DESCRIPTION Applications are available online beginning Friday, August 19, 2022 through 4:30 pm, Friday, September 2, 2022. EXTENDED: Filing closes February 10 , 2023 Vacancy Information:
Current vacancies are with the Building and Safety Bureau and Code Enforcement Bureau. The City of Long Beach requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is approved by the City of Long Beach's Human Resources Department for the duration of the vaccine mandate. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under general supervision, performs skilled inspections of construction for compliance with municipal building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical regulations and related laws and ordinances. Inspects building construction, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical installations on dwelling construction and minor commercial and industrial buildings to ensure compliance with code requirements; reviews plans of routine building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical facilities to determine compliance to code regulations; assists in making inspections of complex or very large buildings or facilities; orders changes in structural, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and related features where necessary to meet code requirements; inspects existing buildings for compliance with the minimum requirements set forth in municipal regulations and state statues; makes business license inspections to ensure compliance with municipal regulations; obtains evidence and compiles data for legal proceedings involving code violations; advises builders, property owners, and the general public as to code requirements and interpretation of regulations; investigates complaints involving suspected code violations; uses computer programs to retrieve information, enter notes on inspections and completes reports; utilizes information technology in the normal course and scope of performing duties, including but limited to inspections and permit system software; keeps records and prepares reports; and performs other related duties as assigned.REQUIREMENTS TO FILE All Candidates must possess the following :
A license and certification: current California Residential Building Inspector or California Commercial Building Inspector, or California Residential Plumbing Inspector or California Commercial Plumbing Inspector, Mechanical, or California Electrical certification issued by International Code Council (ICC). AND meet one of the following options (A, B, or C): (A)
Four or more years of paid, full-time, equivalent experience performing or inspecting work in multiple phases of construction in one or a combination of the trade experience in carpentry, plumbing, mechanical, or electrical, under the supervision of a journey-level worker. OR; (B)
Two or more years of paid, full-time, equivalent experience at the level of Combination Inspector Aide or closely related inspection experience involving building, plumbing, mechanical, or electrical installations in single-family dwellings and minor commercial and industrial buildings for compliance with building codes. An Inspection Technology Certificate from an accredited college or university and/or trade school may be substituted for one-year of experience (proof required*
). OR; (C)
Completion of a four-year apprenticeship in any one of the following building trades: carpentry, plumbing, mechanical, or electrical work (proof required
*). *Proof of required documents, such as degree or transcripts, must be uploaded to the online application at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant's name or other identifying characteristics on the form. Degrees must indicate the field of study and transcripts must indicate a field of study and degree conferred date. Candidates who possess degrees from colleges or universities outside the United States must attach proof of educational equivalence at the time of filing. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles, best practices and methods of building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical construction work;
- Knowledge of State and local regulations related to construction permits;
- Skill in reading and interpreting building plans and specifications;
- Skill in interpreting applicable codes, ordinances, and regulations related to plumbing, mechanical, electrical and/or building compliance;
- Skill in preparing clear and concise letters, technical reports, and correction notices or citations for violations of code;
- Skill in utilizing applicable software including, but not limited to permitting and inspections software;
- Skill in performing inspections;
- Skill in communicating effectively verbally and in writing;
- Ability to resolve related issues with property owners, contractors, developers, architects, engineers and others with tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to examine workmanship and materials, detect deviations from plans, standard construction practices and code requirements;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with employees, the public and members of various organizations and outside agencies;
- Ability to work effectively with persons of diverse ethnic, social and economic backgrounds;
- Ability to perform routine arithmetic calculations;
- Ability to use computers and other electronic devices;
- Ability to read and interpret structural, disabled access, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical drawings and specifications to determine applicable building code requirements;
- Ability to work with co-workers and members of the public through effective interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
Willingness to work overtime, weekend, and/or holiday hours.
A valid driver's license must be submitted to the hiring department at the time of the selection.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Bilingual/biliterate skills (Spanish, Khmer, or Tagalog) is desired for some positions. SELECTION PROCEDURE EXAMINATION WEIGHTS:
Application and Supplemental Application......................................................Qualifying
Screening of applicants will be conducted on the basis of application and required supplemental application submitted. This selection procedure will be conducted using a non-competitive process, which means applications are evaluated solely on training, experience, education, or certification. All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be place on an eligible list. Applicants receiving Veteran's Credit will be placed on the eligible list first and then in the order in which applications were filed. The resulting eligible list remain in effect for at least one year.
Based on the number of applications accepted, the selection procedure may be changed. In the event a revision is necessary, the affected persons will be notified. If you have not received notification within two weeks after close of filing, please contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202. If you have not received notification of the status of your application within two weeks of filing your application, please contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer, and/or Tagalog) are desirable for some positions interacting with the public.
The City of Long Beach is committed to creating a workplace where every employee is valued for who they are. Having our workforce reflect the diversity of our community at various levels of the organization is a continuous goal embraced by our departments, management staff, and policymakers. To support efforts of fairness and diversity, City Leadership is committed to incorporating equity and inclusion into our work by supporting staff and community partners. We are committed to promoting transparency by publishing updated demographic information for employees, including workforce diversity data and pay by race and gender.
This information is available in an alternative format by request at (562) 570-6202. If special accommodation is desired, please contact the Civil Service Department two (2) business days prior to the test at (562) 570-6202. For the hearing impaired, call (562) 570-6638.An Equal Opportunity Employer
J.O.B. K87NN-22 CBI:SH CSC 08/17/2022Closing Date/Time: 2/10/2023 4:30 PM Pacific