Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under direction, to manage a swimming pool; and to do related work as
required. Positions are available at the following aquatic centers and pools :
Ashworth; Birdland; Nahas; Northwest and Teachout. Application Process :
Applicants deemed most qualified based on qualifications may be contacted for an interview. If you are submitting an application December - February, please know that it may be approximately 10-15 business days before you receive a response. If you are submitting an application March - July, please know that it may be approximately 5-10 business days before you receive a response. Application Deadline :
Applications are accepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions. Approximate employment duration :
Approximately 40 hours per week. Assigned work hours between 8:00 AM and 11:00 PM including weekends and holidays from May-August. Paid Training :
Pools will begin to open May 26, 2022 with paid training and setup beginning May 10, 2022 for staff who are cleared to work Note :
Hiring preference is given to applicants having the ability to work consistently throughout the season. Acceptable Experience and Training
Required Special Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years old;
- Prior Lifeguard or Swimming Instructor experience preferred.
If you have current certifications such as American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, CPR, AED, First Aid, etc., please attach these to your application. Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Possession of a valid driver's license is required.
- If possess an out-of-state Driver's License, submittal of driving records is required. Please submit to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department; electronically to email@example.com , by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 at the time of application.
- Candidates are to required possess a valid and current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training and CPR Certification or have the ability to obtain required certifications by employment date.
- Certifications may be obtained through the American Red Cross and must be valid through September 10, 2023.
- Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and driving record background checks.
- Passing of a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to employment.
- Maintains constant watch for accidents or potential accidents at a swimming pool. Enforces rules governing the conduct of persons at a swimming pool, warning patrons against hazardous practices.
- Recognizes emergency situations and reacts appropriately in a quick and calm manner.
- Assists persons in distress by application of safety techniques, resuscitation and First Aid administration.
- Supervises the cleaning of the pool and bath house and the operations of the locker rooms.
- Requisitions operating supplies.
- Performs water quality tests, records results and report any water clarity problems and/or alarms to maintenance.
- Confirms lifeguard, head lifeguard, and cashier staff time sheets weekly. Responsible for daily cash deposits off-site.
- Attend required in-service training throughout employment.
- Maintains personal health, fitness and endurance.
- Performs related work as required.
Closing Date/Time: 7/16/2023 4:00 PM Central