- Position Summary
- Full-time position available on or after September 1, 2022 for Landscape & Laborer Services.
Under general direction of the Grounds & Events Supervisor the Irrigation Specialist is responsible for performing irrigation maintenance, repairs, adjustments, modifications of existing systems, planning and cost estimating of new installations, modifications and troubleshooting of irrigation systems to maintain the campus grounds safe and landscape healthy and aesthetically pleasant.
- Job Duties
- Duties include but are not limited to:
- Performs repairs to sprinkler heads, irrigation lines, valves and related equipment; clear blockages from valves, and pipes, inspects, services, maintains and repairs automated sprinkler control devices
- Establish and maintain irrigation system preventative maintenance programs to ensure irrigation system is working efficiently.
- Plan irrigation systems, estimate cost for the repairs, modification and new installation of irrigation systems taking into consideration the vegetation, soil conditions, evaporation, and water retention factors.
- Review landscaped areas and coordinate the installation or modification of existing irrigation systems.
- Work closely with contractors installing sprinkler systems around new structures to assure proper irrigating capabilities of the system.
- Prepare or revise sketches or plans to show location of pipes, valves, sprinkler heads and water pressure.
- Amend plans and blueprints to reflect changes made on the field.
- Keep track of irrigation supplies and submit requisitions to order supplies used in the campus irrigation system.
- Operates vehicles and equipment necessary to carry out irrigation line repairs, routine maintenance, new installations and other assigned duties.
- Inspect and manage Rain Master central computerized irrigation system daily to ensure that all controllers are operating properly.
- Make adjustments to the irrigation system as requested to accommodate all events held on campus and seasonal adjustments to compensate for weather variations and vegetation water requirements.
- Diagnose and repair electrical malfunctions in irrigation systems by troubleshooting using volt/ohm meter, solenoid tester, wire tracer, and ground fault detector.
- Provide lead direction to students, Groundsworkers or individuals in other grounds classifications engaged in routine sprinkler maintenance activities.
- Perform emergency repair work on irrigation systems and assist in Groundsworker duties as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Education: None required.
Experience: Two years of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or general grounds, with one year in the maintenance, repair, or modification of irrigation systems and irrigation equipment.
- Preferred Qualifications
- High School diploma or Equivalent.
- Certification as an Irrigation Technician ( CIT).
- Experience managing and troubleshooting Rain Master smart irrigation controllers with a central computerized system.
- Five years of experience working in commercial landscape, irrigation installation and
maintenance or an educational landscape maintenance environment comparable to the University.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the soil conditions of the various areas of the campus.
- Thorough knowledge of the climate of the area in which the campus is located.
- Thorough knowledge of the mechanical principles of sprinkler equipment.
- General knowledge of the kinds of sprinkler control devices and irrigation equipment available on the market.
- Ability to plan, estimate costs, and install or modify irrigation systems for particular sections of the campus.
- Ability to repair and maintain existing irrigation systems.
- Ability to operate equipment, such as small trench-diggers.
- Ability to provide lead work direction to others.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- May require possession of a valid California driver's license.
- Special Conditions
- CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at:
- License or Certifications
- Possession of a valid California driver's license.
- Salary Range
- Anticipated salary will be $3,544 - $3,898 per month plus excellent paid benefits. Salary will depend on the qualifications of the successful finalist. (Full Irrigation Specialist range: $3,544 - $5,782 per month)
- Compensation & Benefits
- Commensurate with qualifications and experience. As a member of the 23-campus CSU System, we offer an extremely competitive benefits package that includes, but is not limited to, outstanding vacation, health, dental, and vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. Link to Bargaining Unit: 5 Benefits Summary: CSU Employee Benefit Summary
- How to Apply
- To be considered, qualified candidates must submit a completed Stanislaus State online employment application, cover letter, and resumé. Applications are accepted electronically only. Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration. To apply online, please click the "Apply Now" button on this page.
Applications will be processed in accordance with Article 9.3 of the CSU/CSUEU Memorandum of Understanding. Preference will be given to qualified individuals currently employed at CSU Stanislaus in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 except when it is determined that it is necessary to appoint outside applicants to meet the best interest of the campus by obtaining specialized skills and abilities not available from current employees.
- Application Deadline
- OPEN UNTIL FILLED; SCREENING TO BEGIN ON OR AFTER AUGUST 1, 2022 (Applications received after the screening date will be considered at the discretion of the university.)
- Criminal Background Clearance Notice
- Satisfactory completion of a background check (which includes checks of employment records, education records, criminal records, civil records; and may include motor vehicle records, professional licenses, and sex offender registries, as position requires) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
- Additional Information
- Campus & Area
California State University, Stanislaus serves the San Joaquin Valley and is a critical educational resource for a six-county region of approximately 1.5 million people. The University is fully committed to creating a culture of diversity and inclusion - one in which every person in the University community feels safe to express their views without fear of reprisal. Widely recognized for its quality academic programs, the University has 10 nationally accredited programs and 662 faculty members. 94 percent of full-time faculty holds doctorates or terminal degrees in their fields. The University offers 43 undergraduate majors, 16 master's programs, 7 post-graduate credentials, a doctorate in education and serves more than 10,000 students. New instructional facilities have been built for the unique pedagogy of professional programs, laboratory sciences and performing arts.
Stanislaus State continues to receive national recognition with its ranking as one of the best 384 colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The University was one of 12 public universities in the nation to be recognized by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities for demonstrating exceptional performance in retention and graduation rates. In addition, U.S. News and World Report ranks Stanislaus State in its top 10 among public universities in the West, while Washington Monthly honored Stanislaus State as the West's No. 1 university for the money. Stanislaus State also is recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) by the U.S. Department of Education.
Clery Act Disclosure
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the annual security report (ASR), is now available for viewing at https://www.csustan.edu/annual-campus-security-report. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Stanislaus State for the previous three years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the office of the Clery Director located at One University Circle, Turlock, CA 95382.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised 7/21/17, as a condition of employment.
Applicants requiring necessary accommodations to the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (209) 667-3351. California Relay Service is available at (800) 735-2922 voice and (800) 735-2929 TDD. As a federal contractor, we are committed to attracting a diverse applicant pool. Please consider completing the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability form (your response will not be shared with the search committee) at: Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability PDF Form.
CSU Stanislaus hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
The individuals who appear to be the best qualified for this position will be contacted by telephone or email for an interview.
INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled