3 rd Assistant Engineer (License held) Classification Title:
Administrator I Department Name:
TS Golden Bear Time Base:
Full-time Pay Plan:
12 month Bargaining:
M80 (Management/MPP) Employment Type:
MPP - this position is part of the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP). No tenure or permanent status can be achieved within the MPP. Salary Range:
Hiring salary is commensurate with education and experience and licensure. Benefits:
Premium benefit package includes outstanding health, dental, and vision plans; life and disability insurances; pension (CalPERS); tuition fee waiver; and 14 paid holidays per year. See our benefits website
for additional information. Application Deadline:
Open until filled, unless there is a specific close date. A review of applications will begin Friday, August 26, 2022, and the review period may end at any time thereafter. Position Summary:
The Office of Marine Programs primary mission is to support the academic departments in the education and application of knowledge in the processes associated with all aspects of the Maritime and related industry by managing and maintaining the vessel training assets. Activities associated with Marine Programs include hands on professional development of prospective Merchant Marine Officers, Facility, and Mechanical Engineers and support of course work in those areas.
Under the supervision of the Chief Engineer and First Engineer, the 3 rd Assistant Engineer is responsible for maintenance, repair, and upkeep of the training ship engineering equipment and spaces, supervising the training ship students, student workers, and staff. About California State University Maritime Academy:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on the scenic Vallejo waterfront, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1000 undergraduates and 50 graduate students.
Cal Maritime offers seven baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Marine Transportation and Oceanography. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree, as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses. Major Responsibilities
- Help plan and perform Engine, Plumbing and Electrical work for the maintenance and upkeep of the training ship Engineering Plant and Housing Facilities. Responsible for ensuring all maintenance and repairs performed are in compliance with USCG and ABS standards, and observation and participation in safety evaluation and reporting. Works with First and Chief Engineer in maintaining accurate shipboard work order and maintenance records.
- Administers vessel and equipment familiarization training for marine engineering students and supervises students during coursework under the guidance of the assigned instructor of record. Responsible for planning and organizing a shipboard marine laboratory facility for the training of marine engineering students.
- Work with First Engineer in the preparation of parts order and repair requirements for the training ship. Work with the Chief Engineer, First Engineer, and engine officers in preparation of MARAD work requests.
- BS Degree in Marine or Mechanical Engineering or Technology
- USCG 3 rd Assistant Engineer's License - Motor unlimited
- STCW - 95 Endorsement
- Thorough knowledge and abilities in the areas of Marine Engineering and vessel maintenance and repair. Specific areas include marine diesel engine maintenance and operations, pump operation and maintenance, marine electrical systems, refrigeration & air conditioning, and experience in the operation of marine environmental equipment.
Special Conditions: Cruise Requirement:
- USCG Chief Engineer or 2 nd Assistant Engineer's License - Motor unlimited
- Welding and machining experience.
- Knowledge of Marine electronics.
- Knowledge of Marine Automation and Control Systems.
The 3 rd Assistant Engineer will be required to participate in one annual training cruise of approximately 65 days as a condition of employment. The incumbent will be required to work a variety of shifts that may include working days, evenings, weekends and/or holidays. The successful candidate will be required to complete a background investigation and pre-employment physical, including a drug test, prior to beginning work. As required by federal regulations, the candidate must be able to obtain a Merchant Mariners Document issued by the United States Coast Guard. In addition, each year the incumbent must pass a pre-cruise physical and drug screening for participation in the training cruise. Physical, Mental and Environmental Conditions:
- Up to 40% of the activities involve sitting, standing, squatting, kneeling or walking; involves lifting heavy weight objects limited to 50 pounds; may involve pushing and pulling objects within the weight limits.
- Is exposed to excessive noise
- Is around moving machinery
- Is exposed to marked changes in temperature and/or humidity
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check,
fingerprinting, physical and drug testing) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position. Mandated Reporter:
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. Designated Position:
This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. Eligibility to Work:
Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire. Title IX:
Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix EEO Statement:
Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146. Application Procedure:
Click "APPLY NOW" to complete the Cal Maritime Online Employment Application and attach the following documents: cover letter and resume. Disclaimer:
The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained may be modified or changed.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled