lifting and are performed under hazardous or adverse weather conditions.
- Our Maintenance temp-seasonal employees will work four, 10-hour days typically Mon-Thu or Tue-Fri.
- Our Signs and Marker temp-seasonal employees will work 9-hour days Mon-Fri and have every other Friday off.
Employees will be doing street maintenance work which could include crack sealing, weed
cutting, shoveling asphalt, flagging, putting out traffic control, striping, putting up signs, driving trucks or other tasks assigned.
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
The following Responsibilities and Requirements are functions the individual who holds or desires the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to see, with or without corrective lenses, well enough to read standard print.
- Ability to speak with sufficient volume to be heard and understood over loud noise.
- Ability to hear, with or without a hearing aid, well enough to converse in person or on the telephone, and to hear a two-way radio conversation.
- Enough manual dexterity to operate tools and equipment.
- Enough body mobility to climb, crawl, walk and kneel.
- Enough stamina for heavy and awkward lifting, sustained walking and standing for up to four (4) hours at a time with only one fifteen (15) minute break.
- Enough strength to lift and carry heavy objects weighing up to 100 lbs.
Respectful, courteous, and friendly to customers, other City employees, and City leadership. A
team player that helps the organization meet its objectives. Takes initiative to meet work
objectives. Effectively communicates with customers and other City employees. Gets along with co-workers and managers. Positively represents the City, maintaining the trust City residents have placed in each of us. Demonstrates honest and ethical behaviors.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Possession of a valid driver's license (Class "B" Commercial Driver's License (CDL} with air brake endorsement required for some positions). Candidates without CDL or endorsement are encouraged to apply.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screening
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information, veteran/military status or disability status.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-10-01