Description:Salary and Benefits
The starting salary placement depends on qualifications and experience and is anticipated to be in the range of $3,565.00 /month to $4,200.00 /month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit https://www.csueastbay.edu/hr/benefits/index.html About Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability. About the Position
The Video Lab Coordinator (VLC) manages, coordinates and supervises all of the equipment, activities, and student staff who participate in this facility, currently referred to as the TV Studio, LI 1075. Maintains and repairs all video production equipment, and is responsible for the instruction on the correct usage of the equipment. Provides instructional support to the instructors who teach courses in the facility. Maintains all Communication Media Production inventory. Trains, manages, and supervises the graduate and undergraduate student staff working in the facility. Prepares budgets, reports, and analysis of data and equipment. Provides video, web, and convergence services to the Department of Communication and to other departments, especially those within the School of Arts and Media including production support for the teaching of video curriculum, streaming media services, video production, video editing, and multimedia support. Responsibilities
Instructional and Equipment Availability to Students
- Coordinate the alignment of instructor's curricular goals in course based assignments and productions with tutoring of students in the lab and availability of equipment.
- Demonstrate the operation of field equipment, studio control room, and accessory devices.
- Conduct periodic workshops/ Workshops and demonstrations are conducted at least once a quarter.
- Ensure equipment is available to students and they know how to properly use it.
- Ensure that no scheduling conflicts occur, service and repair of broken equipment is sent out weekly, equipment is clean, power cords and other cables are not frayed, equipment is tested before check-out and upon return, and batteries are fully charged at checkout and additional batteries are provided. Equipment status is published; students are notified by email or phone if a scheduled item will not be available.
- Personally schedule and check out equipment when required.
- Supervise student assistants involved with maintaining the inventory of equipment in the studio, and the editing lab, and for field production checkout.
- Maintain inventory and order of supplies and equipment needed throughout the facility. Publish procedures and policies.
- Signage is clear, procedures are clearly posted and produced, and videotaped instruction is professionally edited and accomplishes objectives.
- Make sure inventory is accurate and maintained electronically in a database updated quarterly; list includes status and date sent to repair; adequate supplies, batteries, patch cords, etc. are available at all times.
- Supervise student assistants involved with developing, and personally develop, paper, video, and computer delivered instruction and signage about the operation of various equipment and systems in the facility.
Analysis and Reporting
- Assist in developing specifications and budgets for grants and proposals and assist Communication faculty in their distribution throughout the university offices.
- Research and recommend alternative products and solutions.
- Specifications and budgets are developed in time to meet requestor's deadlines, delivered in electronic format and filed. Distribution is done promptly and within requestor's deadline.
- Maintain records of usage and write quarter and yearly summary reports on usage and related issues regarding equipment and services.
- Reports about usage are accurate and delivered by end of quarter break in electronic format and include narrative analysis, equipment inventory, equipment status and availability, number of users in the lab, time of use, number of checkouts, etc. Yearly summary reports are compiled.
- Participate on committees and in meetings in Department and School of Arts and Media as assigned.
- Maintain currency of technical skills and knowledge through self-guided studies and by participating in conferences, workshops, and trainings as available.
- Cross-train in other School of Arts and Media labs and provide training to other staff during transition periods.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to lift computer equipment up to 30 lbs. without assistance.
Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of principles of providing support services; knowledge of the common principles, methods, and techniques related to the discipline; knowledge of the materials, supplies and equipment and their uses related to the discipline.
- Ability to evaluate the materials and supplies used; ability to learn to adjust and make minor repairs on scientific equipment; ability to operate scientific or highly technical equipment and to interpret results; ability to plan activities and prepare schedules; ability to use methods, techniques and skills related to the discipline in preparing specialized materials.
- Equivalent to two years of experience providing instructional support services for a unit or discipline, acting as a student assistant, or in producing materials or supplies related to the discipline; or Equivalent to two years of college with 16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment and in a discipline related to the area to which assigned may be substituted for one year of the required experience; or Equivalent to four years of college with 16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment and in a related discipline may be substituted for the experience.
Condition(s) of Employment
- BA in Communication-Media Productions, or Multimedia.
- Video (Field and Studio) production experience such as, digital video productions and non-linear post-productions and video editing on both analog and non-linear systems. Scanning, audio editing, and production.
- Streaming experience such as media production, distribution, and network related skills for LAN, WAN, and Internet delivery. Streaming media server maintenance. Encoding both audio and video and streaming. FTP and server administration in relationship to streaming media.
- Multimedia production experience such as, CD and DVD authoring.
- Web and network knowledge and skills such as network administration, HTML and Website development and maintenance.
- Knowledge of studio and field lighting.
- Knowledge of set design and construction experience.
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, MS Power Point, Windows, Macintosh OS, Adobe After Effects, various 3-D programs, paint programs, Final Cut Pro, Peak DV, MS Office including Access, DVD Studio, Compressor, Sound Track Pro and Live type, Toaster, QuickTime, Windows Media, Real Media, and current Wen browsers in Macintosh and Windows and others as they evolve.
- Experience with all equipment used in the performance of the assignments such as, Apple computer, Windows computers, switchers, VCRs, studio and field cameras, Chroma key, character generators, lighting board, waveform monitor.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including LiveScan, as appropriate), that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate. LiveScan is conducted through the University Police Department. EEO Statement
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body. Other Information
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html Sponsorship
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions and we are not an E-Verify employer. Mandated Reporter
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat. com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled