Description: Type of Appointment
: Full-Time, Probationary Collective Bargaining Unit
: California State University Employees Union - Unit 2 Job Classification
: Registered Nurse III Classification Salary Range
: $4,793 - $9,249 per month Anticipated Hiring Amount:
$4,793 - $6,278 per month Work Hours
: Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pmRecruitment Closing Date
: Open Until Filled First Review Date:
October 25, 2022THE DEPARTMENT
Student Health & Wellness Services is one component of the Student Health and Wellbeing section within the Division of Student Affairs. This section stresses the University's commitment to preventative and holistic approaches to wellbeing in support of students and the institution's mission and strategic plan. In addition to Student Health & Wellness Services, this section includes Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). The mission of Student Health and Wellness Services is to promote students' healthy lifestyles and academic success by providing quality medical and wellness services. The department provides ambulatory health care, health education programs, prevention, and healing services to students of Cal Poly Pomona.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Charge Nurse provides direction that involves organizing, scheduling, and assigning work, training and orienting clinical employees. Acts as a Lead in collaboration with the Director and Associate Director for all types of care provided in daily clinical operations of Student Health Services, including patient flow, clinical work schedules and assignments, provider schedule formats, nursing visit appointments (immunization clinics/ well patient physical exams).
- Oversees the smooth functioning of assigned area and possesses decision making capabilities to problem solve and facilitate patient care.
- Participates in the planning of an orientation program and is responsible for the orientation and competency evaluation of assigned nursing personnel.
- Provide input to the Director and Lead Physician for approval of absence requests to ensure adequate coverage for clinic needs. In conjunction with the Director, provides input into the selection, training, assignment, supervision and evaluation of all licensed nurses, medical assistants and clinical assistants.
- Makes recommendations for recruitments and provides input for staffing requirements; interviews candidates and makes recommendations for appointments. Assigns and schedules work and provides training for staff.
- Responsible for the continued professional growth of staff. Ensure that the legal and ethical standards are upheld in the execution of clinical services. Ensure clinic staff members have received and properly documented all required clinical and campus safety training requirements.
- Creates reports and reviews tracking systems (EMR) for statistical purposes to maintain operational compliance and efficiencies. Serves as primary liaison to the Lead Physician, Health Promotion & Wellness Services Coordinator, Associate Director for Health Services and Director on all clinical health and nursing matters.
- Assists the Associate Director for Health Services in writing, revising, and carrying out Health Services policies and procedures. Conducts in Nursing Quality Management and Improvement Programs.
- Responsible for the continued professional growth of staff.
- Ensure that the legal and ethical standards are upheld in the execution of clinical services. Ensure that professional staff maintain a proficient understanding of laws and regulations, and satisfy applicable training requirements (i.e.; OSHA, safety).
- Responsible for the development and implementation of a professional development training program for clinical staff within Student Health Services (i.e.; OSHA, safety). Ensure clinic staff members have received and properly documented all required clinical and campus safety training requirements. Creates reports and reviews tracking systems (EMR) for statistical purposes to maintain operational compliance and efficiencies.
- Provides quality, student-centered patient care in accordance with all types of care provided by Student Health Services policies and procedures. Possess nursing skills and knowledge to triage all patients and identify those who require immediate medical intervention.
- Provides nursing assessment, observation, and intervention in any patient care area of Student Health Services. Maintains an inventory of medical and surgical supplies; stocking of supplies, equipment and medication required to carry out clinician orders. Daily cleaning and stocking of supplies in clinician offices, examining rooms and nurses’ stations. Documents the nursing assessment, appropriate vital signs and evaluates the need for laboratory tests and/or x-rays prior to clinician examination.
- Prepares the patient and assists the physician with examination and procedures. Carries out clinician's orders for diagnostic tests, procedures, and administration of medications. Documents all nursing interventions in the medical record. Provides all immunizations offered by Student Health Services. Serves on Student Health Services Committees as designated by the Director.
- Participates in disaster planning and drills. Assists in providing services to the campus community for any functions associated with Student Health Services.
- Possess and maintain a valid license as a Registered Nurse in the State of California and certification in CPR/AED.
- Three years of progressively responsible professional nursing experience which has provided evidence of the ability to perform the nursing duties described above and has included administrative and lead responsibilities; or equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
Thorough knowledge of professional nursing principles, methods, and procedures; anatomy and physiology applicable to assigned duties; medical supplies and equipment used in nursing practice; and the uses and effects of medications and narcotics. Working knowledge of applicable state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to registered nursing and the scope of practice limitations of clinic support staff. Ability to effectively apply nursing knowledge and demonstrate proper techniques and skills in performing nursing duties; accurately observe and record symptoms, behaviors, and reactions to treatments in order to make a nursing diagnosis; respond with therapy to treatment reactions; use applicable health center automated systems to perform duties and maintain records and prepare reports; gain the cooperation of patients; analyze emergency situations and take prompt action; maintain patient confidentiality and privacy in compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations; maintain effective working relationships with practitioners and other health center support staff; and be sensitive to and communicate effectively with patients from diverse backgrounds. Possess broader and specialized nursing knowledge that supports the performance of specialized duties in such areas as, but not limited to, triage and assessment, patient counseling, and staffing specialized nursing clinics; broader knowledge of clinic operations and the development and implementation of a nursing program, including procedures and protocols. Ability to effectively apply specialized nursing skills. Possess a working knowledge of effective supervisory methods and techniques, more comprehensive understanding of nursing programs and specialties. Ability to provide effective work direction; plan and organize the work of others; assess, plan, develop, implement, and evaluate a nursing program which may include one or more nursing specialties or clinics.Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in an ambulatory setting providing nursing services for a diverse demographic similar to the university student demographic.
- Ability to apply nursing knowledge and techniques; ability to observe and record or respond with therapy to reactions, symptoms, and behaviors; ability to keep records and prepare reports; ability to gain the interest, respect, and cooperation of patients; ability to work cooperatively with staff, faculty, students, and others.
- Ability to stay calm in a crisis situation
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who physically access campus facilities or programs to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes obtaining a COVID-19 booster dose, or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest.Out of State Work
The California State University (CSU) system is a network of twenty-three public universities providing access to a quality education through the support of California taxpayers. Part of CSU’s mission is to prepare educated, responsible individuals to contribute to California’s schools, economy, culture, and future. As an agency of the State of California, the CSU’s business operations almost exclusively reside within California. The CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside California. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/v2/policy/10899725/latest/. Background Check
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. Cal Poly Pomona will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current Cal Poly Pomona employee who was conditionally offered the position. See policy at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor//documents/employment-policies/hr2017-17.pdf. I-9: Employment Verification
Cal Poly Pomona hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents.Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA)
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/v2/policy/10927154/latest/.Smoking
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/. Clery Act
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal Poly Pomona Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://www.cpp.edu/campus-safety-plan.shtml.Reasonable Accommodation
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact the ADA Coordinator by email at ADACoordinator@cpp.edu. More information is available at: https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor//access-accommodations/index.shtml.EEO
Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to the pay transparency nondiscrimination provision and all state and federal regulations that prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. More information is available at: https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OFCCP/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf and at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor/documents/aa-eeo-doc/policy-statement_2022-aap-for-california-state-polytechnic-university-pomona_confidential_20220127.pdf.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled