Description: CLASSIFICATION TITLE:
Accountant I UNION CODE:
Full-time PAY PLAN:
12-month WORKPLACE TYPE:
On-site (work in-person at business location) ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE:
$4,300 - $5,000
CSU CLASSIFICATION SALARY RANGE:
- However, offer amount will be commensurate with candidate’s experience, education, skills, and training.
$4,039 - $7,568 PAY BASIS:
CSUB offers a best-in-class benefit package for eligible employees that includes an array of medical plans, choice of dental plans, vision coverage, retirement participation in CalPERS, CSU tuition waiver, up to 24 vacation days per year, sick leave with unlimited accrual, 14 paid holidays per year and more! See our benefits website for additional information. CANDIDATES ELIGIBLE TO APPLY:
Open to all qualified applicants SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT: FOR PRIORITY CONSIDERATION
, applications must be received by April 6, 2023 ; however, the position will remain open until filled. CSU requires
faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19
or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy [calstate.policystat.com] and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org . POSITION PURPOSE: DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: General Accounting Duties
Prepare adjustments, journal entries, reports, expenditure transfers, and monthly reconciliations. Analyze transactions for correct coding and assignment of revenues and expenditures. Assist with the completion of schedules for various business units, funds and accounts for monthly reporting and annual audit. Provide customer service to campus constituents by answering questions, providing information, making referrals, and assuring appropriate follow-through and/or resolution. Maintain accurate financial records. Reporting Duties
Update monthly schedules for invoicing, drawdowns and financial reporting. Develop and maintain detailed schedules for project close-outs and effort reporting. Maintain databases and software related to reporting needs. Assist with monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes and reporting. Tax Related Duties
Assist in the compilation, review and/or preparation of tax reports and returns as required. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE -
Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field, or a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. LICENSES -
N/A SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES (SKA’s) -
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); office methods and procedures; statistical and mathematical presentation of data; advanced proficiency with current word processing, spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
- General understanding of internal control methods.
- Working knowledge of financial statement process and Board reporting processes.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and/or governmental accounting standards.
- Ability to interpret and follow instructions and policy guidelines; analyze financial and statistical data and draw conclusions; utilize problem solving techniques.
- Communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying technical information to non-Accountants.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply financial policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of computer applications including word-processing (i.e. Word), spreadsheets (i.e. Excel), databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email (i.e. Outlook).
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance, or a closely related field.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Experience with PeopleSoft accounting environment.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
SEDENTARY WORK - involves mainly sitting; minimal walking and standing; lifting light weight objects limited to 15 pounds. ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS:
N/A SPECIAL CONDITIONS: SCREENING:
Only those applicants possessing experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience, and interest in the position. CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEES UNION:
It shall be the policy of the CSU in filling vacant CSUEU bargaining Units 2, 5, 7 & 9 positions to fill such vacancies from among qualified individuals currently employed on-campus except when it is determined that it is necessary to appoint outside applicants to meet campus workforce diversity goals or to provide specialized skills and abilities that are not available from current employees. BACKGROUND CHECK:
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position. SENSITIVE POSITION:
Sensitive positions are designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of the people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSU or individuals in the university community. MANDATED REPORTER:
Not Mandated GENERAL INFORMATION:
It is the policy of California State University, Bakersfield to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to present documentation verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be requested to present a social security card at the time of initial appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work. EEO STATEMENT:
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled