The City of Appleton is accepting applications for Community and Economic Development Director. This department head position is responsible for coordinating the City's development process, directing the City's economic development program, managing the City planning program, and implementing zoning codes. Work involves coordination of the development process between government and private sector interests, acting as the primary contact for commercial, industrial and redevelopment projects, development of comprehensive planning and land use for the City, neighborhood and business district planning and properly maintaining the zoning code for the City. The incumbent acts as the Executive Director of the Appleton Redevelopment Authority. Work is performed under the general direction of the Mayor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Organizational Team Leadership
· Provides leadership and promotes communication with other departments to coordinate community development activities.
· Represents the department and City in the public arena including the City Council and related committees.
· Prepares short- and long-range planning studies for support of Mayoral and Plan Commission actions.
Department Leadership, Development & Supervision
· Supervises professional staff to ensure programs are being carried out effectively, including housing rehabilitation, neighborhood revitalization, industrial/business parks, redevelopment activities and all city planning functions.
· Administers personnel activities for subordinates, including conducting employee goal setting and performance evaluations, facilitating employee development and all hiring and disciplinary actions.
· Develops and monitors policies and procedures for the Department and administers policies established by Mayor and Council.
· Prepares and manages the Department budget and annual Capital Improvements Program.
Community and Economic Development
· Acts as the primary contact for private sector developers and business community members and the general public on all planning and development issues in the City.
· Manages and promotes the City industrial/business park including land acquisition, land sale and coordination of land development.
· Works with prospective buyers and developers on redevelopment projects in the capacity of Executive Director of the Appleton Redevelopment Authority.
· Consults with property owners, developers, and organizations to attract and retain businesses and participates in the City's Business Retention Program.
· Directs and supervises the site plan review process, special use permit process, all zoning district amendments and all annexation actions.
· Serves as an ombudsman to assist the business community in accomplishing projects that require City approvals.
· Provides primary support for development of tax incremental financing projects and programs.
· Manages project consultants.
· Manages the City's investment in development projects assuring compliance with restrictions and goals.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
· Serves on the Mayor’s Leadership Team and advisory committees.
· Responds to media requests.
This position requires considerable related experience, graduation from high school, plus additional training of one to two years of college, business or technical school; or a combination of applicable experience and training.
Click here for an informational brochure about the City of Appleton, the Community and Economic Development Department, and the Community and Economic Development Director position.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete an on-line application at www.appleton.org by Sunday, October 16th. Resumes without an application will not be considered.