Minimum Qualifications Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Licenses and Certifications Required: Notes to Applicants
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance. or a related field, plus four (4) years of relevant experience.
- Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Purpose: Do you want to feel like you are making a difference in your community? Come join the team responsible for public health awareness education and outreach about disease prevention, emergency preparedness, and vaccine hesitancy. This position is dedicated to implementing the budget and media buys for marketing plans and focused advertising, primarily in Spanish speaking communities and communities of color in Travis County. This role is responsible for buying media ads in digital, print, TV, and radio advertising to the identified demographics. This position will work closely with the Health Equity Community Engagement Division, Epidemiology Unit, Office of the Director, and Office of the Medical Director to determine data and community driven advertising.All applicants must include a portfolio or samples of work to this application. When public health responds to an emergency, you may be assigned activities that are outside your regular job description. This may involve responding at any time, including nights and weekends with possible deployment to locations other than Austin Public Health.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
If you are selected to interview:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A résumé is required but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference Travel:
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program,
you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations. Additional Information:
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation ( CBI ).
- If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
- Candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment.
- All Austin Public Health worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any Austin. Public Health worksite - including parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
- Skill in perceiving and reacting sensitively to the needs of others.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of required HIPAA and other Texas privacy laws.
- Application of good knowledge of current cultural, social, economic, and public health issues and community demographics.
- Interacts with clients, community partners and co-workers with fairness and equity and deliver services free of bias or prejudice.
- Ensure the health and safety of the community within ability and resources and treat the diverse customers with thoughtful listening and respect.
Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide is current, secure, and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our e-mails or fail to check your inbox in a timely manner.
Any Personal Protective Equipment ( PPE ) needed will be provided.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days. Pay Range
Monday-Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm Job Close Date
07/07/2022 Type of Posting
Austin Public Health Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Bergstrom Tech - 6800 Burleson Rd Austin, TX Preferred Qualifications Preferred Experience:
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Bilingual Spanish-English.
- Experience writing scripts.
- Experience managing a budget.
- Experience working with news media and social media.
- Knowledge of market segmentation, media markets and media purchasing process.
Develops and maintains budget for projects. Develops and evaluates long-range market planning/strategies. Works with neighborhood associations, community leaders, political action groups, and other interested groups with on-going projects. Uses graphic design principles to support marketing communication campaigns. Conducts market research and needs assessment surveys, and maintains research and client databases. Researches requests for information. Initiates, designs, and manages the development of promotional campaigns. Acts as representative for programs. Manages and plans projects/accounts. Conducts presentations, tours, and public education programs. Evaluates effectiveness of programs. Provides marketing consultation to clients. Works with outside vendors (media buying, print buying, etc.). Develops contracts, surveys, documentation, and forms. Maintains Web content; and develops digital advertising, promotional campaigns, and strategies. Writes, edits, and follows up on news releases. Coordinates, writes, and edits internal and external information/data. Develops and generates reports. Provides and develops graphic designs. Bears responsibility for larger individual projects or acts as an account representative for client programs. Works on assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations. Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- May lead and provide training and guidance to others.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes assessing customer needs, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluating customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of market strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Ability to write and conduct research.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train and lead others.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for this position are graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance. or a related field, plus four (4) years of relevant experience. Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position?
* Due to working in high risk areas, applicants applying for this position must comply with the departments immunization policy as a condition of employment. Can you meet this requirement?
- Yes, I will comply to the vaccinations required by the APH department
- No, I cannot meet this requirement
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* Due to the responsibilities related to this position the top candidate will be subject to the Financial Responsibilities Criminal Background Investigation. Do you agree to submit to this Financial Responsibilities CBI?
* In the prior twelve months have you been employed by, owned any interest in, or been an officer or board member, for any business entity, including a non-profit organization, that is transacting any business with the City of Austin, including a recipient of any contracts, grants, or any funds of any kind from the City of Austin?
If you answered yes to the question above, please describe your experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* Are you available to work after-hours/weekends as needed, including but not limited to incident-response and project-work?
* Describe a time when you managed a marketing campaign budget. What did you learn from it?
(Open Ended Question)
* How would you apply your skills to develop advertising for those who do not speak English or do not have access to internet or cell phone?
(Open Ended Question)
* Select the statement that best describes your English/Spanish bilingual fluency level.
- I speak both English and Spanish fluently
- I speak some Spanish
- I understand some Spanish
- I am fluent in English only
* Are you able to travel to multiple sites as part of your regular job duties?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Other Document Optional Documents