Description: Working Title
Network Engineer Positions Available
2 Positions Available SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. Department
Information Technology Services - Network Services Appointment Type
This is a one year probationary position. Time Base
Full-Time (1.0) Work Schedule
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm Anticipated Hiring Range
$8,334.00 - $9,084.00 Per Month ($100,008.00 - $109,008.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience. Position Summary
Reporting to the Director of Network Services, the Network Analyst is responsible for hands-on support of SF State’s enterprise-wide data communications network, the underlying network infrastructure, the network hardware and the management tools which monitor these devices. The incumbent will design, install, configure, upgrade, monitor, and support multivendor network solutions. This position is responsible for supporting the network wired, wireless, and network infrastructure components. The incumbent shall interact with stakeholders in different departments across campus, throughout the CSU as well as with vendors. This position participates in CSU-wide committees on network, wireless and security topics. Position Information
Network Operations Support
- Provide 24x7x365 support for network wired, wireless and infrastructure components (including switches, routers, wireless hardware, firewalls, and monitoring tools).
- Monitor network performance, resource usage, service outages, configuration changes, and error reports to provide proactive network management.
- Take ownership of related tickets from team's queue and perform configuration, testing, installation, maintenance, and repair of the campus network components, and follow-up with resolution.
- Troubleshoot and resolve network related issues in a timely manner. Work with both internal departments as well as external vendors as needed. Provide timely updates of the status.
- Communicate with campus community on availability and non-availability of services.
- Perform installation, configuration, and monitoring of campus network components.
- Work closely with equipment vendors and network service providers to isolate and resolve problems.
- Configure network firewalls to protect campus computing resources.
- Maintain and upgrade campus network appliances and applications by performing regular software updates in consultation with the vendors.
- Assist with network infrastructure installation, maintenance, and support as needed.
- Document, update and maintain network diagrams, and maps.
- Participate in CSU-wide committees that work on network and security topics.
- Prepare and submit network status reports as needed.
- Collaborate closely with the system, security, telecom, service desk and other IT teams in providing technical solutions that meet academic and administrative needs of the University.
Project Management and Project Support
- Recommend network solutions for data communications projects based on SF State’s standards.
- Communicate with project team, project manager, and campus departments on project scope, deliverables, timelines, status, and risks.
- Prepare project proposals, reports and presentations as required.
- Provide recommendations and assistance for network equipment purchases, maintenance contracts, supplies and training.
Network awareness, training, and compliance
- Maintain knowledge of SF State network standards and policies.
- Keep abreast of emerging technology and maintain current knowledge and understanding of network best practices to offer best solutions and protection to SF State’s systems.
- Participate in CSU-wide committees focusing on networks, security, and data communication related topics.
- Identify and implement training courses and knowledge content.
- Evaluate hardware and software needs for supported units and recommend available options.
- Serve as pilot tester for maintenance or infrastructure updates.
- Coordinate support activities as projects transition from development.
- Participate in weekly meetings with network analysts to ensure the service levels and project timelines are met.
- Update the Director of Network Services on project status, service issues, staff issues and planned changes.
- Meet with on-campus and off-campus groups to determine network requirements for routine relocation and renovation projects.
- Oversee network contractors, vendors, and Student Assistants as required.
- Participate in regular ITS meetings.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Other duties as required ensuring optimum information technology infrastructure and support for San Francisco State University.
To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical information systems and application program packages is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study. Foundation knowledge and skills for the Information Technology Consultant, depending on the nature of the position assignment, may include working knowledge of common software application packages, equipment platforms, reference database systems and sources, and training methods and a basic understanding of networks, data communication, and multimedia systems.
The career level is broad and includes intermediate through senior level positions. Incumbents at this level work relatively independently and possess the experience to be fully proficient in performing most or all of the work assignments defined for their position. Typically, incumbents have acquired the requisite skills and knowledge through a combination of education, training, and progressive work experience to be able to demonstrate competence in independently applying technical judgment to standard and nonstandard applications and systems, solving a wide range of problems and developing practicable and thorough solutions, and using effective communication and listening skills. Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related science field from an accredited college or university, and considerable progressive experience in network operations including TCP/IP network, routers, switches, firewalls and WAPs.
- Five to seven (5-7) years experience in the installation, capacity planning, optimization, troubleshooting and management of large enterprise TCP/IP networks.
- Associate level Industry Certification in network management.
- At least four (4) years of progressive technical specialization and work in one of the following areas:
- TCP/IP network design and implementation
- Wireless design, architecture, hardware and implementation
- Dynamic routing protocols
- Wiring infrastructures
- Security systems and firewalls
- VoIP and QoS
- Wide Area Networking (WAN) protocols
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Experience with trouble ticket and change management systems.
- Professional or Expert level Industry Certification in network management.
- Experience with Alcatel-Lucent network hardware.
- Experience with Palo Alto Networks (PAN) firewalls.
- Experience with Aruba hardware.
- Experience with Cloud architecture and design as it relates to networking.
- Demonstrated knowledge of underlying technologies (i.e. databases, operating systems, networks, security, and hardware) preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize proven implementation methodologies and project management tools
- Proven success balancing multiple priorities on regular basis
- Proven success managing vendors and licenses
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as excellent presentation skills
- Strong problem-solving, leadership, team building, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to articulate complex issues, plans and concepts to diverse populations, including management and non-technical people.
- Demonstrated success in delivering technology projects from idea through to operations
- Demonstrated success in leading complex IT projects in non-profit/higher education environment preferred
- An equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience that fulfills the requirements of the position may be considered.
This position has a regular forty-hour work schedule; the incumbent may be required to work after hours and on weekends as needed to support special projects, to respond to network events/incidents and/or to perform scheduled maintenance.
• The position may be required to work a hybrid schedule (some days of the week on-site and other days remote).
• Occasional travel to remote sites which connect to the main campus may be required.
• This position will be required to take part in the regular network team oncall rotation.
• This position may require the ability to lift 25-50 pounds and install/de-install network or security hardware (with or without reasonable accommodation). Pre-Employment Requirements
This position requires the successful completion of a background check. Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire. Benefits
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employee. Employment Requirement
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com . CSUEU Position
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference. Additional Information SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
Thank you for your interest in employment with California State University (CSU). CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California. Because of this, CSU prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California with very limited exception. While this position may be eligible for occasional telework, all work is expected to be performed in the state of California, and this position is assigned to on-campus operations.
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled