TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity EXAM NUMBER
Y5606I FILING START DATE
December 21, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. (PDT)THIS EXAMINATION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE ARE MET AND IS SUBJECT TO CLOSURE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE. THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REPOST TO REOPEN THE FILING PERIOD, ADD INFORMATION ON LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES (DHS), THE DHS MISSION, AND THE FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE. COVID-19 VACCINATION
All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department.ABOUT LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS)
is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. DHS operates as an integrated health system, operating 25 health centers and four acute care hospitals, in addition to providing health care to youth in the juvenile justice system and inmates in the LA County jails. Across the network of DHS' directly operated clinical sites and through partnerships with community-based clinics, DHS cares for about 600,000 unique patients each year, employs over 23,000 employees, and has an annual operating budget of 6.9 billion.
Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing. MISSION:
To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care. DEFINITION:
Assists in the examination, treatment and care of patients in a hospital emergency department, under the supervision of a physician. CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class work under the technical guidance of a physician and work as a member of an emergency medical team assisting physicians, nurses and physician assistants by providing basic technical supportive services to patient care in an emergency department. These positions are characterized by the performance of patient care services that do not require diagnosis, treatment, or tasks that are invasive or that require a medical evaluation or assessment. Incumbents work in accordance with standardized procedures and scope of practice and training protocols established by the Department of Emergency Medicine. We are looking for an individual who is:
- A licensed Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or U.S. Military Medical Corpsman with experience providing emergency medical care.
- Motivated and eager to assist medical and nursing staff in a dynamic environment
- Able to prioritize, multitask and quickly adapt to changes in work flow
- Knowledgeable in use of medical equipment and technology used in emergency medical care.
- Able to perform work with integrity while demonstrating respect, compassion and regard for patients, visitors, and coworkers to ensure a professional and courteous environment.
- A team-player with a positive attitude and effective interpersonal and organizational skills
- Willing to work with a variety of patients (i.e., psychiatric, substance-use disorders, homeless, inmates, etc.)
Essential Job Functions
- Serves as a member of the Department of Emergency Medicine's emergency response teams, including Code Green, Code Triage, Disaster, Decon, and Lift Teams.
- Assists nursing staff with patient triage, including taking vital and orthostatic vital signs, and with patient flow, patient transport and other supportive services.
- Assists physicians with procedures such as lumbar puncture or thoracentesis by preparing the room and patient for the procedure.
- Splints sprains; removes casts and other external devices from patients.
- Performs venipuncture on patients for laboratory tests and cultures.
- Prepares patients for examinations, including positioning, draping, disinfecting treatment sites and passing instruments; cleaning, irrigating and debriding wounds and burns; applying and/or removing dressings and bandages; collecting urine and other specimens, and preserving them for laboratory testing; taking cardiac electro-diagram tracings.
- Conducts daily inspections of all equipment used in the emergency treatment areas to ensure proper functioning and availability, and assist in the initial cleaning of equipment prior to transport to central services for sterilization.
- Stocks and prepares examination rooms and treatment areas, including ensuring adequate levels of supplies, cleaning instruments, changing linen, exchanging solutions and maintaining cleanliness.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS: TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE Option I:
One (1) year of experience as an Emergency Medical Technician in a hospital emergency department or pre-hospital care setting* within the last three (3) years and a valid Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification issued by one of the approved California Certifying agencies listed at https://emsa.ca.gov/local-ems-agencies/ Option II:
One (1) year of experience in the provision of emergency medical care as a medical corpsman in a military setting or acute care hospital within the last three (3) years and Certificate of completion of a U.S. Military Medical Corpsman Training Program**. CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
- A valid and current certificate to practice as a Certified Phlebotomy Technician I (CPT1) issued by the California Department of Public Health is required within six (6) months from the time of appointment and as a condition of completing probation).
Required license(s) and/or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted, or your application will not be accepted. Additionally, in order to receive credit for license(s) and/or certification(s) in relation to any desirable qualifications, the license(s) and/or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted.
- A current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider (CPR & AED) certification from the American Heart Association.***
- A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
Please ensure the Certificates and Licenses Section is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s) and/or certificate(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for each license and/or certificate as specified in the Selection Requirements. PHYSICAL CLASS: III - Moderate:
T his job requires moderate physical effort which may include standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighing over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION :
Pre-hospital care setting is defined as: any setting where medical care is given by a licensed EMT to an ill or injured patient before the patient reaches the hospital emergency department.
** If qualifying under Option II, Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their Certificate of Completion of a U.S. Military Corpsman Training Program to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days from the application filing date. Applications submitted without the required evidence of certification will be rejected.
*** Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their BLS certification from the American Heart Association to their application at the time of filing or email a copy to the exam analyst, Luz Pascual at email@example.com within 15 calendar days from the application filing date. Applications submitted without the required evidence of BLS certification will be rejected. No withhold or out-of-class experience will be accepted for this examination. Applicants must meet the Selection Requirements at the time of filing. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualification:
- Additional experience, within the last three (3) years, in excess of the Selection Requirements.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
An evaluation of training and experience based upon application information, desirable qualifications, and supplemental questionnaire weighted 100%. Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination to be added to the eligible register. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be added to the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. No person may compete for this examination more than once every twelve (12) months. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. APPLICATION FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed online only at www.governmentjobs.com/career/lacounty. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking the green "APPLY" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
You may be required to verify your email address when logging in to the GovernmentJobs portal of the County's employment website. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on www.governmentjobs.com.careers/lacounty
, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS.
Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. Do not group your experience.
For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. IMPORTANT NOTES:
NOTE: If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you may email the documents to the exam analyst at Lpascual@dhs.lacounty.gov within 15 calendar days of filing online.
- Please note that All information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION. We may reject your application at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment is made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION OR RESCISSION OF APPOINMENT.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from the Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Comments such as "See Résumé" or referencing other unsolicited materials/documents will not be considered as a response; in doing so, your application will be rejected.
- It is recommended that you provide your work experience using statements that provide the following three elements: ACTION you took, the CONTEXT in which you took that action, and the BENEFIT that was realized from your action. Include specific reference to the impact you made in the positions you have held.
Please include your full name (as it appears on your online application), the exam number, and the exam title. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal Law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
LA County Public Library has announced they are reopening some libraries with limited hours access throughout LA County. Refer to their website at https://lacountylibrary.org/reopening/
for more information.
For Candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 914-6365 California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT:Luz Pascual, Exam Analyst
HR ESC Phone Number: (213) 288-7000