About Our Job
These are part-time positions that will work no more than 39 hours per week and are not eligible for benefits. Part-time positions may have routine or variable work schedules. Although we are flexible, these positions will last throughout the year and will typically work 20-30 hours per week.
Denver Parks and Recreation is seeking MY Denver Youth Program Instructors to instruct, plan, and implement organized recreation programs, classes, and activities for youth throughout the MY Denver network. These positions provide an opportunity to make a direct positive impact to enrich the lives of the Denver community's youth, ensuring and participating in fun andengaging programming!
The MY Denver Card provides free access to 23 of Denver's recreation centers for young people, ages 5-18, who are residents of Denver and/or attend Denver Public Schools. MY Denver exists to engage young people in structured drop-in programming through a myriad of learning and social opportunities during out-of-school time. Out-of-school time recreational programming directly contributes to academic and social development, positioning youth for present and future success. MY Denver's focus is to provide safe, supportive, quality opportunities for youth to play, learn, and grow.Activities offered in the recreation center fallinto the broader categories of: Sports & Wellness; Science, Technology, & Education; Urban Arts & Culture, Social Recreation; and Community Engagement.
We are currently looking for instructors to work at various recreation centers across the city.
Job duties and responsibilities of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Use creativity and passion to plan and implement activities from one or more of the five broad categories listed above to youth (ages 8-18)
- Manage administrative time wisely to respond to emails, turn in monthly activity calendars, report attendance, and complete other administrative duties as necessary
- Shop for needed supplies and materials within a budget monthly
- Develop meaningful connections with youth, parents, and recreation center staff
- Conduct outreach events and recruitment within the community, supported by the MY Denver Team, as needed
- Attend meetings up to three times monthly
We are looking for passionate and creative individuals with enthusiasm for youth programming. We need people who can collaborate with a team and work independently to achieve program goals. This position will benefit from individuals who are innovative and up-to-date on youth programming trends, community needs, and who want to be actively involved in building a better future for our community. Additionally, our ideal candidates will have:
- Knowledge and experience with MicrosoftOffice programs such as Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Experience working with youth (ages 8-18)
- Experience with community outreach and collaboration in an organized program
- Experience buying and organizing needed supplies and materials within a budget
- Experience in after-school programming for youth
- Experience in the planning and implementation activities and programs in the broader categories shared within the MY Denver description (e.g. Sports and Wellness)
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate
- Experience: One (1) year of experience in assisting in the operation and instruction of organized recreation activities
- Licensures/Certification(s): Requires certification in CPR and First Aid within 6 months of date of hire. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of continued employment
- Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirement
About Everything Else
CA2583 Recreation Instructor
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$17.29 - $25.94
Parks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.