Under the limited supervision of the Director, the Program Coordinator will assist in develop, coordinate and implement diversity and leadership trainings/programs for the SJSU campus; and serve on a variety of campus-wide committees as a representative of MOSAIC. The Program Coordinator leads and develops the Diversity Advocate Program.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Design and monitor the dissemination of marketing and publications/relations materials relating to designated programs (e.g., brochures, programs, fliers, banners, advertisements, memos)
- Lead in the development of outreach efforts to the campus community
- Leads the planning and implementation of a large scale social justice engagement event
- Lead and supervise the student staff
- Coordinate with student assistants to assist with programs, events and projects
- Serves as a team member to help plan, organize, and coordinate on MOSAIC signature events including cultural theme months, Open Mics, and annual events.
- Attends conferences, workshops, professional development sessions, etc. to ensure knowledge of diversity issues is current and relevant to campus and community.
- Ability to assist with the production of culturally appropriate educational events, programs, and projects from inception to execution.
- Ability to carry out a variety of professionally complex assignments without detailed instructions; and handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to write and compose various types of communication, create promotional materials and presentations.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, Google Systems, Wed Design, and Photoshop.
- Ability to provide mentorship and coach students in their personal and professional development.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Demonstrated ability in counseling students and interfacing effectively with faculty, deans, administrators, alumni, and community members.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related
- Three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. A master’s degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
- Master's degree in higher education, social justice, or related field
- 2 to 3 years of experience working in a higher education cross-cultural/multi-cultural center
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,879/month - $5,141/month
CSU Hiring Range: $4,879/month - $6,950/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .Application Procedure
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 21, 2022 through November 6, 2022
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
408-924-2252CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com .Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com .Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled