Description: Type of Appointment:
Full-time, Management Personnel Plan (MPP III) Anticipated Salary Range:
$125,000 to $145,000 Yearly (Commensurate with qualifications and experience) Recruitment Closing Date:
Open Until Filled First Application Review Date:
April 3, 2023REQUIRED- All candidates must submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- Three References
IT&IP supports and promotes the mission of the university through the strategic use of information and technology resources of the faculty, staff, and students to support and enhance the teaching and learning environment. IT&IP provides technologies, strategies, leadership, and support, all of which enhance teaching, learning, and the quality of the student experience, personal productivity, and administrative effectiveness.
IT Applications provides services and support for Campus Applications for specific departments and campus-wide clientele; Enterprise Systems (such as integrated modules for Financial, Human Resources, and the Student System); Administrative Support via 3rd party software (such as for Housing, ASI, Parking, Police, Facilities, Academic Program specific to a department, college, or division); and Media Vision & Web Technical Development for the university.
Enterprise Applications is a department within IT Applications and has a responsibility to provide systems analysis, programming, some reporting, technical support, consultation, and testing of the enterprise-wide system for the campus. Currently, Oracle’s PeopleSoft System is used by the campus for Financials, Human Resources, and Student Administration. The unit assists in and tracks testing protocols related to patches and upgrades in PeopleSoft modules; supports the development of dashboards and database reports; works with departments, users, and subject matter experts to improve functionality and troubleshoot issues as they arise; administers user security for PeopleSoft, tracks technology projects and tasks, coordinates resources to assure the timely delivery of services and project completion.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Leadership and Management
Under the general direction of the Executive Director, Enterprise Application and Data Warehouse, provides vision, leadership, and coordinated delivery of services related to supporting PeopleSoft Enterprise-Wide Applications and its modules. Coordinates PeopleSoft data with other application services that include portal, OnBase, administrative areas, Data Warehouse, and OBIEE/ODI Dashboards. Direct and manage the Enterprise Applications Department, a unit within IT. Oversee the ongoing support and maintenance for the enterprise-wide PeopleSoft applications to ensure data integrity and accuracy. Delegate responsibilities as needed and assign workload based on the area of expertise, department operational directives, division, and campus priorities.
- Refer and communicate issues to the appropriate technical/programming staff for resolution.
- Empower staff to make independent decisions at appropriate operational levels.
- Maintain the rotation of staff among the functional areas for cross-training and backup system support across all enrollment functions
- Guide and assist staff in formulating and tracking individual performance goals and/or work plans that enhance and support the department's mission and goals.
Function as a HEERA manager and provide first-or-second-level supervision of full-time professionals, administrative assistant(s), and student workers. Train, supervise, evaluate and hire professional technical staff; recommend and refer personnel action to the Executive Director, Enterprise Application and Data Warehouse.
- Assess and analyze the abilities of technical staff and complete performance evaluations.
- Meet regularly with direct reports to assess their progress toward established goals, provide support and direction, promote accountability, and acknowledge meritorious performance.
- Provide professional development opportunities to promote collegiality, teamwork, and skilled and ethical performance.
- Approve time and attendance online reporting and leave forms.
- Responsible for adherence to Union contracts, University policy, and promoting a diverse work environment.
- Assess and analyze the abilities of technical staff to guide and assist staff in formulating individual performance goals and/or work plans that enhance and support the department's mission and goals.
- Review positions on an ongoing basis to maximize the utilization of staff in meeting current and projected operation needs, employ staff with skills, interests, and growth opportunities that best match position responsibilities and provide opportunities for growth and advancement.
- Facilitate job rotations and support cross training efforts.
Serve as “Administrator-in-Charge” when designated in the absence of the the Executive Director, Enterprise Application and Data Warehouse. Meet regularly with the Executive Director, Enterprise Applications and Data Warehouse, and department leadership team to advise and receive direction related to personnel, budget, procurement, planning, and overall management of unit operations. Develop work plans and technology/service implementation plans in support of unit operations or projects. Identify opportunities for the enhanced use of information and technology. Identify problems and envision alternatives and solutions in a collaborative environment. Use sound judgment and decision-making in order to find solutions and implement appropriate and timely resolutions. Deliver presentations and facilitate large and small group meetings; conduct training on various topics related to the use of university data and software solutions. Work with other divisional technical staff as appropriate to coordinate and assist in various technical support activities; share information and seek assistance. Interact and collaborate with staff, administrators, and faculty on a regular basis. Demonstrate excellence in technical communication skills, interpersonal interactions, and written correspondence with Department, Division, University staff, and external vendors/contacts in person, by telephone, and via mail/email. Communicate with appropriate management and staff members regarding imminent information systems or data security problems and arranges for alternatives.
Enterprise Application Support
Serve as the PeopleSoft Administration representative for Cal Poly Pomona on the CSU System-wide User Groups such as TUG, HUG, FUG, and SAUG. Serve as a conduit for information between user groups and the campus and contributes to the development and enhancement of the system-wide CMS structure and service-oriented products and processes. Manage and provide oversight for the accomplishment of goals and objectives as related to the implementation and resource management of the PeopleSoft enterprise-wide system based upon established campus priorities. Identify, prioritize and manage day-today operations and development initiatives in support of institutional goals and service improvement. Provide consultative support and expertise in the administration of the student system database. Provides functional advice and expertise to the functional areas to ensure optimal system use and performance; research delivered applications and best practices; assist with the development of specifications for modifications, data extracts, interfaces, and compatibility with third-party software. Provide coordination and stewardship of enhancements to existing functions (i.e., use of features not currently in production) Facilitate fit/gap analysis and business process review to align appropriate business processes and system performance/functionality. Coordinate and monitor functional test process and migration for patches/fixes and ongoing baseline releases. Provide oversight and direction for the self-service portal and campus community functions of the database system. Participate in security and access administration to recommend and implement policies and procedures for campus use; assist with troubleshooting as needed. Coordinate user access for enhancements and new implementation. This includes controls for data confidentiality and security, the creation, assignment and monitoring of appropriate user profiles, permission lists and roles, development of user access request and notification process. Prepare progress reports and inform the Executive Director, Enterprise Application and Data Warehouse, of project status and deviation from goals; prepare reports for management guidance.
Systems Analysis and Development
Work within the division of the university to assist other offices with technology issues such as: process mapping and design, assessment of technology needs, requirements for custom reports, and other projects as requested. Collaborate on interfaces between PeopleSoft and other campus systems. Serve as the primary resource for the investigation, evaluation, design, development, operation, implementation, and maintenance of process automation. Analyze existing departmental information needs in order to define reports for trend analysis and decision-making. Lead the programming and testing of new applications to ensure project success. Facilitate scheduled/un-scheduled mods, upgrades, and maintenance packs with the change management process of IT. Work closely with functional areas and programming staff to coordinate development of electronic data exchange programs with PeopleSoft where appropriate. Assist with the implementation of new PeopleSoft modules or the modification of those that do not meet current needs. Compose and develop complex applications reports and queries from the PeopleSoft Student Information System to departments with data needs. Develop, maintain, and utilize assessment tools that measure staff performance, the effectiveness of processes, timeliness of notification to students, and general office productivity. Coordinate, schedule, and test upgrades to the PeopleSoft Student Administration. Coordinate security access to PeopleSoft, review forms, and access for faculty and staff. Coordinate the documentation of process guides for SA Security, Student Groups, Advising, and other academic-related functions. QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s Degree OR Bachelor’s Degree and a year of relevant graduate program course work can substitute for experience on a year to year basis up to 3 years
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in managing systems and or technology projects, supervision of professional, technical and /or administrative staff.
- Familiarity with process analysis techniques and flow charting, ability to understand and interpret technical information and communicate technical information to non-technical individuals, familiarity with professional development and progressive discipline techniques, ability to understand and interpret complex policies and related documents. Strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills and ability to work in a team environment. Ability to lead, motivate, manage, train and develop staff.
- Experience with project management tools and ability to track progress to ensure timely completion of projects and tasks. Experience in or extensive knowledge of enrollment services functions such as registration, admissions, financial aid, orientation, and complex student information systems. Working knowledge of PeopleSoft Financials and HCM.
- Prior management experience within a comprehensive or large university environment, preferably a California State University campus or a University of California campus, in a technology-related environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work proactively and creatively in a fast paced and ever changing environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a decentralized environment with multiple and diverse priorities by basing decisions on sound judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and ability to coordinate systems and applications needs analysis, conduct feasibility studies, develop operating procedures, and process automation for complex manual procedures.
- Expertise in critical support services, complex applications support; excellent customer service.
- Experience coordinating technical support for complex applications Experience developing, implementing and maintaining applications and database solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to transition between strategic vision and operational details in order to successfully define and implement department goals in alignment with division and university goals and core values.
- Ability to effectively use strong communication skills to achieve continuous improvement in communications internally and externally to the department.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills that model the characteristics of a learning-centered organization.
- Experience in developing and conducting IT training to technical and non-technical users
- Effective communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate with technical and nontechnical users.
- Demonstrated ability to offer constructive opinions and alternative solutions to a problem, and be supportive of the final decision once it has been made. Ability to define problems, research and analyze data requirements, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and interpret an extensive variety of technical and functional processes.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who physically access campus facilities or programs to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes obtaining a COVID-19 booster dose, or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest .Out of State Work
The California State University (CSU) system is a network of twenty-three public universities providing access to a quality education through the support of California taxpayers. Part of CSU’s mission is to prepare educated, responsible individuals to contribute to California’s schools, economy, culture, and future. As an agency of the State of California, the CSU’s business operations almost exclusively reside within California. The CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside California. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/v2/policy/10899725/latest/ . Background Check
Cal Poly Pomona will make a conditional offer of employment, pending the satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check). The conditional offer of employment may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. In determining the suitability of the candidate for the position, Cal Poly Pomona will give an individualized assessment to any criminal conviction history, considering such factors as the nature, gravity and recency of the conviction, the candidate’s conduct, performance or rehabilitation efforts since the conviction and the nature of the job applied for. See policy at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor//documents/employment-policies/hr2017-17.pdf . I-9
Cal Poly Pomona hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents .Conflict of Interest
This position is a “designated position” in the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. See policy at https://www.calstate.edu/csu-system/faculty-staff/systemwide-human-resources/conflict-of-interest/ .Outside Employment Disclosure
Prospective Executive and Management Plan Personnel employees must disclose all current outside employment at the time of hire as a precondition of hire and at the following times after hire: annually in July, within 30 days of accepting outside employment, and upon their manager’s request. See policy at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor//documents/employment-policies/hr2016-06.pdf .Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA)
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/v2/policy/10927154/latest/ .Smoking
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/ . Clery Act
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal Poly Pomona Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://www.cpp.edu/campus-safety-plan.shtml .Reasonable Accommodation
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact the ADA Coordinator by email at ADACoordinator@cpp.edu . More information is available at: https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor//access-accommodations/index.shtml .EEO
Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to the pay transparency nondiscrimination provision and all state and federal regulations that prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. More information is available at: https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OFCCP/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf and at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor/documents/aa-eeo-doc/policy-statement_2022-aap-for-california-state-polytechnic-university-pomona_confidential_20220127.pdf .
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled