Description:Job Summary *All Applicants must follow the Application Procedures in order to be considered for this position*
Reporting to the College of Science (CoS) Dean, the Moss Landing Marine Labs (MLML) Executive Director is an expert in Marine Sciences and provides vision, administrative oversight, coordination of research activities and philanthropic activities at MLML. Primary responsibilities include administrative oversight, personnel, operations and budget and fiscal management of state-side, SJSU Research Foundation (SJSURF) and SJSU Tower Foundation (SJSUTF) budgets.
The MLML executive director collaborates closely with the CoS dean’s office leadership, and efficiently uses resources to optimize operation and implement college and SJSU policies and practices. The executive director also collaborates with the Chair of the Marine Sciences Department at MLML on curricular issues to maintain compliance with SJSU and CoS guidelines and policies.
The executive director oversees the administrative activities for MLML and supervises key personnel who work on a wide variety of programs, research activities, special projects, events and other duties as assigned. The executive director also works broadly with the leadership and staff in the college and adopts continuous process improvement (CPI) to achieve business optimization and enhance the effectiveness of services offered at MLML.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- The executive director has primary management oversight for MLML state staff and Research Foundation non-tenure/tenure track faculty and staff, and secondary oversight for project employees
- Recommends initiatives and changes to maintain quality and fiscal responsibility of services at MLML. Identifies and determines causes of problems; develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices to the college dean; initiates and implements plans to solve problems with college dean’s approval
- Works closely and communicates regularly with the college dean’s office leadership
- Develops and recommends budget for state, SJSURF and SJSUTF accounts to college dean’s office leadership
- The executive director has fiscal oversight of state resources, SJSURF and SJSUTF accounts at MLML
- Ensures that contractual, fiscal, and accounting practices are followed in accordance with applicable federal, state, SJSU and California State University rules and regulations
- The executive director provides leadership in administrative oversight of the MLML facilities
- Oversees non-tenure/tenure-track faculty and researchers and ensures fiscal responsibility with respect to MLML SJSU state and Research Foundation properties and facilities
- The executive director is responsible for managing MLML physical facilities (properties, buildings, piers and ships) and overseeing maintenance and development of facilities in a manner consistent with fiscal resources and SJSU strategic objectives
- The executive director is responsible for obtaining significant outside funding in support of MLML in collaboration with the College of Science
- Expert in Marine Sciences
- Thorough knowledge of fiscal management principles and expertise in managing large budgets and diverse sources
- Skill in collaboratively negotiating and managing complex contracts and subcontracts
- Leadership skills that help to realize the vision and goals of MLML and the College of Science
- Ability to lead and motivate staff
- Ability to effectively manage diverse staff and research personnel
- Ability to balance strategic long term planning with the day to day activities required to oversee a complex facility.
- Ability to interpret technical procedures, policies and regulations
- Ability to assess the current programs and develop new ones in accordance with fiscal resources
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work in a unionized environment
- Doctorate in one of the disciplines in the field of marine science
- A strong record of scholarly work or professional achievement rooted in conducting field-orientated marine studies balanced with laboratory work and quality teaching sufficient to qualify for tenure and appointment at the rank of professor in the college
- Three (3) years of administrative experience as department chair, program coordinator, or other relevant leadership and supervisory experience
- Extensive experience working with complex budgets
- Proven track record in securing external funding and a reputation for excellence in her/his discipline are essential
- Direct experience in managing complex contracts/subcontracts and budgeting scenarios from diverse funding sources
- Direct experience in managing and oversight of personnel
- Minimum of five (5) years of administrative experience as department chair, program coordinator, or other relevant leadership and supervisory experience
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $13,942/month - $14,583/month
CSU Salary Range: $6,250/month - $20,063/month
The final hiring salary will be commensurate with experience.
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .Application Procedure
Please send Cover Letter, Resume/CV, and License/Certificates to Elaine Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org Contact Information
Name: Elaine Peters
Phone Number: 949-400-1132
Email: email@example.com CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled