POSITION OVERVIEW PN#30634 DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - PROJECT CONTROLSPURPOSE OF DIVISION
The purpose of the Infrastructure Division is to manage the whole life cycle (planning, design, construction, commissioning, assessment of condition, modifying, replacing and decommissioning/disposal of physical and infrastructure Houston Airport System (HAS) assets consistent with environmental regulations and best management practices. In addition to the responsibilities related to physical assets, the Infrastructure Division manages the HAS portfolio of assets and resources, with a focused goal to improve project delivery to all Stakeholders. Overall, the Infrastructure Division's mission is to maintain and extend the effective life cycle of HAS's physical assets and replace them when it is no longer financially feasible to extend the life of these assets, or they no longer support required Airport mission requirements.
PURPOSE OF THE BUSINESS UNIT
Program Management and Delivery efficiently and effectively manages all phases of design, project management, construction, and internal infrastructure control (people, systems, and best management practices) to deliver all projects and initiatives on time, on budget, and with the level of quality that meets HAS standards to contribute to the success of the organization. The objective of the project delivery team is to increase productivity, collaboration, communication and reduce conflicts between owners, architects, and contractors during the construction of projects in the capital development program and major initiatives.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
This position will establish, manage, maintain, and communicate the metrics and basis for progress reporting against the Capital Development Program, Projects, and Contracts. Reporting shall include Performance Measurement, Forecasting, Trending, Issues, Actions, Progress and Overall Status. They will serve as the principal point of contact for management of all program controls associated with the successful delivery of HAS Capital Development Projects, Terminal, Airside and Landside as part of the Infrastructure Program Management Delivery Team. The successful candidate will set and continually manage project and program controls while delegating and managing deliverables with team members and stakeholders. The position will be responsible for overseeing the work of no less than 10 project controls administrators to include schedulers, estimators, project engineers, senior staff analysts contract administrators, and project managers: communicating their progress to senior management at regular intervals. Priority- Project Controls Deputy Assistant Director shall be responsible for the Program and Project Controls function, for the full scope of works as is directed by the Project Controls Assistant Director.
The Project Delivery Deputy Assistant Director shall have four primary areas of role responsibility:
OTHER ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Delivery of the Program and Projects
- Management of People/Teams
- Governance of Process and Procedure
- Accountability for Program Management Systems
• Manage the set of HAS controls, performance and management metrics, and related reports to assure all activities proceed on schedule, within scope, within budget, and at quality levels agreed to.
• Manage and maintain the Master Schedule at the program and project level. Develop sequencing, interface and interim milestones, and critical path elements for HAS Program Management Delivery.
• Manage the Program budget, cash flow and financial plan for approval by HAS. Maintain the Program Management Delivery budget, cash flow, and financial plan.
• Oversee Program Management Delivery estimating and life cycle (total cost of ownership) asset costing, including contingency methodology and estimate evolution through the program lifecycle. Develop and maintain project cost estimates. Review and reconcile estimates from all service providers.
• Oversee risk and opportunity identification, assessment, and mitigation for HAS Program Management Delivery. Develop the policy and procedure for Management of Risk and Opportunities. Incorporate into the Change Management process as required.
• Manage Document Management Plan, and overall Program Information Management Plan, for all phases and entities within the Capital Development Program.
• Oversee the closure and conformance of all project record in accordance with HAS Policy, Procedures and Guidelines.
• Provide on-site leadership for project controls team by building and motivating team members to meet project goals, adhering to their responsibilities and project milestones. Prepare performance reviews, identify and provide opportunities for staff development, and other personnel matters.
• Develop and deliver progress reports, requirements documentation, briefings and presentations to various audiences, including project team, sponsors, business community (i.e., Industry Day), Director of Aviation and other internal and external key stakeholders.
• Participate in establishing practices, templates, policies, tools and partnerships to expand and mature these capabilities for the organization.
• Provide overall management of the INF Project Controls Team during design, construction, testing, acceptance and turn-over of HAS Capital Development Initiatives.
• Facilitation of collaborative communication between all stakeholders of the HAS Projects as a part of the overall Capital Development program.
• Manage resources, schedules, financials and adhere to quality guidelines in alignment with project and contract guidelines to ensure that projects progress on time and on budget.
• Manages and directs managers, reviews operations, and may establish objectives within the assigned department.
• Establishes policies, procedures, guidelines and project schedules. Reviews and evaluates correspondence and various proposed ordinances and plans.
• Manages, trains, develops, counsels and evaluates staff performance.
• Coordinates the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the budget and expenditures.
• Assists in the design and implementation of special systems, plans and projects.
• Acts as liaison to other departments, government agencies and the private sector.
• Researches, reviews and evaluates new data, reports, products and other information. Develops and interprets codes, ordinances and specifications. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS EDUCATION:
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a closely related field.EXPERIENCE:
Seven years of progressively more complex/responsible administrative experience are required, with at least three of the years in a supervisory capacity.
Master's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a field closely related to the work being performed may be substituted for two years of experience. PREFERENCES
Preference will be given to candidates that possess:
• Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Construction Management or a closely related field. Aviation industry experience is highly desired.
• Minimum seven (7) years demonstrated experience in management of complex, multiphase, capital programs, with at least three of those years in a managerial capacity.
• Project Management Institute PMP certification.
• Proven and demonstrated experience in implementing and managing a multi-project/program controls system, including financial and scheduling controls, for a major capital program.
• Knowledge of Earned Value metrics and understanding of project controls software such as Microsoft Project, Oracle P6 and other scheduling and estimating software.
• At least 5 years of demonstrated experience in managing teams with or without direct reporting responsibilities.
• Displays track record of proven success with schedules, cost control, estimating and risk-management.
• Proven track record of leading controls on programs of $5 million or greater.
• Knowledge of web-based program and project management systems.
• Proven experience in implementing and managing dashboard reporting systems.
• Demonstrated excellent written/verbal communications.
• Experience in trending, forecasting and data analysis.
• Experience in establishing and monitoring program baselines and performance metrics.
• Knowledge in the use of project management control systems.**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.** GENERAL INFORMATION SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED:
All applicants will be expected to provide a professional writing sample.SAFETY IMPACT POSITION:
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.SALARY INFORMATION:
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in similar positions.
Pay Grade: 30APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov .
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832) 393-6069.
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832) 393-6069. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.EOE - EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.