TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY EXAM NUMBER
Y5216R FILING START DATE
September 9, 2022 at 8:00 a.m. (PT)
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without notice.All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department.ABOUT LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. Through its integrated system of 26 health centers and four hospitals and expanded network of community partner clinics - DHS annually provides direct care for 600,000 unique patients, employs over 23,000 staff, and has an annual budget of over $6.5 billion.
Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing.
For additional information regarding DHS please visit www.dhs.lacounty.gov THE MISSION:
"To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care."DEFINITION:
Provides comprehensive in-service education services to a nursing organization.
Essential Job Functions
- Leads clinical system optimization efforts by developing, planning, and recommending strategy related to improvements of the Electronic Health Record (EHR) system and promotes consistency in implementation by regularly referencing enterprise, site and department policies and expected practices at each step of a project including proposal, design, build, and launch.
- Collaborates with enterprise business leaders and/or groups to discuss and understand changes needed to meet practice, regulatory, and enterprise objectives to be made to the EHR system that will help meet business priorities and strategizes how to get those changes implemented and functional in the EHR system.
- Identifies current workflows and develops or proposes future state workflows to support standardized clinical operations utilizing existing resources and technology.
- Formulates and develops plans, procedures, and program content designed to meet specifically identified training needs and change management challenges for the EHR System.
- Conducts formal instruction in the more difficult or complex EHR system areas of nursing technology requiring knowledge and understanding of the scientific principles and the theoretical concepts underlying specific nursing procedures or techniques, or in a broad range of subjects which may include not only nursing theory, but supervisory principles and practices.
- Identifies and analyzes on an ongoing basis, the training needs and problems of varied levels and categories of nursing personnel for the EHR system.
- Plans, develops, and implements the use of evaluation tools to measure the effectiveness of training effort and modifies training content and/or methodology for the EHR system.
- Develops EHR system related course content and the selection of teaching methods designed to achieve established education objectives, the conduct of formal classroom and clinical instruction, and evaluates their effectiveness.
- Provides go-live support and assists end users with new technology and workflow processes to improve use and adoption based on project/optimization needs.
- Communicates to the local implementation support structure at various facilities and coordinates with resources to achieve organizational change management goals.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
- A License to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
- A current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program certificate issued by the American Heart Association.
CERTIFICATE(S) AND LICENSE(S) INFORMATION; A current active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
- Two (2) years of nursing education experience as a nursing instructor* or its equivalent, in the field of informatics.**
Please ensure the Certification and License Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
The required license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the Department of Consumer Affairs, California Board of Registered Nursing will be verified at the following website: https://search.dca.ca.gov
Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must
provide their Registered Nurse License Number from that state on the application without the required license number will not be considered. A current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program certification issued by the American Heart Association.
attach a legible photocopy of their BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days from the application date. Applications submitted without the required evidence of BLS certification will be rejected. Required license(s) and/or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted, or your application will not be accepted. Additionally, in order to receive credit for license(s) and/or certification(s) in relation to any desirable qualifications, the license(s) and/or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted. NOTE
: If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you may email the documents to Germine Margosian at email@example.com
within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online or you will be rejected. Please include your full name (as it appears on your application), the exam number, and the exam title in the email message
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. PHYSICAL CLASS III - Moderate:
Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
* Experience as a nursing instructor is defined in Los Angeles County as: Develops specialized training programs or educational course content for a group of employees and students, presents this content in a formal learning situation, supervises the clinical use of an application in a clinical setting, and evaluates effectiveness of the training in achieving predetermined training objectives under technical supervision.
**Informatics experience involves the support of an Electronic Health Record (EHR)/Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system including, but not limited to, Oracle Cerner, Epic, Meditech, Allscripts or Athenahealth.
County employees who wish to meet the requirements using out-of-class experience will be considered for this examination. Those claiming out-of-class experience should describe their out-of-class duties in detail in the online application and Supplemental Questionnaire. Applicants are also encouraged to submit any supporting documentation such as out-of-class/additional responsibility bonuses, verification of experience documents, and/or performance evaluations in order to assist staff's review of applicants' qualifications.
The original license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing and the BLS Certification must be presented during the selection process and/or prior to the appointment. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Additional credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualifications in excess of the Selection Requirements:
- A Bachelor of Science degree*** from an accredited college/university in Nursing or Health Care Administration, Nursing Informatics, or related field.
- A Master of Science degree*** from an accredited college/university in Nursing or Health Care Administration, Nursing Informatics, or related field.
- Hands-on experience in EHR/EMR implementation.
- Additional year(s) of experience beyond the Selection Requirements.
***In order to receive credit for a college degree on this examination, you must include a legible photocopy of your "official" Diploma(s), "official" transcripts, or "official" letter(s) from an accredited institution which shows the area of specialization, at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online.
Additional Information Additional Information: EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of two (2) parts:Part I
: An evaluation of education and experience based upon application information, desirable qualifications, and supplemental questionnaire, weighted 50%.Part II:
An oral interview designed to evaluate interpersonal and verbal communication skills, job preparation, leadership skills and general knowledge and abilities to perform the duties of the position, weighted 50%. Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part of this examination in order to be added to the eligible register. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be added to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score on the examination will be placed on the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION: APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply"
button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment
Utilizing the VERBIAGE
from Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements to serve as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the Requirements. Comments such as "See Résumé"
or referencing other unsolicited materials/documents
will not be considered as response; in doing so, your application will be rejected
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS.
Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. Do not group your experience.
For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
Please note that the Department of Health Services requires applicants to show that they perform the specified duties listed in the posted Requirements
as their principal work activity
. It is recommended that you provide your work experience using statements that provide the following three components: ACTION/S
you took, the CONTEXT
in which you took that/those action/s, and the BENEFIT
that was realized from that/those actions. Include specific reference to the impact you made in the positions you have held.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing will not be accepted. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES :
LA County Public Library has announced they are reopening some libraries with limited hours access throughout LA County. Refer to their website at https://lacountylibrary.org/reopening/
for more information.
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed .ADA COORDINATOR PHONE:
(323) 914-6365CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT
Germine Margosian, Exam Analyst
(213) 288-7000 Gmargosian@dhs.lacounty.gov