Description ASSISTANT POOL MANAGER (CASUAL/SEASONAL)
(Job Code 9419) Casual non-benefited employees are limited to working no more than twenty-five (25) hours per week and no more than 900 hours in a fiscal year (July 1-June 30). *Seasonal non-benefited employees are limited to working no more than six (6) consecutive months and no more than 900 hours in a fiscal year (July 1-June 30).
The City of Sunnyvale is seeking self-motivated, energetic, responsible individuals interested in employment to assist with aquatics programs serving the public that includes youth, teens, families and adults. The aquatic recreation programs are held at various aquatic facilities throughout the City of Sunnyvale.
Essential Job Functions
(May include, but are not limited to, the following):
- Interact and communicate effectively with children, parents, caregivers, volunteers, and City staff;
- Assist in directing and supervising of the safe closure of the aquatic facility.
- Maintains constant surveillance over pool users and staff.
- Assist with supervising, scheduling, directing, and evaluating aquatics personnel, including lifeguards, customer service representatives, and volunteers in the instruction of lessons, recreation swim, and special events.
- Assist with Jr. Lifeguard program.
- Open and close facility, as well as maintain a clean, safe, and orderly facility.
- Ensure staff administers swim tests to determine participant's skill level.
- Ensure staff plan and implement lesson plans.
- Ensure staff complete swim lesson evaluations/certificates at the close of each swim lesson session as well as help with distribution of evaluations to the swim lesson participants.
- Assist Pool Manager in keeping daily logs of rescues and other incidents involving the administration of pool rules for all aquatic facilities.
- Ensure staff set-up pool and cleanup after swim lesson, water fitness, and recreation swim.
- Perform the duties of a lifeguard/swim instructor when required due to staff deficits.
- Monitor, train, and coach new lifeguards.
- Perform related work as required.
- Issue, maintain, and store equipment and supplies.
- Attends, participates, and assists with in-service trainings and meetings throughout season.
Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking on level, uneven, and slippery surfaces, reaching, kneeling, stretching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate pool equipment and tools. The position requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to monitor and communicate appropriate pool activity. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading reports and work-related documents and using a computer. Acute hearing is required when providing personal customer service. The need to lift, drag, and push, pull objects weighing up to 50 pounds is also required. Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodation.
- Minimum age is 18 years old.
- A valid American Red Cross Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate (course may be taken after hire).
- One (1) year or one (1) summer season of aquatic experience as a Lifeguard or Swim Instructor.
- Experience interacting with the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to supervise or support staff/volunteers independently in the absence of the Pool Manager, Assistant Recreation Coordinator, or Recreation Coordinator.
- Selected candidates must attend aquatic training or must get approval to arrange alternative training dates to complete the required training hours.
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver's license and a safe driving record or the ability to supply alternate transportation as approved by the appointing authority. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Bilingual in Spanish, Mandarin, or Farsi.
- WSI (Water Safety Instructor) certification.
- College courses in education, social service, recreation, kinesiology, human services, etc.
- Leadership experience that may be from being a team captain, student council representative, or serving in a leadership role in a club, sorority, or fraternity.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Application and Selection Process APPLICATION PROCESS
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a completed application and responses to the supplemental questions to the Department of Human Resources.
City application forms, completed in full and responses to the supplemental questions are required. Candidates are asked to fully describe any training, education, experience and/or skills relevant to this position. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the application, please do not indicate "see resume."
Electronic applications may be submitted online through the City's employment page; go to Sunnyvale.ca.gov, Search: Jobs. Late or incomplete applications will also not be accepted. Please submit application materials as soon as possible to be considered for this position as this job posting may close without notice.SELECTION PROCESS:
Applications competitively screened based on the minimum qualifications of this position. Based upon a review of the application materials, qualified candidate applications will be forwarded to the hiring department for review. Application materials will be evaluated for job-related skills, experience, and education. Initial review of application will tentatively begin on Feb. 15, 2022. Qualified applicants will be invited to participate in an interview.Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and information regarding next steps in the recruitment process will be sent via email. Please check your email regularly for status updates . You may contact Faye Brand, HR Technician at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-730-3015 for recruitment updates.
Any candidate that is selected by the hiring department will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, which may consist of a background history check, as well as medical exam(s) administered by a City-selected physician(s) before hire. Prior to starting work, all newly- hired employees will be fingerprinted to check conviction history. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose conviction history will result in refusal of employment or termination. Positions which are covered by the Department of Transportation regulations are required to submit to a pre-employment drug test and to random drug and alcohol testing.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For more information regarding this employment opportunity, contact Jessica Truong, Recreation Coordinator 1, at 408-730-7331 or by email to email@example.com . For information relating to the application process contact Faye Brand, Human Resources Technician at 408-730-3015 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The City of Sunnyvale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Sunnyvale not to discriminate against all qualified applicants or employees on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion (including religious dress or grooming practice), color, sex (includes gender, pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding), gender identity and/or gender expression, sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality), ethnic or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, family relationship, age, cancer or HIV/AIDS related medical condition, genetic characteristics and/or genetic information, and physical or mental disability. Applicants needing special accommodations for testing should submit a request to the Department of Human Resources at time of application.
No City benefits are offered with this Temporary Position.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous