Job Summary Mohave County Development Services is currently creating an applicant pool for current and future vacancies in the Building Division. Depending on qualifications, may fill position as: Combination Building Inspector I Range 17, Steps 1-15: $24.90 - $37.04
Combination Building Inspector II Range 19, Steps 1-15: $27.46 -$40.63
Combination Building Inspector Senior Range 21, Steps 1-15: $30.27 - $44.59To review specific job qualifications and details, please click on the appropriate link(s) above.
Below is the job functions for Combination Building Inspector I;
Performs entry level work involved in assuring the compliance of new construction and alterations to existing structures with the building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing codes, onsite wastewater systems and adherence to approved plans and specifications for the Building Division of the Development Services Department. This class functions as the entry level to the Combination Building Inspector series. This class will be used to under-fill an established Combination Building Inspector Senior position in the trainee capacity until such time as the incumbent meets the higher minimum qualifications, performance standards and the appointing authority recommends promotion. REPORTS TO:
Initial on-the-job training is performed under immediate supervision of a higher level of authority; however, as skill and experience are gained in fulfilling routine duties, increasingly independent action and decisions in accordance with established procedures may be authorized. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Inspects new construction at various phases of completion to ensure compliance with the various codes and approved plans and specifications.
- Ensures compliance to codes and approved plans and specifications through inspection of single and multi-family residential, commercial and industrial buildings, alterations to existing structures, including remodeling, room additions, patio covers, etc., and inspects swimming pools, spas, propane heaters, gas lines, retaining walls, electric service and manufactured homes.
- Reviews construction and site plans to ensure that work is being done according to approved plans and ensures code compliance.
- Discusses changes with contractors and may authorize some code compliance alternatives.
- Issues approvals or rejections at each of the inspection phases.
- Issues correction notices for non-compliance to codes and deviations from approved plans and specifications. Issues notices for work being done without the necessary permits.
- Meets with contractors, homeowners, and others to discuss deficiencies and possible corrections and respond to inquiries of building inspection activities and code compliance.
- Investigates complaints and notifies higher level of authority of the results of the investigation to determine outcome of complaint.
- Maintains awareness of new and revised codes and construction methods and materials.
- Conducts fire damage inspections, dangerous buildings inspections, damage inspections following emergencies or disasters per FEMA requirements, and inspections of buildings being moved.
- Maintains records of inspections conducted, notices issued and updates permit records.
- Follows up on code violations to verify compliance.
- Investigates complaints and discusses problems with homeowners, contractors and others.
- Contacts utility companies with approvals so that utilities may be connected.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School diploma/ GED (General Education Degree).
- Two (2) years of applicable experience in the construction industry.
- OR an equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must pass drug screen post offer.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Must possess or obtain and maintain International Code Council (ICC) certification as a Residential Building Inspector within six (6) months of hire.
- Must possess or obtain additional International Code Council (ICC) certifications as a Residential Plumbing (ICC Exam P1), Mechanical (ICC Exam M1) or Electrical Inspector (ICC Exam E1) within one (1) year of receiving Residential Building Inspector certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Structural standards and methods applicable to the work assignment.
- Materials and practices used in building construction trades and crafts and of the various stages of construction.
- County and state codes and ordinances related to structural construction and modification of residential, commercial and industrial buildings.
- Applicable building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, fire and septic codes.
- Building materials and methods, mechanical and plumbing and electrical materials and methods.
- Building safety and inspection methods and of the phases of construction where defects may be detected, and corrective measures taken.
- Department policies, rules and procedures
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Safe, efficient use of measuring aids and tools used to perform inspections.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Plan and schedule work to accommodate the needs of contractors and property owners, to assure compliance with codes, standards and regulations and to avoid costly delays in the construction or modification process.
- Interpret and apply technical information encountered in the performance of responsibilities to include building codes, ordinances, plans, blueprints, diagrams and specifications.
- Detect discrepancies in plans, materials, and methods of construction and installation processes and suggest corrective actions.
- Work independently.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel, the general public, building contractors and related agencies, and County departments.
- Make accurate and detailed observations.
- Efficiently organize workload and schedule.
- Translate complex requirements into appropriate layman terms.
- Suggest alternatives or modifications which will bring construction into code compliance.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
Mohave County provides two options for Self Insured Medical Plan, paid by Employee & Employer, to regular employees (employees who work at least 30 hours per week). Both plan options utilize the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona for in Arizona
coverage, plus the Aetna Choice POS II network for out of Arizona
coverage; when you need medical care, select a provider from the directory and verify the provider's current status as a network provider. The medical plans include pharmacy benefits.
Out of Pocket Maximum includes medical Deductible, medical Copays, Prescription Drug Deductible and Copays. TELADOC
- Summary Plan Description
- PLAN 1: Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO) Plan Deductible $1,000 per person deductible. Calendar Year Out of Pocket Maximum per Single Coverage is $6,300 and $12,700 for Family Coverage.
- PLAN 2: High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) $3,000 maximum Out of Pocket for Single Coverage and $6000 maximum Out of Pocket maximum for Family
Teladoc is a healthcare option available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and 365 days per year for non-emergent medical conditions. Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
This voluntary benefit is available to all regular employees working at least 30 hours per week. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income.
Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Health care reimbursement account: up to $2,850 per year
- Dependent daycare reimbursement account: up to $5,000 per year
This voluntary benefit is available to all qualified employees who are on the High Deductible Health Plan. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income. You may elect to contribute up to the full 2022 annual limit:
- $3,650 max employee contribution for Single coverage
- $7,300 max employee contribution for Family coverage.
Dental insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through Delta Dental
- High Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.High Option includes orthodontia benefit with lifetime maximum of $1,500.
- Low Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.
Vision insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through EyeMed Vision Care.
EyeMed offers access to a broad network of independent providers as well as access to out-of-network providers.Short Term Disability
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Madison National
Short-Term Disability (STD) is insurance that replaces some of your income if an injury or illness prevents you from working. Provided by Mohave County. Life Insurance
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Minnesota Life
Optional / Voluntary Benefits
- Basic Life Insurance / Accidental Death & Dismemberment of $50,000
- Provided by Mohave County to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week
Payroll deductions are available for the following Optional / Voluntary Benefits:
Retirement Systems / Long-Term Disability
- Supplemental Life Insurance is available through Ochs, Inc.- Minnesota Life Insurance Company for employees, spouse and dependent children.
- Tax Deferred Compensation Plan 457: this option is voluntary and available to all employees through ICMA-RC or Nationwide.
- Identity Theft Protection is available through IdentityForce, Sontiq for employees and eligible dependents
Mohave County is a MANDATORY participating agency in these classification-based retirement systems:
- (ASRS) Arizona State Retirement System: Eligible employees working at least 20 hours per week for 20 weeks or more. MANDATORY contribution rate as of 07/01/2022 is 12.17% beginning on your first paycheck and is employer matched.
- (CORP) Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Employees in Adult Detention positions with the Sheriff's Office. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (AOC-CORP) Administration of Courts - Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Juvenile Detention and Adult Probation (Superior Court). Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (PSPRS) Public Safety Retirement System: Employees in certain positions with the Sheriff's Office. Defined Benefit Tier 3 contribution amount is 9.94%. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment.
The following additional benefits are available to all regular employees:
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Payroll direct deposit
- Paid Time Off - vacation/sick time
- Pre-tax deduction plan
- Up to 80% of medical premiums paid by Mohave County
- Bereavement Leave
These materials were created to help you understand the benefits available to you. This is not a Summary Plan Description and is not intended to replace the benefit summaries or schedule of benefits contained within the Plan. If any provision of these materials is inconsistent with the language of the Plan, the language of the Plan will govern .