About Our Job
The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces and equitable policies & procedures.
The Blair-Caldwell African American Research Library branch is located near downtown and provides a variety of services to the community. Highlighting the history of African Americans in the West, Blair-Caldwell is a valued community resource and serves a diverse population. The three floors of this library provide visitors with a unique cultural experience, allowing all to learn about and celebrate the Five Points community. Staff at Blair-Caldwell have the opportunity to be a partner in the neighborhood, all while developing personal and professional skills within the larger library system.
Essential duties of the Security Officer position include patrolling the interior and exterior of the branch, writing reports about incidents and daily activities, monitoring activities using security surveillance, directing customers to programs and events in the building, promoting the library’s spaces to visitors, offering suggestions on security matters to the branch manager, partnering with the Security Department at the Central Library and forming positive relationships with colleagues. The person in this role will use their excellent customer service skills and security savvy to create positive and welcoming experiences for library customers.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Knowledge of security equipment, including surveillance software
- Knowledge of the Five Points neighborhood
- Skill in de-escalation and positive communication
- Ability to exercise quick and mature judgment in dealing with potentially disruptive, abusive customers and emergencies
- Ability to complete concise and grammatically correct reports
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to use basic workplace technology including email, internet and automated software
- Ability to pass a physical and background check after the offer to hire has been made
- Spanish language fluency (preferred, not required)
We know your time is valuable. Applicants who meet the following minimum requirements will be considered:
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- One year civilian or military experience in security, safety, loss prevention or law enforcement, or related academic training/education
- A current Colorado driver’s license with a good driving record, or ability to obtain one within one year of hire
Other things to know:
- The schedule will be Tuesday-Saturday, weekly.
We anticipate this posting will remain open until filled. Please submit an application at your earliest convenience in order to be considered.
About Everything Else
LN1926 Security Officer
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Library Hiring Range
$17.29 - $19.45
$17.77.00 - $21.61
Denver Public Library
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.