Description: Working Title
Automation and Cloud Infrastructure Administrator SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing email@example.com.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. Department
Information Technology Services Appointment Type
This is a one year probationary position. Time Base
Full-Time (1.0) Work Schedule
Monday through Friday; from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Anticipated Hiring Range
$9,584.00 - $10,250.00 Per Month ($115,008.00 - $123,000.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience. Position Summary
The incumbent, reporting to the Senior Director of Cloud and Systems Services and working under the direction of the Infrastructure Lead Architect, will serve as the expert-level hands-on administrator for Linux based services, automation, and emerging Public Cloud infrastructure technologies. Incumbent’s responsibilities encompass all phases of the service lifecycle from design to implementation and ongoing operations and support, covering all of the IaaS/PaaS related compute/storage/network/security/automation areas. Position Information Provide full lifecycle support for Linux based services and infrastructure
Provide full lifecycle support for emerging Public Cloud Infrastructure (AWS/Azure)
- Design, implement, secure and maintain Linux OS and application stacks
- Provision virtual machines and use automation (Ansible, etc) to configure and maintain system state
- Build and maintain physical hardware where needed
- Apply patches in order to remediate issues and security vulnerabilities, upgrade as necessary
- Monitor for health and uptime
- Ensure appropriate redundancy, backup, restore, and disaster recovery
- High level troubleshooting involving integration with other discipline areas
Implement and maintain automation tools and processes to ensure availability
- Work with Architect to leverage cloud-based solutions for new services
- Work with Architect to migrate existing services to cloud-based solutions
- Use IAC (Infrastructure as Code) principles in cloud solutions
- Assists customers and projects involving Cloud Infrastructure needs
- Implement and maintain IaaS and SaaS cloud-based solutions
- Monitor for health and uptime
- Ensure appropriate redundancy, backup, restore, and Disaster Recovery
- Design and maintain configuration management tools and infrastructure on-premise and in the cloud Champion Infrastructure as Code
- Clear and detailed documentation of both systems and code
To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in operating systems programs, maintenance, and systems administration features is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study. Foundation knowledge and skills for the Operating Systems Analyst include a working knowledge of the assigned computer operating sysems, systems analysis, and systems-level programming.
Expert: Incumbents at the expert level work almost completely independently on the most complex problems and work assignments. They possess an advanced and comprehensive knowledge of the technical specialty and a working knowledge of related specialties and are able to apply this extensive expertise as a generalist or specialist. Experts are proactive and understand problems from broad, interactive perspective and are able to develop solutions that combine information and ideas in new, unprecedented ways. Incumbents at this level are capable of leading teams and implementation efforts for assigned projects using advanced communication and listening skills. Preferred Qualifications Education:
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field Work Experience:
• Minimum of 5 years in computer/technology-related fields with progressively increasing responsibilities
• Minimum of 3 years in a role of senior or lead Linux server infrastructure Systems Administrator or Site Reliability Engineer
in a medium or large size environment
• Minimum of 2 years year of experience in design, implementation and operations of the Public Cloud
Technical skills and expertise:
• Expert knowledge of and production experience with Linux (RHEL or derivatives preferred) to support its full life cycle,
from deployment, to security hardening, to patching, upgrades, backup/recovery, system diagnostics, and performance
• Solid understanding and hands-on production experience with AWS and AWS tools and methodologies, and deploying and
running workloads in the cloud
• Experience with Infrastructure as Code, and desire to apply automation to all aspects of the infrastructure and operations:
- Experience using and maintaining configurations orchestration tools such as Ansible
- Experience with Cloud Native tools such as AWS Cloud Formation or Azure ARM
• Proficiency and production experience with one or more common scripting or programming languages
(BASH/Perl/Python/PowerShell/etc) to develop scripts for configuration management and automation
• Experience maintaining and using monitoring and observability tools - Nagios is preferred
• Solid knowledge of LAMP stack - Apache/Tomcat/MySQL, and other common open-source applications and tools
• Solid understanding of common networking and network security technologies and concepts, such as subnets, VLANs, firewalls, load balancers
• Solid grasp of systems, network, and application security and best practices to apply security Soft skills:
• Passion to understand, learn, and dissect new technologies quickly on your own
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve multi-faceted technology problems
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work in a team and lead when needed
• Ability to work under pressure and maintain positive demeanor Nice to have certifications and specialized technical experience:
• AWS Associate or Professional certification
• RHEL, OEL, or SLES certification
• Experience building custom RPM packages and maintaining package repositories
• Experience with serverless cloud workloads
• Experience with security vulnerability scanning, management, and mitigation
• Experience with Cloud migration and Hybrid Cloud deployment
• Familiarity with Change Management and ITIL
• ISC BIND DNS production support experience
• Experience managing Containers
• DevOps, CI/CD Environmental/Physical/Special
Some work outside of business hours would be required to provide systems maintenance. The incumbent will be required to be available by cell phone and may be called after work hours to response to critical service outages. Pre-Employment Requirements
This position requires the successful completion of a background check. Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire. Benefits
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employee. Employment Requirement
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org . CSUEU Position
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference. Additional Information SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
Thank you for your interest in employment with California State University (CSU). CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California. Because of this, CSU prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California with very limited exception. While this position may be eligible for occasional telework, all work is expected to be performed in the state of California, and this position is assigned to on-campus operations.
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled