Minimum Qualifications Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Water Safety I ($21.50 per hour)
Water Safety II ($22.00 per hour)
- Must be at least 16 years old and have the required certifications.
Applicants must take and pass Certification Training offered by the Parks and Recreation Department.
- 17 yrs+; 1 season teaching experience; required certifications.
Notes to Applicants
- Star Fish Aquatics Water Safety Educator;
- StarGuard Lifeguard
- CPR for Adult, Child & Infant
- First Aid.
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD )
provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE
for more information.
The purpose of this City of Austin Parks and Recreation Water Safety I and II
position is to provide aquatic safety and training to the staff and patrons of the City of Austin Aquatics facilitates across the City. Required Training/Certifications/Age Requirements:
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Training for applicants will be offered by the City of Austin Parks & Recreation Department - Aquatic Division.
- 16 and 17 year old applicants require parent signatures on the applicant paperwork.
- Applicants must successfully pass the 40+ hour Lifeguard Training course to be considered for the Lifeguard position.
- Returning Lifeguard applicants (with current Lifeguarding/First Aid/ CPR / AED certifications issued within the last year from the date of training) will be required to take a review course in lieu of the 40+ hour class required for new lifeguards.
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Physical Requirements:
Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to thirty-five (35) pounds. Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues; and tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement. Ability to adapt to a variety of conditions such as daily walking, climbing, standing, balancing, kneeling, stooping, running, bending, crawling, swimming, stretching and reaching; and frequently walk and sit when leading various recreational activities. Work outdoors in any and all types of weather and/or inclement conditions; and in confined spaces.
- Multi-Position Posting:This is a multi-position posting and multiple candidates may be hired from this recruitment. If you are not contacted 10 business days after the recruitment closes, you are not moving forward in the recruitment process and we encourage you to review our other City of Austin recruitments.
- Travel:If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- 90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy: This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Tobacco Free: All PARD work site locations are tobacco-free.Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$21.50 - $22.00 per hour. Hours Days and Hours:
Job Close Date
- Work shifts and locations will vary, up to 40 hours per week.
- Evenings, Weekends, & Holidays may be required.
- May be required to work during special events outside the normal hours for programming needs.
04/27/2023 Type of Posting
Parks and Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
City of Austin Neighborhood and Municipal Pools Preferred Qualifications Preferred Qualifications
- Previous experience in water safety instruction.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Instructs various levels of classes, pre-school through Community Water Safety. If qualified, may work as a Lifeguard or a Head Lifeguard. Must be able to verbally communicate with public and staff effectively. Assists in organizing and conducting recreation activities. Plans, organizes and leads program activities. Maintains, inventories and cares for City property and equipment. Keeps supervisor informed of materials and supplies necessary to conduct programs. Cleans program areas after completion of activities and at end of work day. Demonstrates cooperative behavior with team, supervisors and the public. Leads, teaches, demonstrates and officiates recreational activities for a variety of age groups. Monitors and records compliance with safety and department guidelines and rules. Maintains attendance, activity, supply and equipment records. Assists in development of lesson or activity plans and program evaluations. Assists in the use of equipment and supplies. Communicates with a wide range of people. Provides information and directions. Encourages and guides participants. Sets up equipment for scheduled recreational activities/events. May include cashiering duties. May give direction to program volunteers on specific activities or projects. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of general safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of First Aid.
- Basic knowledge of personal computer operation.
- Ability to learn, use and care of equipment and supply.
- Ability to provide guidance and instructions.
- Ability to communicate activity objectives, programs, information and directions.
- Ability to conduct games and activities following established rules, guidelines.
- Ability to retain and use safety rules and department guidelines.
- Ability to evaluate program activities verbally and in writing.
- Ability to acquire First Aid and Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation certification prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Ability to plan, organize, motivate, lead, and promote a variety of recreational activities for different age groups with diverse interests and varying skill levels.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, volunteers, supervisors, and the general public.
- Ability to handle requests, inquiries, and complaints in a cooperative, constructive manner.
- Ability to work outdoors and under a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to work irregular hours.
- Ability to frequently walk and sit when leading various recreational activities.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the division, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires that applicants be at least 16 years of age or older. Do you meet this minimum qualification?
* This position requires a criminal background investigation. Do you agree to submit to a Criminal Background Investigation?
* Have you ever worked for the City of Austin Aquatic Division? If yes, when was the last year that you worked?
(Open Ended Question)
* List all valid certifications or licenses you currently hold.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* Do you hold a current Star Fish Aquatics Water Safety Educator (WSE)?
* Have you ever been issued StarGuard Lifeguard, CPR/AED for Lifeguards, First Aid certifications?
* This is a multi-position job posting and you will only be notified if you are selected to move forward in the process. Once the department is no longer hiring for this position, you will receive a notification informing you of such.
- I acknowledge this statement
* I acknowledge that if I do not receive an email from a Parks and Recreation Department Aquatics staff member within 48 hours of applying for this job, I should contact them via email at email@example.com or via phone at 512-974-9330.
- Yes, I understand and acknowledge
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Cover Letter Resume