Salary: $2,010.48 - $3,424.96 Biweekly USD
Accepting online applications only. Apply online 24 hours a day, beginning March 2, 2018. Filing will remain open until vacancies are filled. Filing may close without further notice.
The City of Long Beach requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is approved by the City of Long Beach's Human Resources Department.
Some positions in this classification qualify for a Recruitment Incentive of up to $6,000. For more information on the City of Long Beach's Recruitment Incentive Program please click here .
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under general supervision, receives and dispatches emergency (911) calls for police or fire and emergency medical service; enters data into personal computer while questioning callers for information; determines nature, validity and disposition of calls; may provide post dispatch medical instructions; utilizes computer generated messages and priorities to dispatch field units to emergency situations; operates a variety of communications equipment including radio transmitters, accessories and telephones; performs call reception and dispatch activities utilizing computer-assisted dispatch system; answers or refers inquiries and complaints regarding a wide variety of public safety and related matters; accesses, retrieves, and transmits vehicular or personal information to field units; relays relevant situational information to non-city enforcement or public safety agencies; may provide training for dispatchers and participate in evaluation of their performance; may act in a variety of dispatch supervisory positions; performs other related duties as required.
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
1. MUST BE WILLING TO WORK: Any shift assignment in the Police or Fire Departments and work mandatory holidays, weekends and overtime.
2. MUST BE ABLE TO: Handle a high volume of emergency calls with tact, good judgment, initiative and speed; question callers while simultaneously typing information into a computer terminal (multi-tasking); speak English clearly and understandably; comprehend, interpret and retain written and orally presented information effectively i.e., read, memorize, interpret and apply policies and procedures, State Penal Code, FCC regulations, charts and maps.
3. Ability to demonstrate keyboarding skills at 35 wpm. Keyboarding Certificate Information: Applicants must have a Keyboarding Skill Certificate from an approved government, employment or training agency recognized by the Civil Service department and obtained within the last 12 months (proof required)*.
Effective April 1, 2020, the Civil Service Department will continue to accept and receive keyboarding skills certificate from an approved government, employment or training agency recognized by the Civil Service Department and obtained during the past 12 months; this will also include an online keyboarding skills certificate** for the position of Public Safety Dispatcher. (**via 5 minute typing test).
4. Ability to pass a thorough background investigation and polygraph examination conducted by the Long Beach Police Department. The investigation will cover information regarding relatives, references, acquaintances, educational background, residential history, employment history, criminal history, military service records, financial status, legal history, drug use and related areas. Please click HERE for more information.
5. Must not have any felony convictions (you must not have been convicted of any crime punishable by imprisonment in a penitentiary).
*Required documents, such as a keyboarding certificate, must be uploaded to the online application at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant's name or other identifying characteristics on the form.
Bilingual skills in English/Spanish or English/Southeast Asian languages, experience or training as an emergency communications operator, dispatcher or similar position requiring knowledge of emergency medical or public safety operations, experience dealing with the public in a service related capacity, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Emergency Medical Dispatching (EMD), or California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Public Safety Dispatcher Basic (or above) certificate.
Performance Examination (Video Based)**..............Qualifying
**The Public Safety Dispatcher performance examination consists of the National Testing Network (NTN) Emergency Communications Test titled ECOMM. Applicants must schedule a testing date through nationaltestingnetwork.com. In order to complete the application process, candidates must take the NTN exam and complete the online application.
A minimum rating of 70 must be attained in order to pass the performance examination.
PUBLIC SAFETY DISPATCHER - POST WAIVER APPLICANTS: The National Testing Network (NTN) performance examination will be waived for candidates who have taken the POST Entry-Level Dispatcher Selection Test Battery (POST Dispatcher Test) examination with an approved agency and achieved a T-score of 50.8 or above within one year of the time of filing (proof required)*. Applicants submitting the POST Dispatcher Test examination score must complete the application for Public Safety Dispatcher-POST WAIVER.
This is a continuous examination. All applicants meeting the minimum requirements to file will be placed on the eligible list, with those receiving Veteran's Credit first and then in the order in which applications were filed. Eligible lists may be established periodically.
In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for some positions interacting with the public.
If you have not received notification of the status of your application within two weeks of filing, please contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
This information is available in an alternative format by request at (562) 570-6202. If special accommodation is desired, please contact the Civil Service Department two (2) business days prior to the test at (562) 570-6202. For hearing impaired, call (562) 570-6638.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Long Beach, California