Description: Executive Director of CSU WATER
(Administrator II) Compensation and Benefits
The Anticipated Hiring Salary is $135,000 - $151,000 per year and is competitive and negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a CSU Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here .Job Summary
Under general oversight from the CSU Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research and the Presidential Oversight Committee, the Executive Director is responsible for the performance, coordination, and accountability of the California State University’s Water Advocacy, Technology, Education and Research (WATER) program. CSU WATER will be a division of Fresno State’s California Water Institute. The Executive Director shall report to the interim Associate Vice President (AVP) for the California Water Institute for day-to-day operations and to the Presidential Oversight Committee regarding the strategic direction, accomplishments, and updates on current and pursued projects.Key Qualifications
- Demonstrated knowledge with significant research and outreach activities that address critical agricultural, urban, and environmental water and sustainability issues in California.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of California water.
- Knowledge of the principles of institutional planning and budget processes.
- Knowledge of computer office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and software packages (Microsoft Office Suite, Google apps).
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and make strategic business decisions.
- Ability to provide effective leadership, facilitate group participation and consensus building.
- Exercise sound administrative judgment and initiative in the development of new methods and procedures and in the solution of difficult personnel problems.
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for promoting and advancing program initiates.
- Review and evaluate program service delivery methods and systems to identify opportunities for improvement and implements changes to standard operating procedures.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, and prepare detailed written reports and correspondence.
- Organizational and time-management skills with the ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks and projects under competing deadlines and maintain flexibility in response to constantly shifting priorities.
- A proven track record of significant accomplishments and a demonstrated entrepreneurial approach to leadership relating to water and sustainability issues.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with academic administrators, faculty and students; and to build and strengthen partnerships and collaborations with University constituencies including internal and external advisory boards.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description
button above.Education and Experience
- An earned doctoral degree is required.
- A minimum of ten years of related experience with five years of significant leadership experience is required.
- Preferred Skills:
- Demonstrated experience in securing and managing financial resources for water and sustainability programs.
- Demonstrated experience and/or strong familiarity with public relations, marketing, and/or brand management of water and sustainability programs.
- Earned advanced degree and/or qualifications for the rank of full professor in one of the University’s disciplines.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in building and enhancing strategic partnerships with a wide range of national, state, and local stakeholders including elected officials; government agencies; various groups within the water industry; as well as business leaders, community groups, and other regional organizations.
The California State University is helping change the way California manages water. Founded in 2008 and composed of more than 250 water experts from throughout its 23 campuses, CSU-WATER, Water Advocacy Towards Education and Research (WATER) is developing water management solutions through research, partnerships, education and training that provides students with hands-on learning.Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by April 16, 2023
will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate. policystat.com/policy/9779821/ latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .Supplemental Information
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled