Civil/Environmental Engineer (Landfill Support) Undergraduate InternOC Waste & Recycling
This recruitment is open to the public and will be open for a minimum of five (5) business days and will be open on a continuous basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
OC WASTE & RECYCLING
OC Waste & Recycling owns and operates the Orange County landfill system. The engineering group is tasked with maintaining compliance with the standards set forth by the various regulatory agencies such as the Air Quality Management District, the Regional Water Quality Control Board, Cal Recycle, Health Care Agency and the Local Enforcement Agency.
This internship is an in-person internship and is assigned to the South Region Landfill
located in San Juan Capistrano
The engineering group at South Region Landfill in San Juan Capistrano provides engineering support services to the ongoing landfill operations, including drainage and erosion control; site grading designs; landfill gas collection system maintenance/expansion/monitoring; renewable energy program management assistance; construction support service; groundwater/gas/compost sampling/monitoring; and various regulatory compliance monitoring, reporting, and remediation tasks.
INTERN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Intern duties/responsibilities include, but are not limited to, one or more of the following projects:
- Perform records search
- Organize, develop and archive documents, reports and drawings that are stored as hardcopies and electronically
- Perform data entry and/or analysis
- Provide staff support with groundwater, stormwater, and/or landfill gas sampling and monitoring
- Assist with field survey duties and compliance report preparation
- Ability to assist with basic AutoCAD Civil 3D line work and calculations
- Compost sampling and monitoring
Please note this is an in-person internship. Interns will not be able to perform the above duties remotely/virtually.
Applicants must currently be enrolled in an associate/bachelor's degree program in an accredited college/university majoring in civil, environmental, or solid waste engineering and have completed at least two years of academic course work.
Basic understanding of math and science is required.
Students who have graduated within the last 6 months
and obtained a bachelor's degree in one of the fields of study above are eligible to apply.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to calculate area, volume and density
- Basic understanding of math and science in fields related to trigonometry, geometry, physics, chemistry, etc.
- Proficient in verbal communication/presentation and English writing skills
- Strong organization, problem solving and analytical skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite 2016 and above
- Basic knowledge of AutoCAD and CIVIL3D
- Experience in databases and graphics programs such as ArcGis
- Ability to work on team projects and handle several assignments simultaneously
- Physical agility for field assignments
Immediate placement is available. Interns must be able to commit to 20-29 hours per week Monday through Fridays for a minimum of 6 months. This internship will last for 12 months.
This internship will be taking place outdoors in an active landfill setting. Appropriate clothing for a field environment will be required. Interns will be provided PPE and may be eligible for boot reimbursement.
BENEFITS AVAILABLE TO THE INTERN
Earn academic credit while applying classroom knowledge to a professional workplace
Build resumes/hands-on experience and explore a career in local government
Network with professionals in their fields of interest
Applicants must attach a cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcripts to their application. The cover letter is an opportunity for students to describe career and academic goals, to elaborate upon personal and academic accomplishments, and to identify what type of internship experience they are seeking. Learn more about what to include in a cover letter HERE
Applications that do not include a cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcripts will not be considered.
REQUIRED BACKGROUND SCREENING/REFERENCE CHECK
Prior to placement, applicants may be asked to submit contact information for reference checks, and a background screening will be conducted that requires a state issued driver's license or ID card and a U.S. Social Security number.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination and boosting as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted in accordance with applicable state orders . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason)
- In addition, depending on assignment and COVID-19 Community Level, workers in certain high-risk settings may be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account. NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS For additional internship postings, please check our Web site at the following link: https://hrs.ocgov.com/careers/volunteer-intern/internships/internship-opportunities
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact (714) 834-2555 or CountyofOrangeInterns@ocgov.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous