SUPERVISING PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITIONIST
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. Premium Pay
In addition to the hourly salary, eligible applicants may receive premium pay for the item listed below:
This recruitment is open to the public
- Bilingual pay: Qualified employees who meet the criteria found ( page 18 ) shall receive an additional forty $0.40 cents per hour for all hours paid.
for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST)
on the day the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open
eligible list to fill current and future vacancies within the Health Care Agency. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange. THE AGENCY
The County of Orange Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven (7) service areas - Administrative and Financial, Strategy and Special Projects, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Office of Care Coordination, Medical Health and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. THE DEPARTMENT
Through assessment, policy development and assurance, Public Health Services
provides a wide range of services aimed at reducing death and disability by reducing the transmission of communicable diseases, preventing and lessening the impact of chronic diseases, and ensuring healthy and safe environments. THE OPPORTUNITY
Nutrition Services currently has one (1) vacancy for Supervising Public Health Nutritionist (SPHN). The Supervising Public Health (PH) Nutritionist has primary responsibility for the implementation of nutrition programs and regulations per Federal and State requirements. The incumbent will be responsible for the operational supervision of two (2) to three (3) field teams in a designated geographic area, address client concerns and work in clinics as needed. The incumbent will be expected to perform clinic duties as needed.
The incumbent will have operational supervision which includes monitoring and training personnel, resolving client and staff/partner issues and conducting routine quality assurance activities. There will be caseload/workload management and developing plans for caseload improvement. This position will also have a key role in the planning, initiation and evaluation of future nutrition projects by assessing the knowledge, practices and opportunities in the community to improve access and provision of services. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate will be a Registered Dietitian with a minimum of five (5) years of supervisory and/or program collaborative experience. Two (2) or more years of experience working in a Women, Infants and Children program and/or public health nutritional setting is highly preferred. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities in the following competencies:
Technical Knowledge | Technical Experience
- Maintaining normal, therapeutic and public health nutrition programs including current research and the food system
- Providing nutrition care and services to populations and individuals at each stage of life and for a range of clinical and socio-economic conditions
- Developing and implementing population-based community interventions to guide individual clients to choose healthier diets
- Incorporating public health functions and essential public health nutrition services; community nutrition assessments, and program, personnel, fiscal and data management skills
- Applying, planning, managing, and evaluating techniques to public health nutrition programs and/or individual client needs
- Assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating activities, projects and programs in order to meet defined public health measures
- Monitoring nutrition policies, procedures, protocols and quality improvement systems and contract deliverables, to assure consistency, effectiveness and compliance
- Interacting with mid and high level managers and government officials, directors, community leaders and other health professionals, educators and the public
- Building and leading teams and processes
- Collaborating with internal and external units to accomplish teamwork
- Facilitating and demonstrating team work and cooperation
- Applying conflict resolution skills by using an effective leadership style to inspire and motivate staff and strategic partners
- Reporting on team progress/partnerships to upper management as needed
Analytical Thinking | Judgment
- Ensuring accountability for contract and program deliverables
- Managing workload effectively, following directions and meeting program deadlines
- Operating clinics and programs with a high level of autonomy and independence
- Providing critical and relevant information to program management in a timely manner
- Being adaptable and flexible while maintaining a focus on program quality of care and service
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Supervising Public Health Nutritionist
classification as well as the physical and mental requirements and the environmental and working conditions. PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENT, ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS Physical Requirements
Must have the body mobility to walk, climb stairs, reach, bend, twist, reach overhead and stoop; stamina to sit for a prolonged period of time (up to one hour); strength to lift and carry or push and pull objects such as boxes of materials and supplies, which may weigh up to 25 lbs.; hearing for normal conversations, ability to work in diverse environments; and the ability to drive a car. Environmental Conditions
Will be required to work in clinic or community environment; may work with individuals who have a communicable disease; may be assigned to evenings and/or weekends. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.Structured Oral Interview (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by an oral interview panel of job knowledge experts. Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures. Eligible List
Once the assessment process has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination and boosting as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted in accordance with applicable state orders . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason)
- In addition, depending on assignment and COVID-19 Community Level, workers in certain high-risk settings may be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. Email Notification Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.Frequently Asked Questions
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Liza Butler at (714) 834-2069 or firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous