Y5208K FIRST DAY OF FILING
October 26, 2017 at 8:00 A.M. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service
are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job OpportunityTHIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION REGARDING NOTIFICATION OF EXAM RESULTS. PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY APPLIED NEED NOT REAPPLY, BUT MAY CONTACT THE EXAM ANALYST IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.COVID-19 Vaccination mandate
All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department.ABOUT LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. Through its integrated system of 25 health centers and four (4) hospitals and expanded network of community partner clinics - DHS annually provides direct care for 600,000 unique patients, employs over 23,000 staff, and has an annual budget of over $6.9 billion.
Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing.
For additional information regarding DHS please visit www.dhs.lacounty.govTHE MISSION:
"To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care." DEFINITION:
Plans and supervises the clinical practice activities of an assigned group of student nurses and performs related teaching functions at the Los Angeles County Medical Center School of Nursing -OR- in connection with a hospital's education program for nursing employees adapts standard lesson plan content to the needs of the individual trainee group, presents this content in a formal classroom situation, and supervises its application in a clinical setting.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class may be assigned to either the LAC Medical Canter School of Nursing or an in-service education program.
At the LAC Medical Center School of Nursing:
Clinical Instructors - R.N. function as members of an instructional team under the leadership of a Senior Nursing Instructor, but, like other team members, work under the administrative and technical supervision of an Assistant Director of the School. Clinical Instructors - R.N. plan and supervise the clinical laboratory practice of an assigned group of student nurses assuring that each student is exposed to a prescribed number and variety of learning situations which are appropriate for his level of achievement and which meet specific course objectives; they meet with students individually and in groups to facilitate the sharing of experiences and help them relate these experiences to the nursing theory taught in the classroom. Incumbents observe and prepare anecdotal records on student performance and, as instructional team members, contribute to the overall planning, conduct and evaluation of the course for which the team is responsible.
In a hospital nursing education assignment :
Clinical Instructors - R.N. work under the technical and administrative guidance of a higher level nursing instructor. Typically, they have responsibility for the implementation of standardized and repetitive ongoing training programs. Whatever their individual assignment, Clinical Instructors - R.N. are concerned with basic subject matter which is thoroughly familiar to those registered nurses who have had clinical experience in the subject matter they are assigned to teach. Although they are expected to have complete knowledge of this subject matter, Clinical Instructors - R.N. will not necessarily have had experience in the conduct of formal training programs; hence they require considerable guidance and direction from higher level nursing instructors in the application of training techniques and methodology.
Essential Job Functions
- Acts as a Clinical Resource in areas of expertise; Conducts group conferences to help students or trainees to share and relate personal clinical experiences to nursing material taught in didactic training.
- Develops and presents formal classroom instruction to learners by performing such activities as: readying needed teaching materials, operating audio-visual equipment, monitoring examinations, maintaining attendance and other records and similar tasks.
- Develops teaching tools to evaluate and measure nursing competency and skills.
- Responsible for researching content, developing presentations and lesson plans. Coordinating training dates and times to meet the educational needs of areas as assigned for staff development, training and evaluation.
- Participates in or conducts formal education programs adapting standard lesson plan content to the needs of the specific trainee group.
- Evaluates learner's proficiency in making application of classroom training in clinical practice and remediate on strengths and weaknesses.
- Evaluates nurse competency and skills as new equipment and technology is available for use in the patient care areas, and determines if additional education and training is needed.
- Conducts demonstration and supervises clinical practice of selected technical procedures.
- Collaborates with other instructors to determine if issues within the clinical practice is system wide or isolated to one area/unit; Collaborates with other health team members to ensure staff education is coordinated to accomplish desirable clinical outcome efficiently and effectively ensuring evidence-based practice standards are met.
- Orients new work force members to the unit assigned for clinical practice and selects appropriate learning experiences for the group which meet course objectives.
- Participates in initial and annual nursing competency development, training and evaluation.
- Ensures appropriate documentation of all education programs according to regulatory standards.
- Creates flyers and sends information to potential nursing participants.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
1. A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.-AND-
2. Three (3) years' of clinical experience as a registered nurse within the last five (5) years.
One (1) year of clinical teaching* experience in an accredited college of nursing or an acute care or Rehabilitation hospital may be substituted for each year of the required clinical nursing experience. -AND-
3. A current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider (CPR & AED) certification from the American Heart Association. LICENSE(S) AND CERTIFICATE(S) REQUIRED
A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Required license(s) and/or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted, or your application will not be accepted. Additionally, in order to receive credit for license(s) and/or certification(s) in relation to any desirable qualifications, the license(s) and/or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted .
Please ensure the Certification/License Section is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for each license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
A current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) certification from the American Heart Association. Applicants MUST
attach a legible photocopy of the BLS certificate to the application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days from the application filing date. Applications submitted without the required evidence of BLS certification will be rejected
A valid California Class C Driver's License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. PHYSICAL CLASS
Physical Class III - Moderate: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighing over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION: TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
*Clinical teaching experience is defined as: Planning and instructing the clinical laboratory practice of an assigned group of student nurses in a registered nursing program assuring that each student is exposed to a prescribed number and variety of learning situations which are appropriate for his/her level of achievement and meet specific course objectives. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Nursing from an accredited program.
- At least one of the following certifications: CCRN (Critical Care), CNRN (Neuroscience), CRRN (Rehabilitation), CNOR (Perioperative)
- Any additional experience in excess of the selection requirements.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of an evaluation of experience, education and desirable qualifications weighted at 100%. Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on this examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.
Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those earning a passing score in the examination will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly. The names of the candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months. SPECIAL INFORMATION
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. AVAILABLE SHIFT
Any VACANCY INFORMATION
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, fax or in person will not be accepted.
Any required documents or additional information must be submitted with your application online or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply online by clicking on the "APPLY" button for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website. Applicants must submit their completed applications by 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet the SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely and correctly to receive full credit for related education and/or experience. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
In order to receive credit for a college degree on this examination, you must include a legible photocopy of your official diploma(s), official transcripts, or official letter(s) from an accredited institution which shows the area of specialization, at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing your application online. NOTE
If you are unable to attach the required documents as attachments during your application submission, you may email the documents to Germine Margosian at email@example.com
within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and exam title.IMPORTANT NOTES:
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
- Please note that ALL information included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirement. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION and your application may be DISQUALIFIED.
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. ADA COORDINATOR PHONE
323-914-6365CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE
Germine Margosian, Exam Analyst
(213) 288-7000 Gmargosian@dhs.lacounty.gov