California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
At CSUSB, you can:
- Build your future
- Work with the best
- Be your authentic self
- Focus on you
- Make a lasting impact
- Work for a purpose that is greater than your own
- Bring everything you are, become everything you want
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences provides local, national, and international leadership through its educational, scholarship, and community partnership programs. The College is committed to enhancing quality of life in the Inland Southern California and the global community at large through its varied educational and research activities.Job Summary
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences is recruiting for an Administrative Analyst/Specialist III. This is an important position in the Dean's Leadership team that brings knowledge and experience of the administrative policies and procedures of CSUSB, as well as a deep understanding of fiscal policy as it pertains to both the CSU and the college.
The Administrative Analyst/Specialist III is the key contact for the college. Responsible for HR and Faculty Affairs functions within the college. Responsible for college budget for 10 departments and several Centers and Institutes, including projections and forecasts. The Administrative Analyst/Specialist III will track and review expenditures taking into account legal aspects for the various funds, hire temp faculty for the college, coordinate temporary faculty input and manage processes, and actively participate in college leadership meetings.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Key contact for large college. Work closely with multiple departments across the campus as well as the departments, centers and institutes within CSBS, to resolve many different types of issues ranging from fairly simple to more complex technical problems that require significant analysis. Lead expert for many processes on campus. Develop and utilize your own spreadsheets to track specific requirements according to the CBA. Work with HR for all HR-related issues including requisitions, in-range progressions, etc. Monitor and track faculty overload for CBA compliance, process Unit 3 appointment forms for release time. Assist faculty with the new Faculty Additional Pay System. Coordinate release time from external grants. Monitor and track adjunct faculty, determine eligibility for AY and 3 YR contracts and subsequent entitlements.
- Budget planning, forecasting and analysis. Work closely with the dean to develop budget plans that align with the university's and the college's strategic goals. Use multiple allocation methods to distribute budget to our departments. Perform reconciliations to many different budgets in different funds. Reconcile payroll detail to data warehouse reports. Design and prepare detailed budget/expenditure reports for many different users. Work closely with the dean, department chairs and directors of centers and institutes to provide budget information in easy to understand language. Ensure expenditures meet all the legal and ethical requirements of the state, the CO, CSUSB and various funds. Prepare ad hoc reports to the provost's office and the Director of Academic Budget and Planning routinely as needed on several subjects related to funding. Work closely with Academic Research and Sponsored Programs to distribute indirect funds earned from external grants. Review and implement tenure-track faculty contracts with respect to negotiated items such as faculty professional development and/or equipment funds, release time, summer research funds, etc.
- Act as lead administrative staff person for college staff which totals 23. Conduct monthly meetings, prepare agendas, provide resolution to any problems the staff are experiencing. Main resource for college admin staff. Provide training for staff, prepare user manuals, conduct temporary faculty input sessions, develop processes and procedures to increase efficiency and reduce errors. Work with staff individually and as a group to ensure they understand and are comfortable with their duties and responsibilities.
- Actively participate in meetings with department chairs, associate and assistant deans, as well as the dean. Provide research and details as needed for the meetings. Provide expertise for strategic short-term and long-term planning with respect to budget and HR-related issues, among other things. Provide input on staff hiring, salaries and equity concerns. Provide advice and support regarding budget, staffing, and policy implementation to the Dean's Administrative Team, which includes the associate and assistant deans. This requires experience, research skills, analysis and interpretation of policies and procedures in order to identify problems, and provide solutions. Situations of this nature occur quite frequently, and require the ability to reprioritize, and adapt quickly in an ever changing environment. This position is also the primary resource for various unusual situations such as Public Records Requests, internal and external audits of both fiscal and non-fiscal records. Asked to serve on search committees for departments across campus.
Full-time, Exempt, Probationary with the possibility of converting to permanent. Application Review Deadline:
This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning June 8, 2022. Work Schedule
- Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and evenings may be required.
Education and Experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of University Administrative functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate ability to use MS Office Suite, with particular emphasis on Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Substantial knowledge and skills of administrative processes, particularly as they apply to higher education.
- Ability to analyze complex problems and provide feedback.
Extensive and in-depth knowledge of and ability to apply expertise in the advanced theories, principles, methods and practices associated with the functional specialty, program, and/or organizational unit, including applicable internal policies and procedures and pertinent laws and regulations. Laws and regulations are highly complex and require substantial judgment and discretion in interpreting and applying them to the specialty or program area. Incumbents at this level often may have certification in a specialty area.
Substantial and broad knowledge of public and private entities including their organizational and operating structures, internal systems, and functional areas, as well as the impact of critical external entities on an organization. Ability to integrate and apply this knowledge to anticipate problems and assess the impact of proposed solutions on various organizational areas.
Extensive and in-depth knowledge in project management including research and analytical methodologies. Ability to interpret and integrate complex data and information to formulate appropriate courses of action which have broad and far reaching impact.
Ability to understand and analyze complex problems from a future-oriented and broad interactive perspective and readily develop proactive solutions that integrate strategic goals into tactical operations.
Ability to effectively use applicable information systems and applications in analysis, research, and reporting activities and projects.
Ability to effectively communicate with and influence high-level and diverse contacts inside and outside of the CSU system.
Ability to effectively use all communication methods and formats and to use expertise, as well as persuasion and negotiation skills, to build consensus to achieve short- and long-term goals and objectives.
- Bachelor's degree and/or the equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs, PLUS five to six years of related experience.
- Detailed budget experience, including the various funds and knowledge of how certain funds are used.
- Knowledge of and experience with PeopleSoft financials as well as PeopleSoft HR.
- Master's degree is preferred.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,908 - $7,900 per month
Classification Salary Range: $5,908 - $11,481 per month Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs which further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values which discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include, but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement. Supplemental Information
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled